Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
melitabel
Enthusiast
melitabel began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
How do I get out of safe mode?

This is my EE. I don't know how I got into it, but I can't do anything except proceed in straight paths, forward only. I can't go back a screen, or go back to the menu. I shut down and restarted, same thing, then shut down while we ate dinner, started again, still in safe mode. When I go into settings or about Edge to see if I can find a way to change it and go down a blind path, I have to shut the Edge down before I can restart it and try down a different path. I have removed the battery and restarted.

This happened when I installed the penultimate version of Nook, if that helps.

I am going to leave it off overnight now, hoping someone can enlighten me before morning.

Thanking everyone in advance, Melitabel.
melitabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Have you tried the old standby for problems - remove the battery for a short time? (edit: sorry, missed that in your post.)

If that doesn't work then try and uninstall the last app you installed.

Sorry I can't help more than that as I've never seen what you describe on my EE.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Any luck, Melitabel?

I have no suggestions beyond what you've already tried and what Ivan says, but I sure hope you get it back to normal!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
For starters I would try uninstalling Nook and see what happens. Fortunately it doesn't sound like a hardware issue so you may to do a fresh load of Dingo or Ermine (whichever OS you are using). Of course if you can move forward you will want to do a Local Backup of your Library to a USB drive. Also, if you have ES File Explorer you may want to copy and personal folders to a USB drive. Here are the links in case you can't get this resolved. Remember, this should be your last resort.

Ermine: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=265

Dingo: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=263
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
melitabel
Enthusiast

Left it off for several days, and it's still in safe mode. I don't even see Nook among downloaded apps. I am trying to look at all apps to see if it's there, but unfortuately when I try to swipe I have opened the calendar instead (heavy touch) and since I can't go back I have had to shut down twice already. I will eave it off while I go to lunch, and then back up my library and reload ermine. Sigh. I searched the Knowledge Base at Entourage Edge, but there is nothing there on safe mode either. Thanks for the good wishes.
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
melitabel
Enthusiast

This is Android Safe Mode, not Edge specific. What I have do to is remove the offending application. I have removed all the downloaded applications that were showing, and Nook wasn't among them - I don't think it finished downloading. I only had 4. It's still in safe mode, and I've shut it off a couple time in the meantime. I am trying to see if Nook turns up in the "all applications" list, but every time I try to swipe to move down in the list, it just opens the application that happens to be wherever I put my finger, and then I have to shut down, since I can't go back. I try really light touches but seem unable to touch it lightly enough. I may have to back up my reading material and journals and do an ermine re-install. There are some questions from people out there (with other devices) who have gotten stuck in safe mode, but they are always told to remove the app that caused the problem and they'll be fine. Only I can't find the app that caused the problem . . .
Old 08-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by melitabel View Post
This is Android Safe Mode, not Edge specific. What I have do to is remove the offending application. I have removed all the downloaded applications that were showing, and Nook wasn't among them - I don't think it finished downloading. I only had 4. It's still in safe mode, and I've shut it off a couple time in the meantime. I am trying to see if Nook turns up in the "all applications" list, but every time I try to swipe to move down in the list, it just opens the application that happens to be wherever I put my finger, and then I have to shut down, since I can't go back. I try really light touches but seem unable to touch it lightly enough. I may have to back up my reading material and journals and do an ermine re-install. There are some questions from people out there (with other devices) who have gotten stuck in safe mode, but they are always told to remove the app that caused the problem and they'll be fine. Only I can't find the app that caused the problem . . .
Use the trackball to move through the application list rather than swiping to scroll, in fact I find it much better than swiping in most apps - just remember if you press it that is the same as tapping the screen.

If you do have to start over remember to backup everything either to a USB stick or your PC. Then you will have to use the golden update first because that is the only way to clear the system, then update with Ermine.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
melitabel
Enthusiast

I had forgotten about the trackball, but I have no idea how to make it move through the app list. Unfortunately I have managed to press it, but otherwise I can't make it move at all. I have done the back up, supposedly - I got a message that it succeeded. Putting the USB drive in my laptop, I just see one .esi file, 17KB in lost.dir. Could that possibly be right? I don't care about the pdfs I have, but I don't want to lose the journals.

I wouldn't mike calling SupporTrix. I have spent far, far too much of my time on this. If I ever get this working, it can do things for me that I would like to be able to do, but I am not a hobbyist - I want a device that works; i don't want to spend time trying to fix it and make it work.