Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
My experiments with using a G3 iBook to run iTunes Producer.

Okay,

The first 512MB RAM chip was bad... So I had to order a new one. (Made SURE it was new rather than a 'pulled' memory board.)

Then I had to search and search and search for a set of OS X 10.4.0 in CD format rather than the far easier to find DVD disc.

Well, as of today, my now-640MB RAM, G3, iBook w/10GB hard drive and 12" display *IS* fully upgraded to OS X 10.4.11, Safari 4.1.1 and iTunes 9.2. It accepted the iTunes Producer 2.1.2 and installed it properly. The app RUNS!

So once I figure out how to really use it effectively, I *will* be able to produce Apple iBookstore-compatible epubs directly. Yay!

That means you don't *have* to have a really expensive MacBook Pro, Air or desktop Mac to create epubs for direct sale through iBookstore. My iBook ran me $57 w/shipping. The *new* 512MB memory ran $18. The 4-CD OS X 10.4.0 install set was the *big* expense at over $97!

Still cheaper than buying a new MacSystem just to load into iBookstore!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
That is a great deal!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
That is a great deal!
Anyone know how long it takes for 'Deliver' to get past the "Testing TCP/UDP connectivity" phase??? I'm a-sittin' around now for the last 20 minutes and it's still 'Testing...'.

Just so everyone knows. My level of competence with any level of Mac computer can be measured in days - as in the last 21 days I've actually had *THIS* iBook G3 up and running. My main machine is a Core2Quad WinVista machine and I've got a Motorola SBG900 cablemodem providing WiFi access to the internet.

So if I need to configure the hardware firewall in my cablemodem to allow iTunes Producer access from my iBook, or if I just need to do some configuration on the iBook, let me know please?

Derek

(Yes, with 640MB RAM, 10GB HD and OS X 10.4.11 installed and iTunes updated to 9.xx, iTunes Producer installs and runs! )

Last edited by delphidb96; 08-21-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard

I have a question... I get all the way through to the point of delivery and iTunes Producer 'hangs' at the point where it is "Testing TCP/UDP Connectivity."

Now my iBook is connecting through a Motorola SBG900 802.11a/b/g WiFi cablemodem which has it's own hardware firewall. I *think* I've set everything up right but I can't seem to get past that point.

Just to be clear, my iBook has NO problem accessing the Internet and upload and download files, but iTunes Producer can't seem to properly verify the TCP/UDP connection. Does anyone have experience with installing iTunes Producer with an SBG900 cablemodem?
Old 10-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard

AAAaaannnndddd.... NEVER MIND!!!

Finally got the Port Forwarding/Port Triggering and Firewall settings set up and I'm now past the "Testing TCP/UDP Connectivity" message and it's verifying assets with the Itunes Store. Yay! One step closer to getting Carl Bussjaeger's "Net Assets" and "The Anarchists" published through iBookstore!

Last edited by delphidb96; 10-09-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Advert