Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 12-09-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Custom podcasts from RSS text feeds

Have you ever wanted to listen to your RSS text feeds instead of having to read them? Here's a solution that you might be interested in.

From Jon Aquino's Mental Garden, "Audiolicious is a Windows program that lets you turn any RSS feed into a podcast. It uses text-to-speech to convert the feed's webpages into MP3 files."

He goes on to describe the procedure to convert (on your Windows desktop) from RSS feeds to your very own mp3 podcasts from computer generated speech.

Apparently, after pondering the less than spectacular podcast content and reflecting on the great text content, it didn't take too much to spur the idea. It turns out that Audiolicious was the result of the simple question "What if I used text-to-speech to convert these textual webpages to podcasts that I could listen to during my daily commute?"

Personally, I'm not sure if I could endure the computer voices void of proper emphasis and inflection, but it is an intriguing idea. Especially for mobile devices.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
Personally, I'm not sure if I could endure the computer voices void of proper emphasis and inflection, but it is an intriguing ideas.
Just recently I downloaded an audiobook on Kant's moral philosophy and to find out that it was generated by some synthesized voice. I couldn't bear it. Although pronunciation seemed very good, emphasis was so out of place most of the time that it was very stressy to listen to it.
Advert
Old 12-09-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Hi Bob - glad to hear that you found the idea intriguing. Too bad AT&T's Naturally Speaking voices aren't free -- they sound very realistic.