Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
For Our MR Aussie Pals -- and all who admire them

There's a problem with bloody Australians: They don't sing their own praises as a rule. And they blush when others do.

They are my heroes.

Didn't know where to post this wee thought, so I'll take the liberty of posting it here. I've been around these boards long enough to know that you know I don't tootle my own wee indie publishing company's horn too loudly, seldom mention a new BB release, never mention my blog. I don't have a flashy and flashing sig line. I'm just another member here. Grateful, humble and happy with that. Thrilled to be in such company.

But in heartfelt admiration of our Aussie mates here at MR (who are never down under), I dedicate my poor blog post this morning to the lesson they teach us all. Listen to them sing! No hands obediently on hearts, no solemn faces, no majestic military bands ... just a bunch of Aussies in tee-shirts and wheel chairs with smiles on their glowing, multi-hued faces reminding us all in the free-and-easy atmosphere of an informal canteen ... We are One ... But We are Many!

Gotta love those Bruces and Sheilas.

Give my blog a visit (just this once -- honest -- I don't mean to promote it or make it a habit ... just this once, please). Every hit on the video cuts a little slice of the Google ad income toward the flood fund. A nice gesture, but our cobbers couldn't give a tuppeny's. They know she'll be right.

Most of 'em will consider my words dunny-worthy.

Love and luck. Neil

The post is here: http://www.bewritebooks.blogspot.com/
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Thanks for those kind thoughts Neil.
The past few months here have been surreal. As it rained and rained during December we watched in disbelief as an area of Queensland bigger than France and Germany combined disappeared under flood waters.
In January the focus shifted south to my part of the state and after 3 days of rain where almost 500mm fell I sat exhausted with blisters on my hands from trying to keep the water out of my house and saw the devasting inland tsunami that destroyed so many lives and homes in Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley. In an instant I had forgotten the pain of my sore hands and aching back.
Over the next few days many 1000s of homes and businesses were flooded in Brisbane and the water made it's way to the ocean. Next in Far North Queensland was Cyclone Yasi a massive category 5 cyclone as big as Hurricane Katrina. Would it ever end? Most of my state (which is HUGE) was declared a Natural Disaster area.
Of course at the same time parts of New South Wales and Victoria were also flooded and now Western Australia is suffering from dangerous bush fires. Oh if only we could send them some of our rain!

Thanks for posting the 'I am Australian' clip - I love that song - it always makes me so proud to be an Australian.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Thanks Neil (now following your blog as well)
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Woke up this morning to find several more bush fires have broken out, including one not far from where I work. Seems also Darwin is battening down with a category one cyclone alert.

In times like this us Aussies shift from being a little statecentric to one nation, all supporting each other.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Woke up this morning to find several more bush fires have broken out, including one not far from where I work. Seems also Darwin is battening down with a category one cyclone alert.

In times like this us Aussies shift from being a little statecentric to one nation, all supporting each other.
Yes, normally we all love poking fun at other states and boo or cheer every time we play state sports games. But at this time we all get together and support each other. My normally hard-nosed musician friends, who won't get out of bed for less than their minimum fee, jumped at the chance to give their services free for benefit concerts (and raised thousands of dollars) and several who had family in Queensland flew up to help with clean ups.
No doubt we will revert back to our usual rivalry in good times, but we all have "flood stories" or "bushfire stories", everyone I know has either been personally affected by some natural disaster over the years or has a close family member or friend who has suffered - it's one degree of separation, not six.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had a big world map hanging next to my desk for donkeys' years. This month, I turned it upside down with the South Pole at the top and the North Pole at the bottom in some kind of cock-eyed tribute to courageous Oz (where I have so many close friends and very close family).

Heck, there's no reason in cosmology why our maps and globes are positioned the way they are -- sheer elitist habit! Who are we to describe Australia and New Zealand as 'Down Under' when they're so obviously anything but?

And you know what? Now that I'm finding my way around my new view of the world, I reckon it looks better than it did before.

Cheers. Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11P0227.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	66770  

Last edited by neilmarr; 02-16-2011 at 05:47 AM. Reason: to add image
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Heck, there's no reason in cosmology why our maps and globes are positioned the way they are -- sheer elitist habit! Who are we to describe Australia and New Zealand as 'Down Under' when they're so obviously anything but?
90% of the world's population lives in the northern hemisphere. Reason enough.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Well, 90% of the desktop computers run Windows... doesn't say much

Besides, if 90% is on top, then the globe should topple over and then be on the bottom - physics and all
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Well, 90% of the desktop computers run Windows... doesn't say much

Besides, if 90% is on top, then the globe should topple over and then be on the bottom - physics and all
Well, it does tilt; but the moon prevents it from toppling completely over.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr

***90% of the world's population lives in the northern hemisphere. Reason enough***

Not for me, TubeMonkey. The uppermost part contains zero population.

Our maps are hung the way they are because when the first were drawn up, we didn't even know there was such a place as a southern hemisphere. We didn't even know the earth was a sphere.

As far as cosmology is concerned, there is no top and bottom of a planet or sun ... they all hang in space, pretty much spherical ... and the universal POV doesn't recognise the top from the bottom.

Any human artist would see sense in placing the bulk of information in a work at the base for sheer aesthetic balance.

I know you're joking, though, mate. So am I. It doesn't matter a jot. The world is one country, mankind its citizen, however you want to roll your globe. Bestests. Neil
Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Gerardus Mercator was interested in helping ships travel in the North Atlantic. the orientation worked for him and most maps derive, directly or indirectly from the Mercator approach.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr

Are we splitting hairs now? OK if so, it's fun. But -- maps apart, all I was trying to say in my OP is that Down Under is the tops. Neil
Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
***90% of the world's population lives in the northern hemisphere. Reason enough***

Not for me, TubeMonkey. The uppermost part contains zero population.
...touche.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Thanks Neil (now following your blog as well)

I too will be following the blog, and I think that this post was a lovely gesture.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
I'm going to say something very controversial in this thread, sorry but it's true!

Australians living in Canada are some of the nicest people I have ever met, I mean that full heartedly. Australians I meet here in Asia, sorry, tend to be loud brash and drink too much beer...errr never mind they are the same :P

OY OY OY!
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote