Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Potential buyer, Jetbook Original Q's

Hi All,

I am rather intrigued about the Jetbook Original (not Lite) and the LCD screen. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone could answer.

1) Does the JB support font resizing with epubs? I read on the Ectaco forums that it didn't support it with epubs at the moment.

2) The two fonts available are Arial and Verdana. Can I install a serif font, like Times New Roman?

3) The manual mentions the use of a special AC charger, is this just a normal AC-USB charger? And the USB cable, is it an ordinary usb cable? It is mentioned as a dual data/power cable and to buy one from Ectaco is $39.95AUS.

4) I understand the JB uses FBReader and I realise its limitations. Will epubs (built correctly) display fully justified? I ask as the screen shots I see shows all text left-justified.

5) Battery life, times vary etc, but what would one expect when reading epubs? IIRC the 20+ hours was reading .txt, would I see a time drop reading epubs?

6) Lastly, firmware. I see a few comments about people waiting for a firmware update for the original JB. What are the major issues with the current firmware? Is it just lack of DRM support (not an issue for me)?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
#1 I don't know, I'd trust the answer from the Ectaco forums.

#2 I don't think so. At least I've never heard of anyone doing so.

#3 the Jetbook ships with both (A) a 110v AC adapter for charging.
(B) a USB cord that can be used to charge, or transfer books.
(I mostly use the 110v adapter for charging) (I use a USB SD card adapter for transfering books, as its USB 2.0 and seriously faster if moving more than 10 books.)

#4 Back to Epubs again, not my strong suit. Hopefully someone else can answer.
(my format of choice is .RTF)

#5 I think you'll find it makes more difference how long it spends in sleep mode and how many page turns more than which format. At least I've never been able to notice a difference. But again, I don't read that many Epubs.

#6 I wouldn't say there are that many "issues" so much as they are constantly trying to add new features, new file formats, etc. DRM such as from B&N is one of the big ones they are working on. JBL has it, but at this point Jetbook doesn't. The latest JBL firmware added dictionaries and search for books in .PDB format.

Sorry I was limited on what I could help you with.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post

1) Does the JB support font resizing with epubs? I read on the Ectaco forums that it didn't support it with epubs at the moment.

6) Lastly, firmware. I see a few comments about people waiting for a firmware update for the original JB. What are the major issues with the current firmware? Is it just lack of DRM support (not an issue for me)?
1) yes, you can change font size for epub books (6 sizes)

6) JetBook has no DRM support yet but JetBook-lite has support for eReader DRM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
1) the jetBook didn't originally have ePUB support, but now it does. So the forum answers you saw must have been dated. 6 Font Sizes, yup.
2) Not without "hacking" the firmware. Some people have worked on it, but not for most.
3) You don't need to buy any cables. Yes, it can be used with a standard USB-to-USB-mini cable, but either way, it comes with both an AC Adapter and dual USB cable.
4) You can choose either left or full justification for ePUBs.
5) I don't think ePUBs vs. TXT would give a significant battery difference.
6) Most people want new firmware for DRM support (non issue for me as well). There's also non-DRM eReader, which is supported by the Lite but not the jetBook yet.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote