Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deva1984 View Post
How could DRMs be removed?
Search the internet for Apprentice Alf's Blog
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
deva1984
deva1984 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Search the internet for Apprentice Alf's Blog
Thank you, now I can deDRM all my kindle books. ^_^

But even without DRM, azw3 files still cannot be sent to @kindle.com as personal documents? I thought amazon said azw3 files were supported

Last edited by deva1984; 07-22-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: update
deva1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
anydaangel
anydaangel began at the beginning.

Red face AZW3 files...

So with a fresh re-install of Calibre, I have come to the conclusion that while some azw3 files open just fine with all of the patches and plugins; there are some stubborn files that refuse to give up their drm.

I'd like to be able to enjoy my books all through Calibre, so they're all neatly on the same "bookshelf", but these few are just getting under my skin.

Is there some new form of encoding or are these files simply evil?

I thought it had to do with the release date of the newer files - but some azw3 files that were released two weeks ago work fine, while the ones released back in Nov 2011 - Jan 2012 refuse to open.

Was there some experimental encoding going on during this time window, or am I simply doing something improperly?
anydaangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
anydaangel
anydaangel began at the beginning.

Wink News Flash!

****NEW NOTE: after two days of fighting with my computer, it finally decided to allow me access to the DRM files in Calibre. Whew! I was about to start a petition for Amazon to stop being so stingy with the files their CUSTOMERS PAID FOR. No need. Just run a good uninstaller that takes all of Calibre away and reinstall everything - complete with patches and restarting your machine. "Throw 'em in the wash, it'll be grand."
anydaangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #20
babarous
Resident Lurker
babarous began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Quote:
Thank you, now I can deDRM all my kindle books. ^_^

But even without DRM, azw3 files still cannot be sent to @kindle.com as personal documents? I thought amazon said azw3 files were supported
If you can't email them as azw3, then why not just use calibre to convert them to plain old .mobi, then email it to your kindle?
babarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarous View Post
If you can't email them as azw3, then why not just use calibre to convert them to plain old .mobi, then email it to your kindle?
Not a good idea since deva1984 has a Kindle Touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Are you sure that it's not simply the ".azw3" extension that Amazon doesn't like? Try renaming the file to have a ".prc" or ".mobi" extension, and see if that helps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #23
deva1984
deva1984 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure that it's not simply the ".azw3" extension that Amazon doesn't like? Try renaming the file to have a ".prc" or ".mobi" extension, and see if that helps.
You know what? I had actually tried this dirty way before. And amazon was proven to be more clever than that.

I use the same method babarous have suggested currently. Not so bad, just one more step indeed.
deva1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #24
GOGGS75
Enthusiast
GOGGS75 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad mini + Kindle Touch
Calibre even see AZW3 file available for selection

Hi

I have a kinlde touch and have tried to create a AZW3 file instead of a MOBI to get rid of some formatting problems with an ebook I created.

Calibre converts to AZW3 successfully I think but does not list it as a format that can be sent to the device? I have tried changing the extension of the file selected to AZW but this makes no difference.

Has anyone else had this problem with Calibre?

Cheers
GOGGS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOGGS75 View Post
Hi

I have a kinlde touch and have tried to create a AZW3 file instead of a MOBI to get rid of some formatting problems with an ebook I created.

Calibre converts to AZW3 successfully I think but does not list it as a format that can be sent to the device? I have tried changing the extension of the file selected to AZW but this makes no difference.

Has anyone else had this problem with Calibre?

Cheers
You need to check the "AZW3" box in Calibre's Kindle driver. By default it's not enabled.

To do this, select "Preferences", then navigate to "Plug-ins", "Device interface plug-ins", select the "Kindle 2/3/4/Touch" item, and click the "Customise plug-in" button. You'll see a list of formats that can be sent to the Kindle; check "AZW3", then click "OK" to save the changes.

You may need to restart Calibre for the change to take effect, but you should then find that you can send AZW3 files to your Kindle.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by HarryT; 08-10-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You know, I'm always happy to help, but wouldn't it be nice if people were to say "thank you" just occasionally?
Old 08-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I try to remember that, but once in a moon I might forget, or be in a hurry. But yes, I agree, if people don't appreciate your help they go on the block messages from this user.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #28
cindyw9
cindyw9 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Have you taken any steps to remove DRM on these files in case the Calibre message is correct? If a book DOES ahve DRM then you need to get it removed before Calibre can do anything other than file it for you.
I removed calibre and kindle for the pc from my system (completely) and then reloaded them both along with the calibre plug-ins and both me and my calibre are very happy now. It works fine with the azw3 files now.

I found when I just work with calibre itself installing and uninstalling just didnt work, but when I did the kindle for pc uninstall and reinstall 'something' clicked!

Just thought I'd pass this along.
cindyw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #29
GOGGS75
Enthusiast
GOGGS75 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad mini + Kindle Touch
Harry T

I have now read your thread and tried what you suggested. AZW3 is now available on my Kindle touch.

Thanks for your help.
GOGGS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #30
cindyw9
cindyw9 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I found removing calibre and the kindle for pc and then and then reloading calibre - updating the plugs and then reloading the kindle for pc made the azw3 files acceptable.

They now work fine for me in calibre.
cindyw9 is offline   Reply With Quote