Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Toxeus
Toxeus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Send epub to Kindle but don't keep the converted file?

Hi everyone!

I'm now proud owner of a Kindle and use Calibre to manage and convert my ebooks, which are mostly in epub format. I noticed, that when I send a book to the kindle, Calibre automatically stores the converted mobi file (I switched from azw3 because the the latest official release of the collection plugin doesn't work yet with azw3) alongside the original epub file.

I would rather have the conversion to happen in a temporary location to keep the collection free of format duplicates in the long run. How can I get Calibre to not save any converted file in my library upon sending to a device?
Toxeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
LuceBianchi
LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
I don't know. I've never minded extra formats (I run calibre as a content server, as well), and always converted my books before sending them. (I'm a nook user myself, so I don't deal with .mobi files much.)

But, until you find a better solution, you can delete the old format (or new, if you want) with "remove selected formats".
LuceBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
I too keep EPUB format for most books, the exception being some PDFs. The MOBI formats are converted on-the-fly from the EPUBs during the Send to device. After reading the books on Kindle I update the metadata in calibre Library View, remove the books from Kindle in calibre Device View, and remove the MOBI formats from calibre Library View, keeping only the EPUB master.

Last edited by unboggling; 10-01-2012 at 05:42 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Toxeus
Toxeus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Okay, I guess I will have to resort to manually managing that as well. I just had hoped there was some setting to do this automatically. Thanks for your input!
Toxeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
There is a tweak to enable/disable keeping the original_epub file.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
There is a tweak to enable/disable keeping the original_epub file.
Helen
I use that too, when tailoring an EPUB for a different device. And then have to replace that reconverted EPUB from original_EPUB when done.

Last edited by unboggling; 10-03-2012 at 08:41 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, kindle, library