Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #466
Mterry
Enthusiast
Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS T1; Kindle T3G
Thank you. I read the instructions to jailbreak it, but I think it is easier for me to downgrade and then to choose to jailbreak the KT 3g in the same procedure. Isn't it?
Mterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #467
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mterry View Post
Thank you. I read the instructions to jailbreak it, but I think it is easier for me to downgrade and then to choose to jailbreak the KT 3g in the same procedure. Isn't it?
The K3 takes from 2 to 3 hours to re-flash. Oops. Sorry.
It may be easier for the user, but certainly not faster.

Last edited by knc1; 06-26-2013 at 12:10 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #468
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
The instructions in the other thread are slightly outdated - Kubrick can now also only jailbreak without necessarily downgrading. If you are running a working FW 5.3.2.1, and you intend to stay on that FW, you can safely uncheck the "Yes, flash the main partition" checkbox on the "Confirm main partition flashing" screen. In that case, the installed FW will be jailbroken. If you leave it checked, it will be downgraded.

It's up to you. Both methods will work, but downgrading and upgrading again will require more time.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #469
Mterry
Enthusiast
Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Thank you.
It is not clear in the first page of this thread. It seems that the jailbreak downgrade the KT at fw 5.1.xxx. Do you mean that I can use the flash key I prepared ( with the image ISO for KT and the file to boot it) to jailbreak the device and when the procedure show me "Yes, I flash the main partition", I uncheck it? so I don't need to upgrade to fw 5.3.2.1?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #470
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you.
It is not clear in the first page of this thread. It seems that the jailbreak downgrade the KT at fw 5.1.xxx. Do you mean that I can use the flash key I prepared ( with the image ISO for KT and the file to boot it) to jailbreak the device and when the procedure show me "Yes, I flash the main partition", I uncheck it? so I don't need to upgrade to fw 5.3.2.1?
It only downgrades if you overwrite the main partition. So yes, just uncheck the "flash the main partition" checkbox in order to jailbreak the *existing* firmware.
Advert
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #471
Mterry
Enthusiast

Sorry, the Kubrick debrick that I downloaded has two options:
1- for Kindle non touch fw 4.1.1
2- for kindle touch fw 5.1.2
it does not indicate fw 5.3.2.1.
Does the option "flash the main partition" come out after choosing 2?

Last edited by Mterry; 07-03-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #472
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Sorry, the Kubrick debrick that I downloaded has two options:
1- for Kindle non touch fw 4.1.1
2- for kindle touch fw 5.1.2
it does not indicate fw 5.3.2.1.
Does the option "flash the main partition" come out after choosing 2?
Yes. FW 5.1.2 gets installed if you decide to overwrite the firmware. If you don't, your current firmware remains installed, whatever version it is.

Just go ahead and try it - you will see that it's really simple to use. And you can't really do anything wrong.

Last edited by ixtab; 07-03-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #473
MarquezFTW
MarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to beholdMarquezFTW is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
on Touch: No home button to press for entering USB Downloader mode (Kubrick)

Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
Kubrick running on a DVD on a real machine.

I've tried both the instructions that Kubrick gives and that of the Wiki for the Touch, both connected to my PC and not connected to my PC and I can enter USB Downloader Mode. All I get is the screen going blank and then the device restarting and going back to how it was originally.

Plus, how am I supposed to hit the home button when the device is plugged into the PC (as per Kubrick instructions, post removing it) if the screen just displays the ~"connected to PC, disconnect if you want to go back to buying/doing stuff with the Kindle" screen?

I am disconnecting the Kindle from the microUSB cable plugged into my desktop, but not removing the cable from the PC (which I thought shouldn't matter).

I searched through some threads but all I can get is people being able to get it to work.
MarquezFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #474
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
You are supposed to press the physical button, the one showing a house. It's not about tapping on the screen.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #475
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@hawhill: In a fun & confusing fashion, the physical home button on the touch isn't actually in the shape of a house, but of three horizontal lines, which we usually associate with the idea of a 'menu' (also, hurts my thumb)...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #476
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Oh! So I stand corrected. I just concluded that from a short image search, but I probably got irritated by pictures from the K4. Thanks for the correction!
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #477
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
You are supposed to press the physical button [...]. It's not about tapping on the screen.
Just to be perfectly clear: the "HOME" button that Kubrick refers to for the Kindle Touch is the physical button which sits right below the screen, right in the middle of the lower part of the bezel, directly facing the user.

Essentially, the only other button that the Kindle Touch has besides the power button.

PS: Merged original thread into Kubrick thread.

Last edited by ixtab; 07-05-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #478
ixtab
(offline)

Download stats

I know that this is probably just irrelevant clutter for most people, but I'd like to share a few stats anyway.

In June 2013, the core Kubrick files were downloaded 9698 times from the primary download location alone (not counting mirrors).

In total, there were well over 50,000 downloads since the release. Of course, this is almost nothing compared to what microsoft.com gets every day, but still... it's much more than I would have expected.

... and now...: what if even one out of ten people who download Kubrick took that "if you can, please help to provide a perspective to children in Laos by giving them access to education" plea seriously... Wouldn't that just be awesome?

(Note: I'm not affiliated in any way with the Laos Literacy Project. I'm just thinking aloud.)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #479
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I bet you can "do numbers" with the best of them, so ....
Estimate the number of "broke" Kindles that have not been returned to Amazon for warranty replacement.

Turn those numbers into a nice letter, send to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bezos#Amazon.com
With the suggestion that Amazon send part of those business cost savings, to the Laos Literacy Project.

Keep the letter short, to the point, and polite -

With the thought in mind that Mr. Bezos could probably buy Laos without asking Bill Gates for a loan.

Yes - I am serious.
PM me if you want help with the draft of the letter.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #480
tovi888
tovi888 began at the beginning.

Device: k4
Fails to reboot into diognistics mode

Hi

I was ale to follow the procedures on how to use Kubrick unfortunately my K4 would freeze in diagnostic mode. And if it try to reset again it does not boot anymore and would just stay stuck in the kindle home screen and does not finish booting at all.

Help please
tovi888 is offline   Reply With Quote