Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
mduijkers
Edge User

Adding epub files to the library.. its not working for me

Hi,
can anyone confirm if it's indeed possible to add epub books to the library?
I had never done this before (all pdf for me so far) and can't now that I try.

When I try to open it i says : open as text/image etc, But it should give me the possibility to add it to the library or open it directly on the eink side. As with Pdf's.
I belief it does the same whenever I want to open a file with a file extension it does not recognize.

Strange thing is; the icon is that of a book so I think part sees it correctly.

I tried several epubs from gutenberg.org,
for example alice in wonderland;

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11

Can anyone confirm/reproduce/debunk this error?

pdf's work propperly. On latest update. Full edge.

Last edited by mduijkers; 02-19-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

You should use the "Storage" app to find the EPUBs, and when you tap-and-hold on an EPUB you should see an "Add to Library" option.

ES File Explorer (and Astro I would guess) don't seem to support "Add to Library".

Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
NiaTrue
Edge User

It's definitely possible. Are you sure the epub files have the right extension? If you downloaded them from Gutenberg, you should be able to click on the download indicator and open them in the reader. And if you navigate to the file location using the native library, you can add them to the internal library by clicking on the checkbox icon in the top right corner, then selecting the files you want to add, then choosing Add to Library at the bottom of the screen.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
prios
Edge User

Error while adding

I purchased and downloaded an EPUB using Adobe Digital Editions.
When I try Add to Library, I get the red exclamation mark in the notifications, with the message Error while adding: <book-name>.epub
I can see other downloaded EPUBs in the library, but I believe they were not purchased.
Anyone has any clue on what this error message could mean? Or how I could find more about it?

The full error message says:
Error while adding: /sdcard/Digital Editions/book_name.epub does not exist

If I try the Open in Reader option, nothing happens.

Last edited by prios; 03-27-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prios View Post
I purchased and downloaded an EPUB using Adobe Digital Editions.
When I try Add to Library, I get the red exclamation mark in the notifications, with the message Error while adding: <book-name>.epub
I can see other downloaded EPUBs in the library, but I believe they were not purchased.
Anyone has any clue on what this error message could mean? Or how I could find more about it?
Generally it means you bought it with a different email than you have the edge registered with. Not the registration on the edge web-site, but the one you used at the startup of your edge. This registration is what allows the eink to open DRM protected books. Your Adobe ID, edge registration and the email you register with when purchasing a book must all be the same.

Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Cheyenne is certainly correct about the registration part.

If you've done your registration correctly, then try using the Storage app (or ES File Explorer) to copy (not move) the file into "Internal Storage"/"Downloads" (or /sdcard/Downloads if you're using ES file explorer). I suggest this because the exact error message you're seeing may be due either to file permission issues or the space in "Digital Editions". Also, remove any non-alphanumeric characters from the file name, other than ".", "-" and "_". Try adding the copied/renamed file.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
prios
Edge User

It turns out the file was corrupt. I just copied it again from ADE and it worked.
I guess I will just be extra careful with file transfers from ADE from now on.
Thanks a lot for the help, people!