Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Kobo error: database disk image is malformed

I have a new Kobo. I hooked it up with calibre 0.8.5 and had a problem with an ePub book rendering badly. Today I upgraded to 0.8.11, to make sure it wasn't a bug that had been fixed.

Now I can't even connect to it. I get the following log from calibre in debug mode:

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 332, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 249, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.11
Darwin-10.8.0-i386-64bit
Darwin
('Darwin', '10.8.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386')
Python 2.7.1
OSX: ('10.6.8', ('', '', ''), 'i386')
Starting up...
Started up in 14.3435781002
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
DEBUG: 0.0 Version of firmware: 1.9 Has kepubs: True
DEBUG: 0.0 Database Version: 14
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished
database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 332, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 249, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

========== end of log =========

It's a new device, I don't have a lot of data invested in it, so I can reformat it if that's the next step. I just don't know what went wrong. I've always quit calibre before unmounting the device and I've always unmounted it before unpluging it. I've even rebooted my computer, in case it was some I/O glitch. No change. The Borders app does work, though it does so little that it's not saying much.

What's this error message telling me? What's the next step?? Should I just be using an SD card, so that calibre doesn't have to manage the device's file system? Calibre's always worked so well on my Sony ...
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is caused by a bug in the Kobo firmware. Older Kobos see this
happen more rarely, the newer Kobo Touch more often. You either need to
hard reset your device, or, if that does not restore the database,
follow the instructions here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94789
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not sure I would use that link. I do not believe there has been a documented approach yet for restoring a database for the 1.9.x firmware on the Touch.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

That link looked too hard for me as well. The Factory Reset revived the Kobo, and it even remembered that it had new firmware. I don't have a Touch, in fact I went with the Kobo WiFi because Sony's gone all touchscreen in the 6" size.

I'm having lots of problems with calibre ePubs causing the Kobo to lock up, but the problem isn't localized to my piece of hardware.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
in fact I went with the Kobo WiFi because Sony's gone all touchscreen in the 6" size.
I'm sorry you are having trouble with your Kobo, do you have an aversion to touch screens? I just upgraded from my 505 and chose the 950 for a few of reasons, 1st I got a decent price on it, 2nd its screen was excellent and the touch screen features well integrated, 3rd calibre's driver dealing with Sony devices is very mature and extremely flexible.

Quote:
I'm having lots of problems with calibre ePubs causing the Kobo to lock up, but the problem isn't localized to my piece of hardware.
What other hardware experiences this problem. I guess I'm lucky because I haven't had a problem on any of my ereaders with ePubs converted by calibre. It seems to me this might be a Kobo specific problem. Maybe you could share a PD book that causes the Kobo to lock up and we can take a look at it.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
RSaunders
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm sorry you are having trouble with your Kobo, do you have an aversion to touch screens?
I like the concept of a touchscreen, just not the implementations I've seen. The plastic membrane scheme Sony uses makes the print look farther away and fuzzy. The retroreflective glass Apple uses on the iPhone is better, because it's really clear, but it fingerprints like mad. There might be a good middle ground out there, but I presume these choices are driven by sound economics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
What other hardware experiences this problem. I guess I'm lucky because I haven't had a problem on any of my ereaders with ePubs converted by calibre. It seems to me this might be a Kobo specific problem. Maybe you could share a PD book that causes the Kobo to lock up and we can take a look at it.
I meant other Kobo's had the problem. I made a sample book to illustrate the issue, you can see it at this link . I'm sure it's some un-written rule of Kobo. We just need to figure it out so that calibre can work around it.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The plastic membrane scheme Sony uses makes the print look farther away and fuzzy.
Your talking about ancient Sony devices, the 350, 650, 950 have no layer between the screen and the reader. The screen is perfect and since it is eink and has no back-lighting the finger prints are rarely noticeable.

Quote:
I meant other Kobo's had the problem. I made a sample book to illustrate the issue, you can see it at this link . I'm sure it's some un-written rule of Kobo.
There are quirks that can trip up any ereader, hopefully you'll be able to isolate the trouble.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have quite a number of ePub made by Calibre from other formats and my 650 has not locked up or glitched with any of them that was not user error.

This is one reason I go Sony. It just works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote