Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: About how many hours did it take you to actually *read* HP7?
Less than 5 3 7.50%
5 to 6 2 5.00%
6 to 7 5 12.50%
7 to 8 3 7.50%
8 to 9 3 7.50%
9 to 10 5 12.50%
10 to 11 6 15.00%
11 to 12 1 2.50%
12 to 13 2 5.00%
13 to 14 0 0%
14 to 15 0 0%
15 to 16 3 7.50%
16 to 17 0 0%
17 to 18 0 0%
18 to 19 0 0%
19 to 20 0 0%
More than 20 2 5.00%
Just show me the results. 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
For those who have finished it, how long did it take you to read HP7

Actual elapsed time reading, I mean. Estimations are plenty good enough for my curiosity.

I'm reading kinda slow right now (head-cold), I think I got through it in 15 hours.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just started HP7. So I'm a ways away from finishing. Not even past chapter 1. But, I'll keep track of how long my reading is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Turtle Woman
Enthusiast
Turtle Woman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I read for 24 hours less 8 hours for sleeping. I finished at 1:14 PM on Sunday in floods of tears.
Turtle Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think about 7 hours. My reading speed was somewhat slower early on, due to the um... circumstances... under which I was reading it. (Some of the pages were a little blurry.) Might have been more like 8 overall.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
quick unsatisifing read
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
quick unsatisifing read
Did you read the other six Harry Potter books and if so, what did you think of them?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
About 12 hours, I do a lot of backtracking and people around me keep budding in so I keep rereading paragraphs and pages. Only one stinkin place for peace and quiet! But I can't stay there too long.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Think people are lying?

well i've just timed myself and reading relatively fast it took 1 minute to read a page.
1 minute page X 600 pages = 10 hours
So unless your using speed reading techniques those people who said less than 10 hours are probably making it up.
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm... I'm trying to figure out if someone just called me a liar (which is one of the only ways to irritate me...) Nah. Must have been a misunderstanding on my part.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have two reading speeds.
The first is for basic comprehension of text as for manuals, news and blogging.
For a good story, I slow it down to voice speed as I take time to imagine the characters and their surroundings. In this one I've had the limitation provided by the previous movie visuals. When Harry was in Dumbledore's office, I could see it as it was in the movies, so were all other known places. With well written works, I also go back to phrasing, analytical grammar and word lookup. Time very well spent.
If this book had been news, it would have taken me about the same time as neko.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
10-11 hours here (spread over various days though)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Interesting, yvan. I find that when I'm really in the flow of the story, I speed up my reading considerably. But then, I'm not a visual reader. (When I saw stills from the first movie, it felt strange, not so much because the appearances of the characters were different from my imagined version, but because they had appearances at all.)

I think timing how quickly I read one page would lead to a very inaccurate estimate, because of this "flow" factor. I'd need to time at least a chapter. I also find I speed up toward the end of the book, though I may miss some details or depth as a result. But then, I generally re-read anything I like, and I enjoy it even more the second time, picking up things I didn't really catch on the first read.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Interesting, yvan. I find that when I'm really in the flow of the story, I speed up my reading considerably. But then, I'm not a visual reader. (When I saw stills from the first movie, it felt strange, not so much because the appearances of the characters were different from my imagined version, but because they had appearances at all.)

I think timing how quickly I read one page would lead to a very inaccurate estimate, because of this "flow" factor. I'd need to time at least a chapter. I also find I speed up toward the end of the book, though I may miss some details or depth as a result. But then, I generally re-read anything I like, and I enjoy it even more the second time, picking up things I didn't really catch on the first read.
Yes I agree with the flow rate point. Sometimes there are authors that have a somewhat tiring flow because their wording does not quite fit with your understanding of the language. If I can give an analogy it's like talking with a stranger that usually speaks a different toungue, it gets much more arduous to maintain a decent flow. Even if you're used to different phrasing styles, there are lags. The example you give of going faster towards the end is perfect example. Even though your mastery of communication is examplary, you speed up as you get a more intimate feeling for the style you are reading and also as you get an inkling to what the writer thinks and to what your intuition tells you what (s)he'll say next.
I really like to slow down a story and savor it as I go, appreciating the sights, turns an convolutions brought to the reader/spectator. Plainly, a sunday drive read.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 07-27-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

yvan, I think the point is that we're both enjoying reading. This isn't a race, after all.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Absolutely!