Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Nook Consensus: Slow

Another review, another speed remark:

Quote:
Nook Chases Kindle At Snail's Pace
Barnes & Noble's electronic book reader bears a striking resemblance to Amazon's Kindle, adding some useful features; but it falls achingly short in the critical area of speed

Commentary by Rich Jaroslovsky

(Bloomberg) — The Nook is finally here. It turns out to be much less Kindle-killer than Kindle-clone, and a slow one at that.
Everyone who comments on the speed of the device says it is slow. I've not yet seen one review contradict this. Either they don't comment on it, or if they do they say that it is slow.

Quote:
But the Nook falls short in one critical area: speed. In just about every important function—opening a book, turning pages, and especially starting up—it lags behind its competitor.
Quote:
Before Barnes & Noble spends much time on the Nook's future, though, it needs to deal with the present. Early adopters can only hope it moves more quickly than the Nook currently does.

http://www.businessweek.com/print/te...127_591187.htm

Last edited by Ocean; 12-07-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Another consensus seems to be that this is just a Kindle version 2.5 or 3.0.

It's a evolutionary refresh of Amazons device, not a revolutionary one.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Noone seems to notice at least one of the most common consistency issues with these reviews?

Firmware.

As far as I know, the nook, as well as many other devices with constant update sessions, will continue to be slow until the initial shipping/release date arrives... And a firmware update is already in the balance.

I can feel it breathing down my neck.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
CBS Review also: SLOW

I just saw a review on CBS and they also noted that the BN Nook was VERY SLOW compared to Amazon Kindle and Sony.

Thus, I stay with my Sony PRS 505 for occasional reading and Sony eReader for PC for most of my reading.

I downloaded Amazon Kindle for PC and it is very PRIMITIVE compared to the Sony software. One more reason to stay with Sony.

My ophthamalogist, who has an Amazon Kindle, said its contrast is so poor that he cannot read it.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just saw a review on CBS and they also noted that the BN Nook was VERY SLOW compared to Amazon Kindle and Sony.

Thus, I stay with my Sony PRS 505 for occasional reading and Sony eReader for PC for most of my reading.

I downloaded Amazon Kindle for PC and it is very PRIMITIVE compared to the Sony software. One more reason to stay with Sony.

My ophthamalogist, who has an Amazon Kindle, said its contrast is so poor that he cannot read it.
your opthamalogist needs a new eye doctor
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
your opthamalogist needs a new eye doctor
This is by far not the first complaint I have heard about the Kindles screen and its contrast. Of course since pretty much all the screen are very similar when it comes to e-ink I don't think its saying much.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
If it were not for the font hack for the Kindle 2 I would have returned it. There was a notable difference compared to my Sony 505.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propheous View Post
This is by far not the first complaint I have heard about the Kindles screen and its contrast. Of course since pretty much all the screen are very similar when it comes to e-ink I don't think its saying much.
Could be possible that Kindle has a defective screen. I've not seen any contrast issues on a Kindle, but I have heard of some of the early v2 models shipping with screens that had flaws.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I think this is bull. I've personally tried the Sony PRS 600 and the refresh rates on the Nook are at least as fast as that. Probably faster.

People forget that the iPhone had godawful slowdown in their early firmwares. Even after 2.0 came out it had some terrible slow down and crashing problems with even native apps like Safari. It's only with 3.0 really that it's become quite sprightly, but even then it gives me plenty of frustrating slow down. It's entirely conceivable and likely that patches could do a lot to optimize the user experience on something like the Nook, just like they have on the iPhone, or ANY consumer electronic device that has had updatable software/firmware.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
JJoyce
JJoyce began at the beginning.

Device: nook
So...

Having had some time today to play with the nook demos at B&N, I think this "it's slow" thing has been blown out of proportion.

During my time playing with the device, I never noticed any appreciable slow down apart from a "formatting" pause when you open a book or switch from helvetica neue to one of the other included font.

I think I'm pretty sold on the device after today's experiences.
JJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
From this video it does look like it may take a little longer to get to a book but once your in your book the refresh rate seems pretty quick. I wish that he demonstrate the page turns more though.

Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
Noone seems to notice at least one of the most common consistency issues with these reviews?

Firmware.
Isn't it rude to give your guests a steak and tell them to wait ten minutes before cutting into it because it's still pretty raw on the inside?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousoxide View Post
I think this is bull. I've personally tried the Sony PRS 600 and the refresh rates on the Nook are at least as fast as that. Probably faster.
Lots of people are saying it...and where theres smoke...
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJoyce View Post
So...

Having had some time today to play with the nook demos at B&N, I think this "it's slow" thing has been blown out of proportion.

During my time playing with the device, I never noticed any appreciable slow down apart from a "formatting" pause when you open a book or switch from helvetica neue to one of the other included font.

I think I'm pretty sold on the device after today's experiences.
I also played with one at B&N and I do not agree with the "its Slow" either. I found page turns just fine. I liked what I saw.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
javajoe96
javajoe96 began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes & Noble Nook, Sony PRS-700
Nook Speed

well, if you think it is slow or not, B&N already working on a firmware update to speed up everything, hopefully it will be out before the end of the year.
javajoe96 is offline   Reply With Quote