Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Michealj
Edge User

Flexible Keyboards...

Hello, I've seen these flexible keyboards in the stores but never used one. Has anyone on the forum used one? They might be a foldable totable option on occasions..

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Micheal

Old 04-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

The one comment that has been several times in the past is that foldable keyboards generally require a solid surface (e.g. table) and won't work on one's lap.

Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
paula-t
Edge User

I have one. It was disappointing. I type very fast and if the keyboard is not really precise, soft and "springy" (oh, I know what I mean but...), speed turns into frustration. You can only type very fast when you have a fine keyboard, or the "notes in the piano" get tangled.
I plan to buy a hard, small and thin keyboard. I think Sarah or Cheyenne or NiaTrue recommended one, I don't remember now who did. I will search again in the threads and try to get one.
As Boris said, you need to place them in a solid surface, not in your knees.

But if you need to use the keyboard occasionally and you want to fold it and put it into a small place in your carry bag, it may do. If you have to type for a long time, I would not recommend it.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Michealj
Edge User

Boris and Paula-t, thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it. I am not a typist but I don't want to make the process more difficult than it already is. Convenience was in my mind Paula, being able to fold and take along. I will look at the variety, especially the smaller keyboards, available at the tech stores in my area and test them if they let me.

Thanks,

Micheal

Old 04-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
sarah11918
Edge User

This is the keyboard I got (on recommendation of others here): http://www.amazon.com/Super-Slim-Key...dp/B003PHJJV6/

It's pretty much the exact length of the EE and, yes, "super slim." It's very much like the Apple keyboard. A few pictures in comparison to the EE and the case I have (fits both EE and keyboard). I've never wanted a folding keyboard because I guess I only saw them years ago when they first came out, and they didn't "lock" into place very well (meaning you still had to use them on a solid surface) but someone here mentioned a new one that looked quite solid and verified you could use it on the lap.

Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Michealj
Edge User

Thank you Sarah, I will check it out.

Regards,

Micheal

Old 04-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
devseev
Edge User

I second Sarah's comment - I have tried many different mini-keyboards for th eDGe and this one is by far the best in portability, usability and matching looks.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
TerryLee
Edge User

I looked at Amazon and they are out of these keyboards, but I did find several on Ebay. I think the white one like Sarah has looks the best. Does anyone know if the wireless ones might work?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
Hopi
Edge User

what happened to jorno?

I am not sure if I read about this folding keyboard with bluetooth connectivity here in the forum. But does anyone have an update about it? Is it already available in the US?

Old 04-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
aidren
Edge User

I agree with paula-t, the key action on the flexibles that I tried were terrible. I have rheumatoid arthritis and they would never work for me. I purchased the one sarah is showing here (from ebay), and it works great. Nice light touch. Easy on the hands.

Last edited by aidren; 04-17-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
Michealj
Edge User

Thanks everyone, input is appreciated. I will heed your advice and look for a smaller portable one to take along when needed.

Regards,

Micheal

Old 04-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
Michealj
Edge User

Hi Sarah, evidently this keyboard is no longer available, but they did have one "used-Like new" available at a reasonable price through Amazon. I needed ink so it comes with free shipping. Thanks for all the input.

This is the keyboard I got (on recommendation of others here): http://www.amazon.com/Super-Slim-Key...dp/B003PHJJV6/ [Sarah's input]

Regards,

Micheal

Old 04-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealj View Post
Hi Sarah, evidently this keyboard is no longer available
Yes, sadly it hasn't been available on Amazon for a while. It's still the most convenient link I have for showing people which one I mean, though. Sorry to "tease" you like that!

(PS your link was "inner-truncated" by the forum. What's the word for when your link gets ... 'ed in the middle? Compressed?)

Old 04-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
borisb
Edge User

Copying Forum Links

Just a note to forum users that if you want to copy a link from another post, you need to right-click the link and "Copy Shortcut", not swipe your mouse across it to select the text.

If you select the text of the hyperlink, you'll get the "..." that appears in the text of the post.

If you Copy Shortcut, you'll get the full URL.

Note that the forum shortens some URLs using "...", possibly to avoid super long URLs appearing in posts, etc.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
Michealj
Edge User

Thank you Boris, I'll do that next time.

Regards,

Micheal