Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
brihyn
brihyn began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic GTab
Sharing EPubs - Metadata question

I'm guessing this has been discussed before, and I found a few close answers in my search, but nothing concrete.

When my wife imports in books on her pc, she's updating the metadata with all of the common tags that pull down automatically (artist/title/cover/etc).
She then copies all of the newly updated epubs to shared directory, and I then import those into my copy of Calibre.

Obviously the issue we're running into is, none of the newly updated tags show up for me.

How can we get the metadata to be written into the epub files before she copies them out to the shared location for me? Is this possible?
brihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
if she uses "save to disc" to save the epubs to the shared directory the tags should be updated in the epub.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
brihyn

Thanks. That was the one thought I had today.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brihyn View Post
She then copies all of the newly updated epubs to shared directory, and I then import those into my copy of Calibre.
Copies them from where? From the Calibre library folder, I'm guessing? You have to remember that when you edit the metadata of a book in Calibre, you're editing it in Calibre's internal database, not in the book. It only gets "attached" to the book when you export it from Calibre, either with "Save to Disk", or "Send to Device".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
brihyn

thanks, Harry. She was copying the physical file. The answer Ron gave is what I was kinda leaning towards as I sat here at work thinking about the problem...will give that a try tonight, but I'm guessing that's my solution. Seems like it would even be easier than looking through the physical files and folder structures to find what she wants me to have.
Advert