Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Anyone else like old radio shows?

Does anyone else on MR enjoy listening to old radio shows - the ones from the days when radio, rather than TV, was the popular entertainment of its day?

I just love them, I must admit, especially detective and SF shows, of which huge numbers were made. We have a digital radio station here in the UK (BBC Radio 7) which broadcasts nothing but serialised books, and old (and new!) drama, comedy, etc, from the 1940s right up to the present day. I'm a huge fan - I have a digital radio with a timer and an SD card slot to record on, so I record all the "installments" of a show or book and then listen to them on my iPod.

At the moment, for example, they're doing a whole run of "Paul Temple" detective series from the 1950s. Great stuff!

Anyone else enjoy this kind of thing? What are your favourite shows?

I have to add, though, that I find old comedy shows totally "non-funny". "The Goon Show" for example - what a load of old twaddle! I suspect that such things are very "generational" in their appeal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I have a digital converter permanently tuned to Radio 7, plugged into my PC, using Total Recorder to capture.

My favourite must be The Navy Lark, especially the first series with Denis Price as the Number One. It brings back memories (albeit vague!) of listening to the first broadcasts in the late '50s - on a battery operated valve wireless set. My father would be roaring with laughter at some things I did not (yet) understand. To hear them again, in such quality, is wonderful.

This is closely followed by I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, and several other marvellous '60s and '70s radio comedies. I exclude The Clitheroe Kid from the list, as this was a show I never liked, either as a child or as I grew up.

I've also build up a large collection of Radio Plays from the '40s onward that have been uploaded to the various newsgroups. I think that I must have all the American Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes, for example.

Grand day for a little nostalgia.

Snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'm sorry i'll read that again is my favourite.

"it's the angus prune tune !"

My name is Angus Prune
and I always listen to I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again
(You Don't!)
My name is Angus Prune
and I never miss I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again
(Get Away!)
I sit in my bath
And I have a good laugh
Cause the sig tune is named after me
(Tell us yer name!)
My name is Angus Prune
And this is my tune
It goes I-S-I-R-T-A
I'm Sorry I'll Read That AGAIN!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Thanks for the tip on BBC 7 radio, Harry. I'm listening now to The Man from Munich.

In the '70's I enjoyed the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre which was a program in the same vein as those decades earlier. They were nothing special about these but I enjoyed them. You can find a number of them here: http://www.archive.org/details/otr_c...mysterytheater

I also enjoyed listening to short wave broadcasts for many years until that went into decline recently. And I even remember being pleasantly surprised when I once tuned into a low-power AM radio station broadcast of a woman reading from a book. In contrast, I almost never listen to audio books - I prefer to read them. There's something about listening to a radio production which is really quite satisfying but I can't put my finger on the difference.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Listening to those old radio shows is what got me interested in Audiobooks. Back in the mid-eighties, one of the local National Public Radio stations would play a lot of old mystery and comedy shows in the afternoon. I had a merchandising job at the time and drove all over Los Angeles on a daily basis. I would time my stops so that I would be in the car driving when that particular programming was on. It was great!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
In the '70's I enjoyed the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre which was a program in the same vein as those decades earlier. They were nothing special about these but I enjoyed them.
Yes, I know it well. All good stuff!
Old 06-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I have a digital converter permanently tuned to Radio 7, plugged into my PC, using Total Recorder to capture.

My favourite must be The Navy Lark, especially the first series with Denis Price as the Number One. It brings back memories (albeit vague!) of listening to the first broadcasts in the late '50s - on a battery operated valve wireless set. My father would be roaring with laughter at some things I did not (yet) understand. To hear them again, in such quality, is wonderful.

This is closely followed by I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, and several other marvellous '60s and '70s radio comedies. I exclude The Clitheroe Kid from the list, as this was a show I never liked, either as a child or as I grew up.
You obviously prefer the comedy to the drama - I'm the other way around .

Quote:
I've also build up a large collection of Radio Plays from the '40s onward that have been uploaded to the various newsgroups. I think that I must have all the American Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes, for example.
Yes, likewise. My main problem is trying to find time to actually listen to it! I generally do so in my car on the way to and from work.

I'm pleased to find there's such a tremendous amount of good radio drama still being made. Many of the "Radio 4 Afteroon Plays", for example, are excellent.

Quote:
Grand day for a little nostalgia.
Definitely!
Old 06-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does anyone else on MR enjoy listening to old radio shows - the ones from the days when radio, rather than TV, was the popular entertainment of its day?

I just love them, I must admit, especially detective and SF shows, of which huge numbers were made. We have a digital radio station here in the UK (BBC Radio 7) which broadcasts nothing but serialised books, and old (and new!) drama, comedy, etc, from the 1940s right up to the present day. I'm a huge fan - I have a digital radio with a timer and an SD card slot to record on, so I record all the "installments" of a show or book and then listen to them on my iPod.

At the moment, for example, they're doing a whole run of "Paul Temple" detective series from the 1950s. Great stuff!

Anyone else enjoy this kind of thing? What are your favourite shows?

I have to add, though, that I find old comedy shows totally "non-funny". "The Goon Show" for example - what a load of old twaddle! I suspect that such things are very "generational" in their appeal.
There are a lot of OTRs on archive.org. I love the Sherlock Holmes and Sam Spade OTR shows, Dragnet and Gunsmoke.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I am a Radio 7 addict - they repeat things regularly so I now know some of my favourites quite well. I particularly love the Paul Temple mysteries.

The thing I particularly like about the Paul Temple series and other crime/thrillers/classics that they play is that they play one episode a day, rather than one a week so you don't forget what has happened in between and can get to the end of the series relatively quickly.

I have an internet radio so I can access the BBC listen again radio programmes without turning on a computer!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I love a lot of old BBC radio comedies - 'Hancock's Half Hour', 'Round the Horne', 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', 'Beachcomber by the Way' etc.

They are fabulous, and they cheer me up!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How could I have failed to mention A Prairie Home Companion which is now in its 35th year? http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

I loathe most of the music. But I just can't resist Garrison Keillor's dry, intelligent humor and the skits of Guy Noir, The Lonesome Cowboys, and News From Lake Wobegon. And Sue Scott and Tim Russell are just brilliant: http://www.prairiehomevoices.com/

Brought to you by Powder Milk Biscuits, Bebop-a-rebop Rhubarb Pie, and the Ketchup Advisory Board.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 06-28-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

...and the Professional Organization of English Majors.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look up BBC7 on the net. I listen to OTR ocassionally, among many other things. Time.... (Books, the evening movie, music, gardening, occasional piece of travel, cooking, scanning for PD, and on, and on...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
I remember well listening with my family in the 50's, Dick Barton, Journey into space, Round the horn, Much binding in the marsh, The Navy lark and of course the Goon show. Just a few that spring to mind.

I agree that the comedy shows have become dated to a great extent, though there are still some gems there.

Radio7 is a bit more difficult out here The satellite signal is a bit weak but there is always the internet, though the beeb do block many things outside the UK. And it gobbles up bandwidth strangely.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Radio 7 is almost worth the license fee on its own. Apart from all the classic comedy and drama series, they have fantastic audio book adaptations of classic and contemporary fiction. Today I'm listening to a fantastic version of Walter Moseley's classic noir tale "Devil in a Blue Dress" on iPlayer catchup (i really should get a DAB radio).

If you're in the UK, or can access via a proxy, heres the address for the Moseley adaptation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ess_Episode_1/
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote