Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
ensyed
Enthusiast
ensyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Anyone get to try the Nook?

I am outside the US so havent seen the Nook. Can anyone, who has tried it at a store, comment on it?
I am waiting for it. My main attraction is that I can read Adobe Digital Editions library books on it. The kindle cannot do it without some hacking of the books.

Thx
ensyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It is not released yet.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
At this point it's vaporware, a LOT of orders have been taken but none shipped yet. There is also a pending lawsuit stating the the tech was stolen from another company. between all this and the gigantic size (relatively) of the DX (not to mention the gigantic price ) I choose to order the DX and give up on the Nook.

Maybe I'll pick on up next year as a gift for the wife, depends on how everything shakes out when it ships.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
The nook cannot be considered vaporware at this point. According to Wikipedia vaporware is defined as:

Quote:
Vaporware is a term used to describe a product, usually software, that has been announced by a developer during or before its development, if there is significant doubt whether the product will actually be released.[1] The term is usually applied to products which fail to emerge after having well-exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product, or when the release date is delayed repeatedly without adequate evidence of specific unforeseen hurdles that cause these delays. The term implies unwarranted optimism, an as yet unannounced abandonment of a project, or sometimes even deception; that is, it may imply that the announcer knows that product development is in too early a stage to support responsible statements about its completion date, feature set, or even feasibility. However, most vaporware would not be considered a hoax since the makers have a genuine intention to create their product, even if it ultimately never materializes. Products with unspecified release dates or long development times that outwardly demonstrate regular, verifiable progress in production are not normally labelled vaporware.
I do not think that there is any significant doubt that the nook will be released.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
At this point it's vaporware, a LOT of orders have been taken but none shipped yet. There is also a pending lawsuit stating the the tech was stolen from another company. between all this and the gigantic size (relatively) of the DX (not to mention the gigantic price ) I choose to order the DX and give up on the Nook.

Maybe I'll pick on up next year as a gift for the wife, depends on how everything shakes out when it ships.
at this point it is unreleased. Vapor ware and unreleased have very different meanings, where vaporware is a derogatory term.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

"USUALLY software", it is also used to describe hardware in my circles.

Hmmm, Collecting orders that get charged right away on a credit card for an item that is JUST under the 30 day limit set on most purchases in the US for pre-order items and then face a lawsuit when you get your paddies caught stealing tech from another company along with the release of software that (supposedly) won't even support the proposed DRM you are releasing the book in?

Sounds like vaporware and smells like vaporware. I really hope I'm wrong but I just see to much shadiness to be comfortable. I was ready to order one and just couldn't manage to trust B&N.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

And you are certainly quick to throw some FUD around. There is no reason to believe it won't be delivered as promised unless you have some data that no one else here has.

Dale
Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Sounds like vaporware and smells like vaporware. I really hope I'm wrong but I just see to much shadiness to be comfortable. I was ready to order one and just couldn't manage to trust B&N.
It's quite likely that you are wrong, since you've been wrong in just about everything you've written in this thread so far. You've also been quick to cast aspersions on B&N when you don't actually have the facts. None of us does. From the facts that are available, however, it seems increasingly unlikely that B&N did anything even remotely improper and that the suit is simply a coattail money grab on the part of Spring Design. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

You have the terms of the lawsuit wrong, as well. It does not state that "the tech was stolen".

Pre-orders are not uncommon, especially with high-demand releases going into the holiday buying season. In fact, there's a rather recent history of it in this particular industry.

The fact that you frequently use the term vaporware in way that no one else does doesn't make your definition prevail. Just because people in your circles call a goat a horse doesn't mean the critter can compete in dressage.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Rootman
Groupie

jasonkchapman,
<sigh> Each is entitle to their own opinion.

Hardware as Vaporware: Google search: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...443ffcb5a5cce1

Geek Dictionary: http://geekdictionary.computing.net/define/vaporware
Quote:
"A product--either hardware or software..."
http://mashable.com/2009/11/02/spring-design-lawsuit/ :
Quote:
"The lawsuit claims that Barnes & Noble violated an NDA with Spring Design and misappropriated trade secrets by copying features from the Alex into their own Nook eReader."
They call it misappropriate, I call it stealin' since if I were to do it I'd get arrested for theft.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, I just saw too much stuff not adding up to be comfortable in my mind to pre-order one. I hope it ships on time, is a wonderful device and that B&N settles there suit with Spring Design amicably. It just wasn't for me.

Heck my wife is taking an interest in my DX, if she want an ereader maybe the Nook will be appropriate for her, she visits the local B&N store a lot. She doesn't get online and the free Wifi and samples in the store might be up her ally.

We'll see in December - or maybe we won't

Last edited by Rootman; 11-19-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
jkeranen
jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505/B&N Nook
Quote:
At this point it's vaporware, a LOT of orders have been taken but none shipped yet.
How many have been ordered? I don't think I have seen any announcement about that.
jkeranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
<sigh> Each is entitle to their own opinion.

Hardware as Vaporware: Google search: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...443ffcb5a5cce1

Geek Dictionary: http://geekdictionary.computing.net/define/vaporware

http://mashable.com/2009/11/02/spring-design-lawsuit/ :

They call it misappropriate, I call it stealin' since if I were to do it I'd get arrested for theft.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, I just saw too much stuff not adding up to be comfortable in my mind to pre-order one. I hope it ships on time, is a wonderful device and that B&N settles there suit with Spring Design amicably. It just wasn't for me.

Heck my wife is taking an interest in my DX, if she want an ereader maybe the Nook will be appropriate for her, she visits the local B&N store a lot. She doesn't get online and the free Wifi and samples in the store might be up her ally.

We'll see in December - or maybe we won't
The definition I quoted said "Usually" it did not say 100 percent of the time it is software.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
Rootman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
The definition I quoted said "Usually" it did not say 100 percent of the time it is software.
The comment was directed to the post directly above it by jasonkchapman, I did acknowledge your reference to "usually" in my post 2 posts below your original comment.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
Rootman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeranen View Post
How many have been ordered? I don't think I have seen any announcement about that.
Well if you try and pre-order one they state that it won't ship till Dec 18th. I suspect that they ran out of the first lot or are so overwhelmed that shipping on Dec 1st got pushed back.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
jkeranen
jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505/B&N Nook
Quote:
Well if you try and pre-order one they state that it won't ship till Dec 18th. I suspect that they ran out of the first lot or are so overwhelmed that shipping on Dec 1st got pushed back.
That really doesn't tell us much. They could have had 500 devices ready to ship or 500,000.
jkeranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #15
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Have you never preordered stuff before? If the initial interest in the product exceeds their expectations they might just not have enough in stock to meet demand.

I mean, hell, the Kindle was on backorder FOREVER because Amazon couldn't meet demand when it first came out. That doesn't mean it was "vaporware."
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote