Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Suggestion on karma

Please remove the karma button from the politics and religion forum since it doesn't really add to the discussion of ebooks its really the wrong place for karma.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I agree.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Please remove the karma button from the politics and religion forum since it doesn't really add to the discussion of ebooks its really the wrong place for karma.
I would go further and suggest removing karma from all of MR altogether. I find it to be a big joke.

Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
I disagree. If it's relevant on the MR site at all, it's relevant in all sections.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Pointless. If it was taken away and you wanted to give someone karma for something they said in the politics and religion area, all you'd have to do is find another post by that person in a different area and give the karma through that one.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Pointless. If it was taken away and you wanted to give someone karma for something they said in the politics and religion area, all you'd have to do is find another post by that person in a different area and give the karma through that one.

Exactly what I was thinking.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I never realized people made such a big deal about Karma.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I never realized people made such a big deal about Karma.
Are you kidding? There are people that set around giving each other Karma in the lounge just to pump it up. To me that degrades the whole system of showing a thank you for someone who helps you but what do I know .

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I think if we're going to have Karma be a source of contention and drama, let's have it be a more interesting source of contention and drama.

Why not make it so that everyone clicking on the Karma button can see exactly how much Karma that particular post got, from whom, and any comments they made?

Since its original purpose seems to have been subverted, I'm sure it would be much more entertaining that way.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I think if we're going to have Karma be a source of contention and drama, let's have it be a more interesting source of contention and drama.

Why not make it so that everyone clicking on the Karma button can see exactly how much Karma that particular post got, from whom, and any comments they made?

Seconded!!!

Quote:
Since its original purpose seems to have been subverted, I'm sure it would be much more entertaining that way.
Just out of curiosity, what was its original purpose? - the 'thank you' that DaleDe mentioned or something else? I estimate my use of the function since I joined to be about 1/2 thank yous (personal), 1/4 kudos (general) and 1/4 shameless side-picking in the R/P forum . I don't believe I've given k to the same person more than 3 times (ever).
Old 12-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #11
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
Seconded!!!

Just out of curiosity, what was its original purpose? - the 'thank you' that DaleDe mentioned or something else? I estimate my use of the function since I joined to be about 1/2 thank yous (personal), 1/4 kudos (general) and 1/4 shameless side-picking in the R/P forum . I don't believe I've given k to the same person more than 3 times (ever).
only 1/4 shameless side picking? You're tame. I've watched the karma explode there including my own doubling.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
No way, if only because the next thing people would want would be a way to filter forums so that only the good posts showed. Or there would be fights over who could create the highest karmic post.

dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
Just out of curiosity, what was its original purpose? - the 'thank you' that DaleDe mentioned or something else?
Probably the thanks as mentioned, either as a "thank you for helping me solve this problem" or "thank you for contributing this nice resource to the site" kind of thing.

I know that my personal Karma seems to break down into 75% having posted free book notices, 15% having posted some overly long wall o'text "answer" which apparently turned out to be not entirely useless to the recipient, 5% having linked some informative external site, and 5% having made a remark the giver found funny/seemingly random uncommented reasons I can't even begin to fathom.

Which reminds me, I need to go give Karma to someone in the Sony forum who went above and beyond to help a guy get his stuff back after Sony CS deleted his entire Reader Library install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Or there would be fights over who could create the highest karmic post.
That was kind of the idea, yes*.

It would possibly give an added bonus to reading certain posts if you could also read what people were specifically moved to comment that they thought about the post/poster itself (as opposed to just regular replies).

Of course, that might make people shy or inhibited about commenting when they give Karma, so maybe there would be a spate of "No comment" mystery Karma that people would then wonder why they received, and how to go about recreating the conditions that awarded it if they were ambitious that way.

Either way:

* We have poor broadcast TV reception in my area. I have to make my own entertainment.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
only 1/4 shameless side picking? You're tame. I've watched the karma explode there including my own doubling.
Oh, I agree there as far as my own k is concerned. I was just talking about the k that I gave out.

My own seed k appears to have been collected during the infamous DRM wars when my arm had to be replaced by a robotic one . Arguments are good for the soul - its not good to keep things repressed . Karma helps provide catharsis to a nice argument (or nurse your wounds with the sweet balm of k ) - hence my position against its abolition. It's a harmless little self-indulgence. For a more nuanced and logical argument, I leave you with the sage words of one of the foremost philosophers of our time -

Old 12-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I find the more outrageous I am, the more karma I get
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote