Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
iPod Touch as a reader

Question for you iPod Touch users:

What book formats can you currently read on the iPod? And what reading software? I know Stanza can read epub, but what beyond that? eReader? Is it possible to read Mobipocket?

My wife's interested in getting one primarily as a PDA, but ebooks would be a factor, too.

Thanks.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPocket has said that they will have a reader for the iPhone by the end of the year.

There is a good review of Stanza and eReader on the iPod Touch by Ficbot on teleread.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

eReader has a free reader for the touch/iphone that works very well and allows you to download books directly from your ereader.com online library. Non-DRM Mobipocket files are supported in the application "bookshelf"-- nothing you buy from mobipocket is readable yet but supposedly they are working on their own reader software.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So if you have a library of non-DRM Mobi books on your computer, you can read them, but you can't upload them directly from your computer? It sounded in that review as if you have to upload them to a server, and then download them onto the ipod. Can that be right? I was assuming you could connect via USB to your computer and put anything you want on it.

Also there was a reference to stripping out bold and italic formatting that rang a bell. Is it eReader on the ipod that does that? What about Bookshelf, reading Mobi files? (I'm completely unfamiliar with Bookshelf.)
Old 10-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Jeffrey,
As far as I know, none of the standard ebook ereaders currently supports synching via USB. Stanza, does support wifi sharing. You might have to open a port on your router (depending on how it is locked down), but once it is configured, just enable sharing with the desktop version of Stanza, and then you can share books fairly easily between the iPod version of Stanza and the Desktop version.

Alas, eReader, essentially requires downloading the book via a web server; you can upload to ereader, then download, or you can place your books on a web site somewhere (like your home machine) and then download. Its a little clunky. On the plus side though, any ereader books you already purchased from fictionwise can be downloaded again for free.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My guess is eReader is the top format until Mobipocket is done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Jeffrey,
As far as I know, none of the standard ebook ereaders currently supports synching via USB.
That's...weird. Since the Touch is basically an enhanced iPod (yes?), doesn't it connect to your computer to copy music files from iTunes? If it can do that, I don't see why it would be such a big step to copy ebook files, even just using Windows Explorer.

It does connect to the computer to copy music and video files, doesn't it?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The iPod Touch does not act like a mass storage device so you do need iTunes to move music off and on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
That's...weird. Since the Touch is basically an enhanced iPod (yes?), doesn't it connect to your computer to copy music files from iTunes? If it can do that, I don't see why it would be such a big step to copy ebook files, even just using Windows Explorer.

I think the apps are sandboxed in the OS. They can only access their own personal data. So, you can't just copy an ebook file like you would an MP3 and have some application look at it.

I think Stanza allows your to load books from your PC. You need to install Stanza on your PC also... this runs a web server type service which you can then connect to from your Touch using Stanza.

eReader lets you download stuff from your eReader.com / fictionwise.com on line library. You can add personal ebooks to your library (that you obtained elsewhere) by uploading them from your PC.

As far as formats... of course eReader supports ereader format.

Stanza supports nonDRM Mobi and ePub on the Mac/PC version... I'm not sure what version it supports on the iPhone/Touch but I assume it can convert to a compatible format if the Stanza desktop version can read it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post

This is just a symptom of Apple's paranoia and inability to give up control. They could allow users to upload items directly to the device, but then there would be the possibility that you would load applications that weren't purchased directly from them. (The Horror!) Right now they have the ability to turn off all other bookstores and restrict you to their own bookstore. In any case, it isn't difficult to add books for eReader, Stanza, or Bookshelf.

eReader allows uploads directly to your online library or you can access your books through your local wi-fi network.

Bookshelf uses a java application on the bookshelf web site to load books directly from your computer.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Since there is a section completely devoted to iphone and iTouch devices I am moving this thread.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My guess is eReader is the top format until Mobipocket is done.
I am not sure that Mobipocket will take over even then... If it does, it will be because of Amazon's power to negotiate with publishers. If the numbers keep growing at the pace they are right now, I suspect that most people who want to read on their iphone will have downloaded eReader and Stanza by Christmas. It could make it very hard for Mobipocket to catch up. Certainly, I am not planning on using Mobipocket.. period.

--
Bill
Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
flumbo
I got nothin...

Quote:
I am not sure that Mobipocket will take over even then... If it does, it will be because of Amazon's power to negotiate with publishers. If the numbers keep growing at the pace they are right now, I suspect that most people who want to read on their iphone will have downloaded eReader and Stanza by Christmas. It could make it very hard for Mobipocket to catch up. Certainly, I am not planning on using Mobipocket.. period.
The problem is that Mobipocket often has more new releases than eReader. I have a large library of Mobipocket books from my Palm and Winmo days but can't do anything with them on the iPhone.

There is a huge thread in the mobipocket forums of people begging for an iphone app and nothing but silence from the mobipocket devs. One user left a message claiming that the delay was due to deal for Mobi to be the exclusive/official ebook provider for the iPhone. Nice rumor, I guess...
Old 10-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #14
bill_mchale
Wizard

I am not sure Apple wants to risk the stink that would arise at this point if they turned off the 300,000+ Stanza readers and the 250,000+ eReader readers. I know they reserve the right to remove apps from people's devices, but if they were to do that, and then release Mobi... well, that would probably alienate quite a few customers (yours truly included.. I would dump my iPod Touch and replace it with a palm PDA tomorrow).

I think it would be even harder for them to justify with bookZ and bookshelf, both of which are not free (though not that pricey).

--
Bill
Old 10-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #15
flumbo
I got nothin...

Quote:
I am not sure Apple wants to risk the stink that would arise at this point if they turned off the 300,000+ Stanza readers and the 250,000+ eReader readers. I know they reserve the right to remove apps from people's devices, but if they were to do that, and then release Mobi... well, that would probably alienate quite a few customers (yours truly included.. I would dump my iPod Touch and replace it with a palm PDA tomorrow).

I think it would be even harder for them to justify with bookZ and bookshelf, both of which are not free (though not that pricey).
I imagine that if Apple saw a profitable market in selling ebooks they would just integrate the sales directly into iTunes. This would make it more convenient to load books onto the device and make their store more attractive than eReader or other competitors. Fairly quickly they would dominate the ebooks on iPhone market and their competitors would fade away.

Apple cares about what is good for Apple. Fortunately this often overlaps with what is perceived as good by their customers. I don't think it is likely to happen, but I guess that becoming a mobipocket storefront wouldn't necessarily be a bad deal for Apple. They would have a large library instantly and make money on the partnership without any of the work securing licenses, dealing with publishers, etc.