Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #316
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
It is available at The Internet Archive here:
http://www.archive.org/details/intel...life00hameuoft
in PDF, djvu, flip book or text formats.
Thanks again Patricia. I am really impressed with your knowledge of all these sites. I have downloaded the pdf version and will see what it looks like on the Cybook.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #317
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Can anyone find an electronic version of Selma Lagerlöf's "The Story of Gösta Berling" (in English)? There's a couple of PDFs available at the Internet Archive, but I'd prefer a text-only version.

And, by the way, can you find, as well, the year Pauline Bancroft Fach (the translator) died? (The translation is dated 1898, so it should be PD in the US anyway.)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #318
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Can anyone find an electronic version of Selma Lagerlöf's "The Story of Gösta Berling" (in English)? There's a couple of PDFs available at the Internet Archive, but I'd prefer a text-only version.

And, by the way, can you find, as well, the year Pauline Bancroft Fach (the translator) died? (The translation is dated 1898, so it should be PD in the US anyway.)
It looks like an easy enough conversion (the text is not nightmarishly tiny nor full of weird tables in small font sizes); I'd be happy to do the OCR & correction. How would you like the text--with all the original page #'s & headers, original line breaks, or reflowed as paragraphs & remove page numbers and so on?

(I work with FineReader 7 Pro, if that helps any.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #319
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
It looks like an easy enough conversion (the text is not nightmarishly tiny nor full of weird tables in small font sizes); I'd be happy to do the OCR & correction. How would you like the text--with all the original page #'s & headers, original line breaks, or reflowed as paragraphs & remove page numbers and so on?
If you can do it I'll give you a big

I'd prefer just the text, without page numbers, reflowed as paragraphs (either separated by blank lines or in HTML <p></p>. Just the bare minimal formatting needed (italics, if any, marked with underscores or <i></i>).

I think http://www.archive.org/details/storyofgstaber00lageuoft is fine, but tell me if you use a different version (there is a "full text" available, but I fear these automatic OCR conversions...). PM me when you have something
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #320
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'd be super happy if someone could put up "South" by Ernest Shackleton. It was published in 1919, so I can't see why it's not in Public Domain. I'm suprised it's not up here yet.

Ahh I found it on Gutenberg. http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5199.

Last edited by lilac_jive; 09-05-2009 at 05:11 PM.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #321
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'd be super happy if someone could put up "South" by Ernest Shackleton. It was published in 1919, so I can't see why it's not in Public Domain. I'm suprised it's not up here yet.

I'll convert it.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #322
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post

Quote:
I'll convert it.
This is the very reason I created GuteBook, so that one could do it themselves or have an experienced ebook creator have a head start.

As an exercise, I converted PG Etext-No. 5199 using my GuteBook preprocessor and then tweaked a few things (added all illustrations at the end, added styles for centering headings, etc.) and am able to produce an illustrated version of that HTML ebook in the .epub, .lrf, .mobi, and both .imp formats, at the same time.

The GuteBook original output took only two to three minutes whereas the tweaking to make the ebook look better took about an hour.

As I mainly convert from HTML to ebook formats, I know a lot of work-arounds when things don't look just right. A lot of that knowledge was instilled into GuteBook, but manual intervention is always required when the HTML ebooks are complex.

I'll later compare with Patricia's offerings to see how "automated + tweaked" faired with Patricia's BD methods.

In the meantime, if you would like to see the .epub version, I'll post it here, as Patricia normally doesn't do .epub...

EDIT: .epub attachment moved to it's own thread here.

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-07-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: moved .epub attachment to it's own thread
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #323
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must take a closer look at GuteBook, Nick.
We were both lucky, in that this was a nice, clean text.
You've added more pictures than I have. However, my version of the Appendix on Whaling has a clearer diagram of the types of whales, and I replaced the ditto marks in the list of whale-oil prices with text. But GuteBook seems to handle the bulk of the text very well.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #324
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I must take a closer look at GuteBook, Nick.
That sounds great and I'm glad you may find it useful. If you need any help getting started/oriented, post here, post in the GuteBook thread, or just PM me.

GuteBook is still evolving as I convert more and more PG ebooks, but the ebooks with Etext-No. greater than 10,000 work better as the HTML produced is more consistent and convertible to ebooks. The Etext-No.'s below 3,000 should not even be attempted...

Quote:
We were both lucky, in that this was a nice, clean text.
You've added more pictures than I have. However, my version of the Appendix on Whaling has a clearer diagram of the types of whales, and I replaced the ditto marks in the list of whale-oil prices with text. But GuteBook seems to handle the bulk of the text very well.
All the illustrations were linked from the List of Illustrations, but were never part of the ebook, in that way. That works for browsers, but not for ebook creation programs. My initial GuteBook ebooks crashed or didn't display them until I explicity included them in the HTML source (at the end). I just copied the HTML code and performed some RegEx's and got all the images with their caption below without re-typing (that's why I included more of them). Then I again used a RegEx to insert the hyperlink names back to the List of Illustrations.

I did notice that those ditto marks ("" "") didn't translate well into the eboks as well as that Whaling chart, but didn't think of your solution. It now looks very nice WITH your corrections, thanks for the advice. BTW, I did notice that your Whaling chart had some jpeg artifacting so I used a .gif instead for my version. Crisp and clean without artifacting!

Do you mind if I upload my versions to your ebook posting for comparison purposes; otherwise I can post them ALL in my GuteBook thread?

Also, with GuteBook, I create .lit and .pdb (ereader) versions but have no way of testing them on hardware/software readers and would like to see the members' reactions to same.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #325
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Do you mind if I upload my versions to your ebook posting for comparison purposes; otherwise I can post them ALL in my GuteBook thread?
Feel free, Nick.
Or post your upload in the EPub section, so that people can find it easily.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #326
nrapallo

Quote:
Feel free, Nick.
Or post your upload in the EPub section, so that people can find it easily.
Thanks, I'll do just that!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #327
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Thanks nrpallo, but I'm going to take Patricia's because I prefer LRF format. That is a cool thing though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #328
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I would dearly love to see a nicely formatted version of 'The Golden Treasury' edited by Francis Turner Plagrave. Manybooks.net has the PG version, but the extra space between the lines looks terrible. I am not sure that illustrations may be available either. This is one that really needs to be fixed by by hand but I lack the software to do this myself.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:01 AM   #329
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I would dearly love to see a nicely formatted version of 'The Golden Treasury' edited by Francis Turner Plagrave. Manybooks.net has the PG version, but the extra space between the lines looks terrible. I am not sure that illustrations may be available either. This is one that really needs to be fixed by by hand but I lack the software to do this myself.
You may lack it at present, but you could always download BookDesigner (to name but one possibility) and have a go.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #330
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You may lack it at present, but you could always download BookDesigner (to name but one possibility) and have a go.
Well yes, Sigil comes to mind, too!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote