Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
tagtag
tagtag began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi (B&W)
Nook Glow or Kindle Paperwhite

That's about it... I have an original Nook Wifi that is getting finicky.

Kindle Pros:
  • I prefer the white screen by a lot
  • I have Prime
  • Ecosystem and Whispersync (although I'd have to switch to Instapaper from Pocket, I guess)

Nook Pros:
  • All other things equal I would prefer less Amazon
  • Hardware buttons are nice
  • I have a $50 B&N gift card

So, can you help me decide on this one? Is the Kindle PW screen worth that much more? Not having read with either for weeks it's hard to determine how much that is worth or how annoying a blue tint would be to read for hours.
tagtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
While I prefer epub devices myself, I believe that the Kindle has a higher resolution screen, and I think you would be getting free books to borrow through Amazon Prime (I could be wrong here, though), so those would be very strong pluses in the Kindle's favour.

I don't know whether or not you've had a look at the Kobo Glo, it can read epubs and also has a high res lit up screen similar to the Kindle's.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
lettuceman44
lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm in the same situation, I don't know what I want.

Also nook has sd card support and can be rooted.
lettuceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are bookstores where you can buy Mobi for Kindle that are not Amazon. As the Agency Model goes away, at least for a few years, independent bookstores might be able to sell mainstream books again. They did before Agency Pricing but stopped when Agency Pricing was introduced.

If you are already a Prime member, I am curious as to why you would want to limit your Amazon purchases? The reality is that buying books from Barnes and Noble, Kobo, or Sony is not that far off from buying books from Amazon. They are all large companies looking to maximize profit. The difference that I can see is that Amazon is better positioned for staying in the ebook game then Sony and Barnes and Nobles. Kobo seems to be set for long term profitability.

If you are willing to remove DRM, it doesn't matter what device you have, you can side load converted books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
I have never owned a Kindle or a Nook ( I have had a Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch and am now a very happy Kobo Glo owner), but since your choice is between the Nook and the PW, based on reviews, I would go for the PW, since the Nook is old technology that has been surpassed by both the Kobo Glo and Kindle's PW.

Last edited by Breid; 11-12-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typo :-(
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
All things being equal, which would YOU prefer. After all, it will be you doing the reading and purchasing the books.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
tagtag
tagtag began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi (B&W)
Thanks for tips... I'm looking to see what the sales bring up in the holiday season.
tagtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
lettuceman44
lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The sales are making me get a normal Nook.
$50 for a nook, na I don't need a light.
lettuceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote