Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
sherrymac
sherrymac began at the beginning.

Device: something that will work in Canada!
E-Reader that will work in Canada?

I had my heart set on a Kindle, only to be so disappointed that can't order them into Canada. They wont' work here. Can hardly believe it! Available all over the world but not in Canada! The wireless won't work here.
Does anyone know of an e-reader that will work here that offers affordable books? I liked that the books on the Kindle are only $10.
Any advice would be appreciated.
sherrymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The Kindle works just *FINE* in Canada. What doesn't work is the wireless access for purchasing and downloading books. But the wireless is just an alternative to ordering/downloading through your computer and transferring to the Kindle via USB cable. And there is the complexity of setting up an account with the US Amazon.com company, complete with a US shipping address and a credit card associated with a US address. But once you get past that, the Kindle itself works just fine in Canada.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Hello sherrymac. I've moved your thread to a more appropriate part of the forum, where it is more likely to attract responses.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have a Sony and it works great. You can even buy it retail. I have not yet shopped at Shortcovers (owned by Indigo) because I have a ton to read right now and am not in the mood to figure out a new store, but they have good prices. I buy a lot at Fictionwise for 100% rebate and just remove the 'protection.' I have also gotten many free books here, and about two dozen free ones from the Sony store. And the Toronto Public Library has about 150 epub ebooks you can borrow and more in PDF...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Nerts
Nerts began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have heard that Indigo is looking to launch an e-book reader of its own. Perhaps they might even do this through Shortcovers. Has anyone here heard the same or have a sense of if/when this might happen?

Personally, I've been rather taken by the new nook from B & N. I'm inclined to look for one of these in the states and use it here, but I'd obviously like to buy something that is designed to work here in Canada. I don't really relish the prospect of having to screw around with US addresses and etc.

Given what's happened with the Palm Pre, iPhone, and Kindle 2 International, it seems that we Canucks are doomed to get access these devices well after the rest of the world.
Nerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
GizmoPlanet
GizmoPlanet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I could be wrong here, but it seems to me Amazon's unwillingness to sell its Kindle readers here in Canada might have something to do with Canada's less stringent copyright laws and may even have something to do with being unable to secure favourable deals with Canadian book publishers.

That's the only explanation I could come up with. Or at least the only one that made sense to me, since Amazon is selling the Kindle everywhere *but* Canada.
GizmoPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
sherrymac
sherrymac began at the beginning.

Device: something that will work in Canada!
It seems that it's the 3 major wireless providers here in Canada and the CRTC that is making a problem with Amazon. They don't want to provide wireless access for an affordable price.
It's like our cell phone packages that are one of the most exorbitant in the world.
sherrymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
I'm still waiting for a bigger availability of e-readers in Canada. Ignoring ordering online for the most part, in store stock seems to be limited to Sony readers at the moment. While I have nothing against Sony readers, I just want to be able to choose from more, seeing how many others are there are and all.

The problem with wireless providers in Canada doesn't really concern me. I get the idealism of being able to have connection anywhere and download books wherever, but I'm fine with simple wireless connections over things like 3G networks.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
TownGirl
TownGirl doesn't litterTownGirl doesn't litter

Device: None
Hi:

Came here to read opinions on what was a good e-reader for Canada might be.

I wanted a Kindle until I found that Amazon.CA doesn't have e-books so I will probably get a Kobo which isn't too bad as it doesn't have the back lighting (which emits blue light & interferes with the sleep process). And, you can check out book from your local library; can't do that with a Kindle.

With regard to Kindle not coming to Canada, yet (although you can purchase a U.S. Kindle), they will come, but they haven't yet been able to hash out a deal they are happy with, with a provider (i.e. Bell etc.).

Not sure I understand all the file formats so I hope it's not a mistake to get a Kobo. Sony would be another option (no back lighting), but their only pink one doesn't have wifi lol. So, it's out.

If I had the money, I'd get a Blackberry Playbook! That would be a nice toy/reader to have
TownGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome TownGirl!

Argos or Ticats?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #11
TownGirl
TownGirl doesn't litterTownGirl doesn't litter

Device: None
Thanks &... nobody blows like the arrgooooo's
lolol
TownGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymac View Post
I had my heart set on a Kindle, only to be so disappointed that can't order them into Canada. They wont' work here. Can hardly believe it! Available all over the world but not in Canada! The wireless won't work here.
Does anyone know of an e-reader that will work here that offers affordable books? I liked that the books on the Kindle are only $10.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I can assure you that amazon does sell kindles in Canada and they do in fact work- 3G that is. I don't know where you are in Canada but most of the more populated centers are covered.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGirl View Post
I wanted a Kindle until I found that Amazon.CA doesn't have e-books
You buy books from amazon.com not the .ca site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGirl View Post
With regard to Kindle not coming to Canada, yet (although you can purchase a U.S. Kindle), they will come, but they haven't yet been able to hash out a deal they are happy with, with a provider (i.e. Bell etc.).
What you purchase is an international kindle.
Like I said above, 3G works fine in Canada, whether on Bell or Rogers.
This thread is full of bad information.

EDIT: ah, I see this was an old thread brought back to life. Much has changed since 2009!

Last edited by bZkindle; 04-06-2011 at 07:32 AM.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
And this is when I wish older threads would go away.

Amazon does sell Kindles in Canada, as several folks have pointed out, and they do sell books to Canadians. There are some geographic restrictions but those are easily overcome. Use a US address and gift cards and you are good to go.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #15
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
I don't...

I don't even think you need a U.S. address. I have purchased DTBs from Amazon.com for years with no U.S. address. I even recall they were all shipped out of a warehouse in Ontario, anyway.
I also have a fair number of E-books (ahem, um, Kindlebooks) on my Kindle for Mac with no issues at all. Once again, Amazon.com, no U.S. addy.

If, as a Canadian, you want a Kindle, go get one. No problem.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote