Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Harry, unless the license is explicitly described as time limited, one naturally assumes that the license doesn't end.
I agree. What I was asking is whether the licence did make any claims about how long it was guaranteed to work for?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #32
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
If you use the full version of Adobe Reader 7.0 you should be able to use it to read your DRM books (assuming you have activated your computer through Adobe's website). DE is not required, but it is often the default reader nowadays for PDF books. You'll need to completely uninstall DE from your computer first and then you should check to make sure the PDF file association is set to Adobe Reader. You can see what Fictionwise says about this here:

http://www.fictionwise.com/help/adobe_reader_help.htm
Nice, I'll have to play around with that. I use Acrobat Reader Pro 7.0 on my personal laptop. I experimented with DE on a government laptop since it's the only one I have with internet access right now. But when I'm back home from deployment, I'll have to experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
What about the people whose PDFs stopped working because they had to reinstall the OS? It's happened. What about people whose PDFs stopped working for no other reason than a year had passed since the sale? That's happened.
It depends what guarantees the the company gives with the files. If someone is supposed to have the capability to do something with a file and it turns out the person does not have such a capability, then it's false advertisement on the company's part. A person might have to go into the terms & agreements to find this stuff, but there's generally something available specifying what you can do with the files. Most cases I hear about get solved through complaints to the company anyway. It would be terrible customer service to say, "Oh, your PDF stopped working? Looks like you're SOL." The only personal experience I have with needing to redownload DRMed material was when I forgot to backup some tracks purchased from iTunes (purchasing from iTunes is very rare for me, but they had exclusive Barenaked Ladies material I felt I had to get my hands on ) when I reformatted my hard drive. One email to Apple and they allowed me to redownload everything I had ever gotten from them, including all the free promotional stuff and the free tracks I got from the codes on Pepsi caps years ago. I know Fictionwise is pretty obvious with what you can and can't do with their files. Typically, I don't purchase anything that I won't be able to strip the DRM off of. As a consumer, this has worked out pretty well for me and has seemingly saved me a world of hurt. However, I've made bad purchases before and as mad as I've been about it, I never blamed the retailer. I'm usually just mad at myself for not doing all the research I should have. Apparently, regret is a powerful learning tool, though. I have to say, past unwise purchases have definitely made me a wiser consumer. I don't take parting with my money lightly.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #33
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Nice, I'll have to play around with that. I use Acrobat Reader Pro 7.0 on my personal laptop. I experimented with DE on a government laptop since it's the only one I have with internet access right now. But when I'm back home from deployment, I'll have to experiment.
I use Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard and it works fine with my DRM books and the books that I check out of the library. But if you've already opened a DRM book in DE, you may not be able to ever open those books in Adobe Acrobat - you may be stuck with DE - I don't know if this latest BETA version of DE addresses that issue.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #34
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
The last DRM PDF book I bought can't be launched in ANY system because Adobe claim that I have too many computers registered - which is utter tripe, because I only have one laptop plus one Palm device. I've somehow got into a situation where the same laptop has been registered several times and Adobe regard it as several different computers. I can now no longer buy an DRM'd PDF books - which pisses me off, as most of the books I want to buy are in Adobe format. We need to persuade publishers to go for a different format, eg E Reader.
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #35
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilC View Post
The last DRM PDF book I bought can't be launched in ANY system because Adobe claim that I have too many computers registered - which is utter tripe, because I only have one laptop plus one Palm device. I've somehow got into a situation where the same laptop has been registered several times and Adobe regard it as several different computers. I can now no longer buy an DRM'd PDF books - which pisses me off, as most of the books I want to buy are in Adobe format. We need to persuade publishers to go for a different format, eg E Reader.
You may be able to get around this by setting up a new .NET Passport account and authorizing your computer under that account. Creating a new .NET Passport account essentially creates a blank slate. I don't know if you'll be able to read the DRM books you already have, but you should be able to read newly purchased DRM books.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2008, 02:08 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilC View Post
We need to persuade publishers to go for a different format, eg E Reader.
Why on Earth would you want to persuade companies to release books in a format which CANNOT be read on any of the current range of eInk devices? E-Reader format is one of the most restrictive formats around in terms of the range of platforms it can be read on. Don't you think it would be more sensible to go for a multi-platform format such as MobiPocket?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:22 AM   #37
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why on Earth would you want to persuade companies to release books in a format which CANNOT be read on any of the current range of eInk devices? E-Reader format is one of the most restrictive formats around in terms of the range of platforms it can be read on. Don't you think it would be more sensible to go for a multi-platform format such as MobiPocket?
It's not that restrictive: the eReader viewer is available for Windows, Mac OS/X, Palm OS, WinCE, Windows Mobile, Symbian, and OQO. It's simply not available for any eInk device.

Agreed that Mobipocket is a better overall choice, though I have hopes that Fictionwise try to extend the range of supported device. A Blackberry client would be nice. Whether it will ever be supported on the Kindle, Sony Reader or Cybook will have more to do with Amazon, Sony, and Bookeen than Fictionwise, I suspect. (I suspect Bookeen would be willing, but Amazon and Sony are another matter.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Let's go for MS Reader, BBeB, Mobi, and eReader and forget PDF. Then we will be all set.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:51 AM   #39
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalbiker View Post
At any rate, their suit would probably would not have merit unless they could demonstrate that they had contracted (expressed or implied) with Adobe that Adobe would provide a certain durability for the product they purchased.
disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. anyways.

umm.... Didn't they?

If I "buy" an "ebook," doesn't that represents a contract? A contract which "implies" I will be able to read said "ebook."

There are "implied" warranties of "fitness for intended use" in the US. I can't imagine any judge would fail to see that an unreadable ebook does not meet the "implied" warranty of "fitness for intended use." What else would be the intended use?

from: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...duct+liability

"Breach of warranty refers to the failure of a seller to fulfill the terms of a promise, claim, or representation made concerning the quality or type of the product."

If Adobe has bugs in their system preventing people from registering books to their computers... and thus said books can't be read, ? why does anyone object to a lawsuit? selling un-readable ebooks is plain theft.

I think small claims court is the wrong way to go though. The better path in the US would be a class-action lawsuit through the attorney general, wouldn't it? Then there's one suit representing all pissed off customers.

I'm really getting sick of companies in the US shitting on customers like this. I'm lied to all the time by big US companies that sell me products that just plain don't do what they're supposed to do. Yeah, there are a lot of nonsense lawsuits in the US... someone sews mcdonalds because they're coffee was hot, etc etc, ... but there are also a lot of lying thieving companies in the US that consumer protection agencies should be doing more to protect us against.
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote