Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
jmom
jmom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-950
Can I stop Calibre from auto-syncing with my Sony PRS-950?

I have been using Calibre exclusively with my Sony 950 (not the Sony Reader Library software). Since I don't have to be plugged into my computer to get books from google onto my reader, I don't have every book that's on my reader also on Calibre. Consequently, whenever I plug in my reader to move stuff over from Calibre I lose collections on my reader that don't exist on Calibre. How can I keep this from happening? Is there some way to stop auto-syncing? Thank you for any advice you guys have!
jmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Check the setting you have in Preferences - Sending books to device - metadata management and read the available options under the box. It sounds as if you may have it set to Automatic.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
jmom

Actually, I do have it set to manual management. It's strange because that option says with that as the setting calibre will never delete a collection, which is exactly what is happening to me! Thanks for the idea, though!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You probably use ADE to books put on the reader. ADE puts books in a place where calibre doesn't see them, so the books are assumed to be deleted.

BTW: if you really want to stop calibre syncing, then disable the sony plugin and use connect_to_folder to put books on the device.

Last edited by chaley; 03-20-2011 at 02:35 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice
Moved to the appropriate forum
Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
jmom

Thanks for the tip, Chaley. I don't use ADE to load books onto my reader. I either get them directly on my reader through wi-fi, or I use calibre to send them over. Maybe I'll try your idea about disabling the sony plug-in and just using the connect to folder command. I've never done it that way, so I'll see how that goes. I appreciate the help.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You need to use something (not Calibre) to download the books. ADE can be used for this even if you are then going to put the book into Calibre to send to your reader.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmom View Post
Thanks for the tip, Chaley. I don't use ADE to load books onto my reader. I either get them directly on my reader through wi-fi, or I use calibre to send them over. Maybe I'll try your idea about disabling the sony plug-in and just using the connect to folder command. I've never done it that way, so I'll see how that goes. I appreciate the help.
You need to use something (not Calibre) to download the books. ADE can be used for this even if you are then going to put the book into Calibre to send to your reader.
I sense a little thread confusion. The poster states that (s)he uses wireless to download the books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I sense a little thread confusion. The poster states that (s)he uses wireless to download the books.
I did post that reply in the middle of the night when I was having trouble sleeping, so I have some excuse .
Old 03-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #10
jmom

You're right in that I do use wireless to download books, primarily from google books and sony's store. However, I do plug in my reader when I have used calibre to convert some Pdfs to epub or organize other epubs that I get from various web-sites. It is whenever I plug in my sony to get books from calibre that my collections on my reader get messed up. I have my metadata management option set to manual, but it still happens every time I plug in. The collections that go missing are the ones containing books that I didn't get from calibre. I don't know if I'm making sense! I'm frustrated because everything I read about this issue says if you have the metadata management set to manual that calibre will leave your collections alone. Is there a way to contact the people at calibre? They seem receptive to fixing bugs.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Is there a way to contact the people at calibre? They seem receptive to fixing bugs.
You ARE contacting them by posting here.

I think at the moment the issue is that this is not a known problem, and so the issue is what is different about what you are doing from what has been tested. The problem will probably not get fixed until a way is found for one of the developers to reliably reproduce the issue.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You're right in that I do use wireless to download books, primarily from google books and sony's store.
Although I don't have a wireless Sony reader to test, I am 99.99% sure that your problem stems from the same one created by ADE. Calibre believes that books (or whatever) are to go into a certain folder, specifically "database/media/books". If whatever puts the books on the device puts them somewhere else, then calibre thinks that the books have been deleted and will remove them from collections.

You have several choices:
1) don't use calibre
2) use connect to folder, which does not touch the Sony DB or collections.
3) copy into calibre the books you download using wireless, then use calibre to put the books back onto the device. At that point you can, should you choose, use calibre to manage collections.
4) live with the collections disappearing.
Quote:
Is there a way to contact the people at calibre? They seem receptive to fixing bugs.
We are the people at calibre.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
jmom

Wow... I had no idea you guys were the people at calibre. What a newbie I am! I really appreciate your advice, and I will see where it gets me. I'll come back soon and let you know if this has resolved my issue.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Wow... I had no idea you guys were the people at calibre. What a newbie I am! I really appreciate your advice, and I will see where it gets me. I'll come back soon and let you know if this has resolved my issue.
FYI, If I recall correctly chaley is the developer who put in place this code.

Personnaly I use chaley's 3rd option below. I set the metadata management to automatic and get all of my books in calibre then resend the books to the ereader as required.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
jmom

I finally decided to copy the books that were only on my reader into calibre, and I may have discovered the cause of the issue. When I plugged in my reader and started to copy the missing books into calibre, I discovered that the books on my reader were in two different folders: The ones also in calibre were in a "books" folder, and the ones only on my reader that I had downloaded wirelessly were in a "downloads" folder. I guess calibre wasn't checking for the other folder, which I'm imagining would possible if I knew how to do it. Anyway, my books on my reader now match the ones I have in calibre, so hopefully I won't have any more missing collections. Thanks for everybody's assistance.

Tags
calibre, sony prs-950