Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #46
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I just can't imagine never re-reading a favourite book. It would be denying myself the company of an old friend. Sure, there's a lot to be said for making new friends, but not at the price of cutting yourself off from your old ones.
"Make new friends, but keep the old
One is silver and the other, gold."

I also can't imagine never re-reading. About half of my e-book budget goes to buying digital copies of books I have and love in paper.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #47
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
(I'm sorry, avantman)
I've got used to threads going off-topic here. Admittedly, I didn't expect it to go quite so far off topic so quickly, but them's the breaks.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm curious. A question for those who never re-read: do you also never listen to a piece of music more than once? If you do, what's the difference with a book?
It's quite simple really: effort/commitment vs. reward.

Revisiting, and enjoying, a three-minute favorite song requires almost no tangible effort on the part of the listener. It's (nearly) all reward and zero commitment. The music just happens to me. Conversely, I can't really kick back, close my eyes, blank my mind and simply allow the contents of a narrative to wash over my senses. I must hold it, I must move my eyes across it's pages for hours/days—concentrate intensely to comprehend—all to experience a reward I've previously claimed. I'm not saying both experiences can't be worthwhile, only that there's no real comparison between them for me. They use (and tickle) vastly different areas of my brain.

I tend not to re-read because the effort required in the attempt to re-capture the "magic," degrades that magic (for me). I feel my time is much better spent seeking out brand-new literary experiences. Mileage will vary here.

I'm not saying I've never re-read in the past, or that I never will re-read again, but it's going to have to be something pretty special—damn near epiphanic, more likely—to get me to take that long of a break from my usual "Never straight, but ever forward" reading philosophy.

And to answer the OP: yes. Even though I rarely re-read, it's still important to me to religiously strip the drm from, catalog, "shelve," and preserve each and every ebook I purchase. Why, one might ask? Because I'm still evolving. I used to enjoy re-reading when I was young and who knows?... maybe I'll re-acquire a taste for it in my dotage. I'd hate to be caught flat-footed, if so.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-09-2012 at 08:24 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #49
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
If I want to reread a novel, I buy it on hardcover. Ebooks are essentially disposable to me. Ditto video: I rent movies to stream, but if I want to rewatch it I buy the blu-ray or the dvd.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
If I want to reread a novel, I buy it on hardcover. Ebooks are essentially disposable to me. Ditto video: I rent movies to stream, but if I want to rewatch it I buy the blu-ray or the dvd.
You mean you buy the eBook, read it, and then if you want to reread it you buy the hardback? That seems like a very expensive way of doing things; you've already bought the eBook; what's the point of then buying the hardback?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #51
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have a chronic health issue that reduces my reading time and I have so many new books I want to read and not as much time as I'd like for that, so I only very rarely re-read a book. Occasionally I've re-read one I read in high school or something to see if I like it as much now that I'm an adult, or because I don't remember it as well as I'd like to.

I do like the idea of my kids being able to read the books I've read, but honestly I never kept very many books around the house anyway because they take up a lot of space and are clutter. I would have to purchase them again if I didn't have an e-reader, and only have a very slight possibility of having to re-purchase them with an e-reader. I guess I'm willing to take that chance.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #52
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
The reason I re-read some books (paper or e-book) is that I really like their stories (usually it's series).

However, most of the time, when I re-read, I also discover things that I missed on the first or second reading, subtleties about characters, descriptions or language/style, especially on books that have a fast paced and engrossing plot.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #53
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
For those of you who don't reread--do you buy books or get them from the public library? If you buy them, do you keep them? If you keep them, why?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #54
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkobo View Post
The reason I re-read some books (paper or e-book) is that I really like their stories (usually it's series).

However, most of the time, when I re-read, I also discover things that I missed on the first or second reading, subtleties about characters, descriptions or language/style, especially on books that have a fast paced and engrossing plot.
It is amazing the number of things I miss the first time , be it books or Movies
Movies: I wait and buy it on (current format) Disc (LD->DVD->Bluray ) (It is cheaper for two and we get to make and eat our own popcorn )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #55
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I just can't imagine never re-reading a favourite book. It would be denying myself the company of an old friend. Sure, there's a lot to be said for making new friends, but not at the price of cutting yourself off from your old ones.
Excellent post and I could not agree more.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #56
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I'm curious. A question for those who never re-read: do you also never listen to a piece of music more than once? If you do, what's the difference with a book?
Books are harder to dance to.

For me, music is a very different thing than a book. It's experienced differently, in a way that (for me) lends itself to repetition. It's a momentary emotional engagement, rather than the long-haul engagement of books.

I've said this in other re-reading threads, but I'll say it again - I do occasionally re-read, but it's almost always longer tomes with complicated or interweaving storylines (The Stand Uncut, for example) and there has to be a long time in between readings. Otherwise, I will have an uncomfortable deja vu-like feeling while reading. It's not pleasant when that happens. But since there are so many books I've yet to read, I simply find something new instead.

One thing that always baffles me about these threads is that some of those who re-read seem to think there's something odd about those who don't, and vice versa. Life is too short to constantly look for "why what I do is better", folks. I'm not "missing out" by rarely re-reading, and I'm not killing old friends, etc. Those who do re-read aren't "missing out" by revisiting the works they love instead of reading new things. What works for one does not work for all. We each do what we enjoy.

On topic - DRM is a concern because I horde books, and I get them from lots of places. I accumulate them way faster than I can read them, and I want to ensure that I actually CAN read them when I get to them, and read them in the manner I choose.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #57
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash
One thing that always baffles me about these threads is that some of those who re-read seem to think there's something odd about those who don't, and vice versa. Life is too short to constantly look for "why what I do is better", folks.
I did try to avoid that. I think I may have been a bit naive to think I could
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #58
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I did try to avoid that. I think I may have been a bit naive to think I could
It's certainly not your fault. After all, your original question was:

Quote:
So, for those of you that don't care about DRM because you don't re-read books, do the above not matter to you? I'm not saying they should, I'm just curious.
Emphasis mine, because most of us that responded weren't even in the group you were addressing. Just another day on the interwebz.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #59
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
One thing that always baffles me about these threads is that some of those who re-read seem to think there's something odd about those who don't, and vice versa. Life is too short to constantly look for "why what I do is better", folks. I'm not "missing out" by rarely re-reading, and I'm not killing old friends, etc. Those who do re-read aren't "missing out" by revisiting the works they love instead of reading new things. What works for one does not work for all. We each do what we enjoy.
I don't necessarily think my way is better and I don't think life is so short that we're not allowed to question things to try to understand other points of view.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #60
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
For those of you who don't reread--do you buy books or get them from the public library? If you buy them, do you keep them? If you keep them, why?
I keep them because I am an accumulator by nature. I have slimmed down my physical belongings and manage to buy less stuff than I would like to but ebooks, computer software etc. I accumulate and keep. Damn those packrat genes.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote