Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
If the manual root process (nooter0.2) works for 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 can we assume it'll work for this new update? I planned to re-root manually when the big update came anyway.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Nooter .2 was created when 1.0.1 was released; because Nooter .1 quit working
But it was a very minor change that was needed. There is a chance that Nooter .2 may still work w/ 1.1 w/o any changes at all. But to my knowledge, no one has tried it yet.

Autonooter is definitely broken w/ 1.1.0 though, so if Nooter .2 still works, you would have to jump through the steps to get market working manually (which I think you did last time).
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
Nooter .2 was created when 1.0.1 was released; because Nooter .1 quit working :...
I don't believe this is the case. I rooted the first week of December, which is way before the 1.0.1 update.

I saved the web page which had those root instructions:

Quote:
Steps
Download Pokey9000's "nooter" 0.2 file update 1/Dec/2010: http://www.mediafire.com/?cfddu9wt9d8dunl

Last edited by SCION; 01-27-2011 at 05:00 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #19
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Based on a previous post (I believe it was from Scion), I renamed my etc/security/otacertss.zip file (to etc/security/otacertss.zip.bak). I was under the impression this will prevent an autoupdate.
Is that correct? Is there anything else I should do?
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm disappointed in the 1.1 update. The two things that should have made the NC better for me either don't work or they suck.

(1) Some claim the brightness level can be dimmed lower than before. I suspect they are seeing what they want to see, not the reality. As far as I can see the lowest brightness level for reading ePubs is exactly the same as before--I see no appreciable difference. It is still way too bright. The only time it gets dim enough for my taste is about one second before it goes into sleep mode. If they can have it dim that low just prior to sleep mode they can have it go that low during reading.

(2) The pinch to zoom feature if extremely bad. It makes the web page look like it is having a seizure--the page jumps about and the zoom goes in and out before eventually settling down on a level that I did not select. But then again, the stock browser is so bad I rarely use it anyway. Even the B&N website won't display correctly in the NC browser. How ridiculous is that?

Hopefully the other changes will help you folks out, but none were of any help to me.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #21
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

Some claim the brightness level can be dimmed lower than before. I suspect they are seeing what they want to see, not the reality. As far as I can see the lowest brightness level for reading ePubs is exactly the same as before--I see no appreciable difference. It is still way too bright. The only time it gets dim enough for my taste is about one second before it goes into sleep mode. If they can have it dim that low just prior to sleep mode they can have it go that low during reading.
If you decide to root, check out AdjBrightness or ScreenFilter. I completely agree about the screen brightness and AdjBrightness solves this problem.
It amazes me that B&N doesn't allow the screen to go dimmer.
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #22
Sethman
Enthusiast
Sethman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Has anyone actually let their Nook autoupdate? If so I'm wondering is your Nook is now back to the way it would be if you had never rooted?

BTW if you need to reroot, do you have to install 1.01 update before the new one? Also where is that 1.01 update. I couldn't find it on the B&N site.

Seth

Last edited by Sethman; 01-28-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Sethman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #23
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
I'm disappointed in the 1.1 update. The two things that should have made the NC better for me either don't work or they suck.

(1) Some claim the brightness level can be dimmed lower than before. I suspect they are seeing what they want to see, not the reality. As far as I can see the lowest brightness level for reading ePubs is exactly the same as before--I see no appreciable difference. It is still way too bright. The only time it gets dim enough for my taste is about one second before it goes into sleep mode. If they can have it dim that low just prior to sleep mode they can have it go that low during reading.
Mine is extremely low now. I know because of a couple things (besides noticing how low the brightness was while reading). Before when adjusting the brightness via settings and the brightness button on the B&N reader it was the same. Now the B&N reader brightness goes down much lower than the lowest setting in the settings. Also, when I am reading, right before my NC goes into sleep mode my brightness goes way up, not down. So it flashes really bright compared to how it was, then goes to sleep.

I don't notice too much about the browser. I don't really use it too much so I don't care.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Mine is extremely low now. I know because of a couple things (besides noticing how low the brightness was while reading). Before when adjusting the brightness via settings and the brightness button on the B&N reader it was the same. Now the B&N reader brightness goes down much lower than the lowest setting in the settings. Also, when I am reading, right before my NC goes into sleep mode my brightness goes way up, not down. So it flashes really bright compared to how it was, then goes to sleep.

I don't notice too much about the browser. I don't really use it too much so I don't care.
That is kind of weird as my 1.1 never-rooted NC appears to be doing the exact opposite as far as brightness in the ePub reader. I am using the lowest (dimmest) backlight setting and it is as bright as pre-1.1. If I let it sit to go to sleep, the screen momentarily dims to about half of the lowest brightness setting.

EDIT: My mistake, I forgot about the third way to set reader brightness by tapping the page and bringing up a menu across the bottom. If I use that menu then it does indeed dim much more than before. Cool! But that is kluge. The normal brightness sliderbar should be the way to change brightness rather than adding a third brightness control menu item.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-28-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay 1.1 does indeed allow for a much dimmer screen but only if you use the Reading Tools-->Brightness menu.

If you use the Settings-->Screen menu or the Quick Settings-->Brightness menu there is no change from pre-1.1 lowest setting.

What a kluge system of menus! The programmers should have used one menu to control brightness rather than three. I can understand adding a shortcut to the brightness control so you don't have to exit a book to change brightness, but using three separate menus each of which displays a unique popup window is a major user interface fiasco. Until @Care pointed out that the Reading Tools-->Brightness menu actually allows for a dimmer setting, I assumed all three menus allowed the same exact settings.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-28-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Okay 1.1 does indeed allow for a much dimmer screen but only if you use the Reading Tools-->Brightness menu.
If you use the Settings-->Screen menu or the Quick Settings-->Brightness menu there is no change from pre-1.1 lowest setting.
What a kluge system of menus! The programmers should have used one menu to control brightness rather than three. I can understand adding a shortcut to the brightness control so you don't have to exit a book to change brightness, but using three separate menus each of which displays a unique popup window is a major user interface fiasco. Until @Care pointed out that the Reading Tools-->Brightness menu actually allows for a dimmer setting, I assumed all three menus allowed the same exact settings.
Thanks for sorting out the differences! Glad that they listened to people to allow a lower setting but the user interface is indeed poorly implemented!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #27
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:

I understand what you mean. I guess I am weird cause I prefer it that way. I like my screen to stay the same while browsing and whatnot, and have it set different for reading. Otherwise I would have to keep going back into the main settings and that would drive me nuts.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I understand what you mean. I guess I am weird cause I prefer it that way. I like my screen to stay the same while browsing and whatnot, and have it set different for reading. Otherwise I would have to keep going back into the main settings and that would drive me nuts.
I can understand that. One of the alternate readers--Aldiko or perhaps FBReader--allows you to easily change brightness within the reader by moving a finger up/down on the page. I really like that implementation. The problem with the NC reader GUI is that the Quick Settings icon is clearly viewable in the bottom-right of the reader screen whereas the Reading Tools-->Brightness menu is only viewable after a tap in the page. For me it is an "out of sight, out of mind" issue. And it is the out of sight menu that allows us to dim the brightness beyond the system settings, ergo the confusion.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-28-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Tags
1.1.0, update