Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
RKnack
Enthusiast
RKnack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 (deceased)
Need something durable AND pocket-sized, AND inexpensive!

I am getting frustrated. I received a Sony PRS350 a couple years ago for Christmas. I loved it, but I dropped it one too many times and it quit working, and now it would cost as much to have it fixed as it would cost to get another one online (discount price).

I then paid just under $40 for a Chinese-made MeBook 4.3" mini touchscreen. Seemed nice enough, for the price - but I dropped it ONCE, and it quit working (I had had it for less than a week).

Yes, I tend to be a bit fumble-fingered, unfortunately.

I am looking for a reader that will take at least SOME abuse, is pocket-sized (I don't want a 7" tablet!), and cost less than $100 (I am on a tight budget). I also don't want a Kindle, for personal reasons.

Oh, and I'd prefer MP3 capability, as well, since I like to listen to audiobooks (and MP3 recordings of old-time radio shows...)

Does what I want even exist????

Last edited by RKnack; 05-06-2013 at 01:16 AM.
RKnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, the Kindle costs less than $100, can fit in my pocket at least, and has MP3 support, (including built-in access to Audible.com audiobooks) but you specifically don't want it...

The Nook SimpleTouch is also < $100, but has no audio capability whatsoever. It is a little shorter and fatter than the Kindle, so it should presumably also fit in a pocket.

Mind if I ask what you have against the Kindle?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo Mini is a 5" e-ink reader that a lot of owners are loving for the size. It has been going for about $50 here down-under recently and I am sure I have seen similar prices mentioned in the US. But, it doesn't do any sound at all.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Don't know about durability but sounds like you should just pick one of the available ereaders and invest in a good case to go with it, so when you do eventually drop it, it won't necessarily break.

For pocket sized, the PRS 350 you already had in the official Sony case seems very sturdy to me. Personally I'd probably just buy a used one from ebay and invest in a good case, as that seems likely to be the cheapest option. But there are a couple of fairly cheap options available that have been released fairly recently - neither has sound though:

Both the Kobo Mini and the Trekstor Pyrus Mini are available at under $100. Yyou can buy a Kobo Mini at an Indy Bookstore in the US (http://www.indiebound.org/ebooks), or online at Powells for $80. The Trekstor is more readily available in Europe, not sure if you can buy it from their online store and ship to the US or not, but it's 50€ (about $65).

Last edited by soulfuldog; 05-06-2013 at 08:02 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I think all the readers are relatively equal in ruggedness. If I'm not out of line, may I suggest not dropping your readers so often?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
My Mini already fell twice and it's still going strong It's small and not expensive (depending on where you're living).

RIP your 350
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
... For pocket sized, the PRS 350 you already had in the official Sony case seems very sturdy to me. Personally I'd probably just buy a used one from ebay and invest in a good case, as that seems likely to be the cheapest option.
That's what I'd do as well. I bought a few used ones, the cheapest was $35, one was $45 with a case.

Edit: Btw, I've dropped my 350s quite a few times, and usually on hard concrete walkways from at least 3'. It was at least in the Sony official cover though which gave it some protection, but each time I held my breath thinking "now I've really done it this time" while I turned it on to see if it still worked... and it still worked perfectly after the drops.

Since you drop yours also, you can't beat the price on a used one. Just be sure to check with the seller if there are any scratches on the screen.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-07-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yes, get a 350 off ebay AND a good case. AND find a way to attach a wrist strap. Or a chain. Or something! lol
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Completely agree, PRS-350 is quite durable. I've always been pretty careless with it (a couple of hard drops, sits inside my bag without a case) and mine's still working. The screen on my iRiver Story HD got cracked and for the life of me, I still don't know what I did to cause that since it didn't get abused like the PRS-350.

I guess the aluminum shell is partly to thank for its durability.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm with the others--for a pocket size e-reader, the Sony 350 is my choice. And from what I see it's one of the most durable ones out there. Buy a sturdy case and try to be careful!

Haven't ever owned a Kobo, but the mini with a sturdy case is probably a good option as well.

Good luck!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
My Nook STR has been dropped several times (in the case) and has not been damaged in any way. It's almost 2 years old and still going strong!
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 AM   #12
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
My Mini already fell twice and it's still going strong It's small and not expensive (depending on where you're living).
I forgot to add that when the Mini fell on the floor made of tile, it wasn't in any type of case or cover But that wasn't that high, maybe around 50 cm.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
RKnack
Enthusiast
RKnack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 (deceased)
Well, somehow I managed to get the MeBook working again. The case I had ordered for it just arrived in the mail yesterday (the day AFTER I dropped it, of course... :P). Hopefully it will continue to work until I have enough saved up that I can buy a better-quality ebook...
RKnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
INVEST IN A WRIST STRAP!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I forgot to add that when the Mini fell on the floor made of tile, it wasn't in any type of case or cover But that wasn't that high, maybe around 50 cm.
50 cm? That's not too far... what, about the length of an American Cockroach?

http://www.orkin.com/cockroaches/american-cockroach/

<apparently us Americans shouldn't be allowed to use the metric system>
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote