Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #1456
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzi View Post
If you have K3 and Touch (and same content on both), you can maintain collections on K3 and then import them using Amazon mechanisms for that to Touch.
I've thought about this process with my k2, what would be the best way to do this, delete all the collections off of the Touch first or just import over what is already on the Touch?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #1457
SharonK
Enthusiast
SharonK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
There is no problem using Calibre with the Kindle Touch.

The issue is that this plugin ( Kindle Collections) for Calibre does not work with the Touch.

If you've never used the plugin before, then you've got nothing to worry about. Just use Calibre as you've done before and enjoy your new Kindle Touch
Thank you so much for responding to my question.
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #1458
Len666
Enthusiast
Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle 3W
I think I found out why many books on my Kindle didn't end up in the desired collection, my post #1446.

As I am enthousiastically collecting ebooks from various sources, I rather often have doubles and I often delete old files and keep the new ones, depending on quality or metadata.

The ones on my Kindle are still the old files and albeit the same author and title, these aren't exact copies of the newer files in my Calibre database and they are stored under another key. So, the plugin isn't able to locate the desired collection in the database.

So, after deleting the files on my Kindle and re-uploading these books from Calibre, all is well.

I am glad to have this plugin. When you like to have a lot of books on your reader it really saves a lot of time (and irritation).

Thanks, Len.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #1459
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
If you have K3 and Touch (and same content on both), you can maintain collections on K3 and then import them using Amazon mechanisms for that to Touch.
How is this done?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #1460
carryit
carryit
carryit began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
the importing collections to the touch doesnt work for me.... i'm pretty sure that when the collections are synched by amazon from other devices that they dont over-write the old one but simply add any new collections... so when i sync i get a bunch of old collections on my touch...
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #1461
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryit View Post
the importing collections to the touch doesnt work for me.... i'm pretty sure that when the collections are synched by amazon from other devices that they dont over-write the old one but simply add any new collections... so when i sync i get a bunch of old collections on my touch...
Which device are you importing from, I had that problem with the collections from my k2, Amazon's servers were remembering some old unused collections so I switched to importing from my k4pc which had only the recent collections.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #1462
bonzi
Enthusiast
bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2i, K3/KK WiFi, Basic (old), 2xFire, 2xPW (old), Voyage, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I've thought about this process with my k2, what would be the best way to do this, delete all the collections off of the Touch first or just import over what is already on the Touch?
I believe that imported collections are merged with the ones already on the new device, so it depends on the structure you have on your Touch. Also note that only books found on the device at the moment of import will be "collected"; download the books from your archive first, then import collections.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #1463
misterC
misterC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Hi folks,

I just stumbled over one small detail:

Under "Modify Kindle Settings" in the section "Kindle Settings with no known effect" is one checkbox for "Allow reading indicator".

On my kindle 4 (non-touch) this (de-)activates the small triangle over the progressbar which indicates where you started to read.

I just wanted to let you know. Only for the case this is really an unknown effekt. ;-)

Kind Regards
Old 12-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #1464
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
I believe that imported collections are merged with the ones already on the new device, so it depends on the structure you have on your Touch. Also note that only books found on the device at the moment of import will be "collected"; download the books from your archive first, then import collections.
True but what if the collections on the Touch are not the most recent versions, I prefer to delete them to ensure I do not have any books that were moved showing up in the old collection(s). Though I will say this method is not very user-friendly since the pc software has no way of checking for books which aren't in any collections and I am not comfortable yet with the Touch to have come up with a method to use the Touch. I think the best method for me is going to be to use my k2 as a backup and create my collections on there with this plugin and then just import those into the Touch. That way I get accuracy and my favorite plugin, a win-win.

Nyn
Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #1465
jcbigears
jcbigears began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Touch

Hi all.
I realise that this plugin is only maintained by a person or persons that are probably not being paid very well, but I was wondering if you could tell me when it might be compatible with the new Kindle Touch?
Thanks,
John
Old 12-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #1466
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@meme: I suggest you add some info in the first post about why the plugin wont work with the touch and encourage people to contact Amazon about it.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 AM   #1467
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Done, thanks for the suggestion. Not sure it will slow down the requests much though

@jcbigears - the plugin can't be modified to support the Touch unless Amazon rewrites the way they manage collections on it. They changed the way a number of things work for the Touch and unfortunately this included collections. There isn't anything I can change in the plugin to make it work. Perhaps at some point you might be able to manage them after rooting/hacking the device, but there's no guarantee.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #1468
Faw
Faw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch + Kindle PC

I can create collections on K4PC and import to the Touch ok. My question would it be possible to use calibre to sync to K4PC with collections?

Looking around there are 2 SQLite databases in C:\Users\<kindleuser>\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\ Cache\db (sockeye.dat and steelhead.dat). I opened the sockeye.dat file and there are some tables there (collection_v1_0,collection_version,...), maybe it could be possible to sync collections to K4PC using those databases, then just import on touch.

Last edited by Faw; 12-13-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #1469
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faw View Post
I can create collections on K4PC and import to the Touch ok. My question would it be possible to use calibre to sync to K4PC with collections?

Looking around there are 2 SQLite databases in C:\Users\<kindleuser>\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\ Cache\db (sockeye.dat and steelhead.dat). I opened the sockeye.dat file and there are some tables there (collection_v1_0,collection_version,...), maybe it could be possible to sync collections to K4PC using those databases, then just import on touch.
What program did you use to open it??
Old 12-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #1470
Faw
Faw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
What program did you use to open it??
http://sqliteman.com/

The table that has the collections is collection_v1_0 and looks like this:

Code:
CREATE TABLE collection_v1_0( 
  collection_id integer primary key,  -- first value is 1001         
  user_id char(64) not null,          -- encrypted uid+pw? (all have same value)
  name varchar(128) not null,         -- name of collection
  ordinal_number integer not null,    -- position in list/creation order?       
  syncable integer not null,          -- self explanatory
  editable integer not null,          -- self explanatory
  create_ts datetime not null,        -- creation date/time
  update_ts datetime not null,        -- update date/time
  unique (user_id, name)           
)
I see no book information anywhere in the databases though.
Closed Thread