Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #901
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
I'm trying to DL the last firmware for the mini... each time the DL end at few mega (1mo to 4mo).
No error message during DL, just like if it was it normal size... but zip is corrupt.
Another way to DL it ?
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:54 AM   #902
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbdsf View Post
I'm trying to DL the last firmware for the mini... each time the DL end at few mega (1mo to 4mo).
No error message during DL, just like if it was it normal size... but zip is corrupt.
Another way to DL it ?
Ok, now it work...
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #903
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi guys,

I've seen that there is a way to backup the Kobo's firmware on an SD card without opening it with a little script.

1- Who has tested on a Glo?

2- Who can give us a little tutorial to do it and the script used?

3- Does it backup all the internal memory (I wanna say firmware + books + parameters) like a image file of the partition or does it just save the firmware?

4- Another way should be to do something like this with a linux to backup the entire main memory in an image file called backup.bz2 for example :

CAUTION : not tested !

#command to make backup of the kobo's internal memory
#in this example case the kobo memory appears as "/dev/sdb1"
dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/tmp/kobo-original-sd.img

#restore backup image of the kobo's internal memory
#in this example case the kobo's internal memory appears as "/dev/sdb1"
dd if=/tmp/kobo-original-sd.img of=/dev/sdb1

What do you think about this last solution? after recovery, the kobo should be able to boot, isn't it?

Last edited by akorx; 06-30-2014 at 04:03 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:15 AM   #904
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Any idea about backups ?
Old 06-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #905
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Any idea about backups ?
You mean with your suggestion in the post before? No idea. The lack of response might have been because the post wasn't in a particularly good place for it. It would have been better either on the thread that discussed the backup script or a new thread. That thread did explain it.

Your dd command to backup the card will probably work. But, I don't know if the image it creates would be usable. It is an image of a disk that the OS was booted from, so there could be issues. The restore is more problematic. If you intend to do that without opening the device, it probably won't work. And it would be pointless. To run it, you would need a working device, to replace the rc5, or similar script, and start the device. Then restart it after rewriting the internal card. I'm not sure what the point would be and my feeling is that it wouldn't work. But, I am no expert of that sort of thing, so I could be wrong.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #906
akorx
Addict

Hi guys,

I've tested my backup... and all is ok !

The process :

1. Power down you device : it MUST BE TOTALLY powered down ! and take the microsd card that is inside your device (this is the main memory).

2. Insert your sd card in the good slot of your computer and on linux open a terminal type "lsblk"... you will see few lines and one with something like this :

mmcblk0
- mmcblk0p1 256 Mo
- mmcblk0p2 256 Mo
- mmcblk0p3 1,3 Go

3. Be sure you have free space in /tmp equal to 4 Go (this is the size of your default card).

4. Now if you want to backup your kobo's internal memory, type this in a terminal (and WAIT the end !)
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/tmp/kobo-original-sd.img

5. And if you want to restore your kobo's internal memory, type this in a terminal :
dd if=/tmp/kobo-original-sd.img of=/dev/mmcblk0

PS : you can use a new card to restore you backup... if this new card has a greater capacity you can increase the volume (to store more ebooks !) with gparted !

Each step (backup or restore) take about 20/30 minutes...

NB : sorry for my bad english...

Last edited by akorx; 07-02-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #907
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi guys,

I've tested my backup... and all is ok !
I must have missed something. From your first post, you seemed to be asking about a backup method without opening the device. The method you outlined has been discussed, such as https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209122. That one uses Windows tools, but the linux commands are discussed elsewhere. And there are several threads devoted to people asking for copies of images produced by this method so they can get their bricked devices working again.

Your instructions are good and more succinct than any I can quickly find. But, as I said before, this thread is not the appropriate place for them. You would be much better starting a new thread to discuss this and make it easier for people to find.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #908
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Hi guys,

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/tmp/kobo-original-sd.img

dd if=/tmp/kobo-original-sd.img of=/dev/mmcblk0
Minor suggestion; compress the output file...
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | gzip > /tmp/kobo-original-sd.img.gz

and then

gunzip /tmp/kobo-original-sd.img.gz - | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:36 AM   #909
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
You can take an image of the partitions without opening the device, adding the dd lines in rcS, before partitions are mounted. Not sure if the space will be enough. You could try to dump it to the rescue partition.

You can also try to add bs=1M to the dd command, and use a slowest compression, like gzip -9 or bzip.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 07-03-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #910
akorx
Addict

Good Idea Peter to use compression...

Lucas Malor, you wanna mean that if we umount the partitions we will able to do this image ?
I'm not sure, explanation : I plug my kobo to my computer OS (here linux), it mounts partitions, I umount them and try to to a lsblk => I won't see a device called "mmcblk0" (that's normal because I don't see the card alone but a my kobo), so what I see is a device called sdc (for example).
I've try to do the back and restore on another card... only one partition (the biggest) is restore and my kobo don't want to boot => the 2 partitions of 256 Mo are not here !
An idea ???
Old 07-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #911
trinity1
Enthusiast
trinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
This thread is for direct links to Kobo firmware.
Please gentlemen, don't overload this thread with OT issues. Although this discussion about backup is really interesting, this is not the appropriate location.
Thanks
trinity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #912
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Good Idea Peter to use compression...

Lucas Malor, you wanna mean that if we umount the partitions we will able to do this image ?
I'm not sure, explanation : I plug my kobo to my computer OS (here linux), it mounts partitions, I umount them and try to to a lsblk => I won't see a device called "mmcblk0" (that's normal because I don't see the card alone but a my kobo), so what I see is a device called sdc (for example).
I've try to do the back and restore on another card... only one partition (the biggest) is restore and my kobo don't want to boot => the 2 partitions of 256 Mo are not here !
An idea ???
No, Lucas is suggesting that you change the rc5 script on the device so that it does the image during startup and puts it in the recoveryfs partition. It won't work for a few reasons. One is that the image is being made of the drive that the recoveryfs partition is on. Another is that the total size of the image is larger than the partition. It might work to just image the rootfs partition, but I don't think that is enough to recover the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1 View Post
Please gentlemen, don't overload this thread with OT issues. Although this discussion about backup is really interesting, this is not the appropriate location.
Thanks
I definitely agree. Maybe we need a moderator to move these posts.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #913
akorx
Addict

Ok I understand davidfor... thank for this "informations complement" (I don't know how do say that in english, please tell me !).

Last edited by akorx; 07-04-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #914
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, Lucas is suggesting that you change the rc5 script on the device so that it does the image during startup and puts it in the recoveryfs partition. It won't work for a few reasons [...]
Well, I disagree, but I'll send you a PM
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #915
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Ver 3.5.0 has been released
For Glo/Aura HD:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-3.5.0.zip
For Aura:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-3.5.0.zip

Affiliate:
beta or BestBuyCa

Last edited by arasyi; 07-10-2014 at 08:43 PM.
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote