Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #31
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
I just purchased the waterfield slip case today. I'll be sure to post a short review here next week when I get it.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #32
andie1977
andie1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
Hi guys,
this is my first post, I just discovered this forum (and bought a Kindle 3).
I was browsing for cases as well, and in another forum I found this case sold through amazon.co.uk.
It looks pretty awesome, doesn't it?
andie1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #33
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
I just purchased the waterfield slip case today. I'll be sure to post a short review here next week when I get it.
Looking forward to your review! I hope the case meets your expectations.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #34
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

As promised, here is my review of the Waterfield Designs slip case. I just received it today, and shipping was VERY FAST! He obviously sent it the day I placed the order.
The case is much more flexible than I thought it would be. Actually, if I had known it was so flexible, I probably wouldn't have bought it. But, I think it is a very nice case, and I will use it because I like it. The website description made it sound like there is a "firm" plastic piece in the case, but this is inaccurate. The case is soft like a cloth. The standard Amazon case is actually more firm than this slip case. But, I think that this slip case might offer more drop protection than the standard Amazon case, simply because the slip case is so well-padded. It's like having a big pillow all around the kindle. In terms of breaking the screen by accidentally squeezing it, even though the slip case is softer than the Amazon case, I think that they would offer the same amount of protection, which is minimal. If you press on the screen through the Amazon case, the pressure still gets directly transferred to the screen, and the same would happen with this slip case.
It is very easy to insert and remove the kindle from this case, and this is one of the main things I was looking for. I don't like to read with a case on, and I only use the case for protection while traveling, and for that reason I prefer this slip case over the Amazon case. Even though it's fairly easy to insert and remove the kindle from the Amazon case, I still find it annoying to have to mess with the side tabs, and this is one reason why it is easier to use the slip case when using it just for traveling. Also I recommend the slip case for someone like me who has to insert and remove the kindle from the case frequently.
Even though the slip case has a lot of cushioning, it is not bulky at all. It has the same length and width dimensions as the Amazon case, but it is a little thicker in depth.
If anyone has any questions about this case, I'd be happy to answer.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #35
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
The case is much more flexible than I thought it would be.
I kind of thought that was going to happen. It looked fairly soft to me.

Here is a another hard case made for K2. Since K3 is smaller, it would fit but I don't know how much rattling around it would do since I don't know the size difference off hand.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Edge-Guardia...ref=pd_sim_e_2

The clear case on eBay size:

The outside dimensions are:
Width: 5 7/8 Inches
Height: 8 3/8 Inches
Depth: 3/4 Inches

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 11-29-2010 at 05:22 PM.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #36
judith009
Groupie

Let me just add that their website description for the sfbags.com slip case says that it has "impact-resistant plastic", which I mistakenly associated with firmness. In other words, their description was not wrong, my impression was incorrect. In reality, their cushioning is very impact-resistant, and more so I would say than the standard Amazon cases.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #37
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

I, too, thought the case had some sort of plastic insert for the impact resistance; I think their description can be a bit misleading:
Quote:
Light internal padding with screen-protecting, impact-resistant plastic keeps your gadget safe and sound.
On the other hand, their "Kindle Ultimate Sleeve Case" (http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindl...ses-kindle.php) does have a plastic insert, according to their description, but it isn't quite the form factor you were looking for -
and it is more expensive as well.

Anyway, Judith, thank you for your review and I am glad to hear that, for the most part, you are pleased with your new case.

Holly
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #38
judith009
Groupie

Hmph, this is interesting. I just found out today that the Waterfield slip bag that I got actually does have a plastic insert inside it! It's only on one side, and it's so thin and flexible that you almost can't tell it's there. I squeezed the bag by the sides today, and that's when I found that it has the insert. I wonder why they didn't just add a thick rigid one... Also, it's only on one of the sides. It's obvious, though, that that is the screen side, because the other side had a tag on it. If the above bag that Holly listed has the same insert, it would be awfully thin to offer good protection.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:07 AM   #39
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
You should have gone with the EVA case that I posted, much cheaper also.
I have one for my netbook and you can almost sit on it without it flexing.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 AM   #40
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
My Kindle fell today,from mid-waist hight, in an Oberoncover. Nothing the matter with it.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #41
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Hmph, this is interesting. I just found out today that the Waterfield slip bag that I got actually does have a plastic insert inside it! It's only on one side, and it's so thin and flexible that you almost can't tell it's there. I squeezed the bag by the sides today, and that's when I found that it has the insert. I wonder why they didn't just add a thick rigid one... Also, it's only on one of the sides. It's obvious, though, that that is the screen side, because the other side had a tag on it. If the above bag that Holly listed has the same insert, it would be awfully thin to offer good protection.
As I said previously, I was surprised that you wanted a slip case such as the Octovo case you said you liked or like the Waterfield case you ended up getting; neither of these choices match with your thread title where you said you were looking for "a hard (not flexible) protective case for K3." Unless it is made of good steel or thick aluminum, a slip case is just not going to be as protective as the Amazon case or any of the hard cases people suggested for you in this thread. I hope you are not too disappointed with your choice.

I wonder if you could find someone to custom make what you are looking for, since none of the products that are on the market right now seem to quite fit your needs? That might be expensive, but you might check in your local area to see.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
My Kindle fell today,from mid-waist hight, in an Oberoncover. Nothing the matter with it.
Earlier this week I managed to hook my Kindle somehow as I was turning away from my kitchen counter and my Kindle fell to the floor; the counters are 3 foot high and the kitchen flooring is hardwood. I was horrified, but the Kindle survived with no apparent damage and it still works fine. My Kindle, too, is encased in an Oberon cover. I hope to never test the cover's protective qualities again, but I am glad they were sufficient this time!

Holly
Old 12-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #42
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Earlier this week I managed to hook my Kindle somehow as I was turning away from my kitchen counter and my Kindle fell to the floor; the counters are 3 foot high and the kitchen flooring is hardwood. I was horrified, but the Kindle survived with no apparent damage and it still works fine. My Kindle, too, is encased in an Oberon cover. I hope to never test the cover's protective qualities again, but I am glad they were sufficient this time!

Holly
Good for you and the Kindle that nothing is broken.
I think it's good to have a sturdy cover, wether it is Oberon or something else. I always take good care of my Kindle and still managed to let it slip out of my fingers.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #43
judith009
Groupie

To tell you the truth, I really didn't like that EVA case, because it looked big and bulky to me. I'm sure it would've done it's job the best, though, to protect the Kindle.
It's true that I did not accomplish my initial goal of finding a hard, non-flexible case, which also didn't attach to the Kindle via the side clips, hence making it easier for quick insertion and removal of the device. But I am very happy with this new slip case that I have, because it is light, cushiony, and it is very easy to insert and remove the Kindle. I believe it's also slightly more protective than the Amazon case which I also have. I accidentally dropped the K3 while it was in the closed Amazon case once, and the side-tabs got a little bent, so now it's more difficult to insert and remove the Kindle because the tabs don't line up. If I drop the Kindle while in this slip-case, I think it would be more protected on account of the extra cushioning.

I discovered today that it would probably be very easy to cut a slit on the bottom of the WD slip case, pull out the thin plastic insert, and replace it with a very rigid piece of plastic. I might do this one day, if I find an extra piece of plexiglass or the like laying around. Then it would be the perfect case for me. I believe with a rigid piece of plastic covering the front, it would be very difficult to damage the screen, since any pressure applied to the front of the case would be distributed evenly across the entire face of the kindle. If I ever do this customization, I will tell you guys how it went. If it works out well, I'd probably call the guys at Waterfield Designs and see if they can make a design like that.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #44
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
It's true that I did not accomplish my initial goal of finding a hard, non-flexible case, which also didn't attach to the Kindle via the side clips, hence making it easier for quick insertion and removal of the device. But I am very happy with this new slip case that I have, because it is light, cushiony, and it is very easy to insert and remove the Kindle. I believe it's also slightly more protective than the Amazon case which I also have.
That's all that matters, then! And if you modify the case by inserting a thicker piece of plastic then you will have a very nice case indeed.

Holly
Old 12-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #45
Shazza
Addict
Shazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G & Wifi iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by andie1977 View Post
Hi guys,
this is my first post, I just discovered this forum (and bought a Kindle 3).
I was browsing for cases as well, and in another forum I found this case sold through amazon.co.uk.
It looks pretty awesome, doesn't it?
Andy, if you purchase the case it would be great to have your opinion on it. It looks like it is available here, but for us in NA I wonder about the shipping times, etc.

Glad you found something you like Judith, hope it works out well for you. Thanks for this thread, it is very valuable for a new Kindle owner like me!
Shazza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, hard