Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
TonyGamble
Groupie
TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Android with e ink please

I can live with slow refresh rates. My cheapo Android has them anyway!

Snag is that it is useless in the sunlight.

Can anyone point me to an Andriod tablet with, say, a 7 inch screen, that uses e ink rather than one of these (in the sunlight anyway) ineffective lit screens?

Tony
London UK
TonyGamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I don't think there are any android tablets that are e-ink. The Sony reader is android, not sure that is what you have in mind.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
TonyGamble
Groupie
TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whilst waiting I have googled around and come across talk about rooting the Sony T1.

Seems this may be a 'route' - pun intended.

Tony
Old 08-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
The sony T1 and the nook uses android. What do you want to read exactly ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
TonyGamble
Groupie

I want to read as many of the book formats as I can.

Naturally I start with Kindle as it has the biggest library.

I gather a lot of other titles come as ePubs.

Am I right in thinking that magazines, if I subscribed to them, would be PDFs?

I realise that internet browsers are sluggish with e-ink but it would be nice to know it was possible to find and download fresh titles if needed.

Tony
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
kidslumber
Children's Author
kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
A new light on an old question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGamble View Post
I can live with slow refresh rates. My cheapo Android has them anyway!

Snag is that it is useless in the sunlight.

Can anyone point me to an Andriod tablet with, say, a 7 inch screen, that uses e ink rather than one of these (in the sunlight anyway) ineffective lit screens?

Tony
London UK
I believe that the Asus Transformer Infinity has backlight adjustment that is more than sufficient to view in daylight - but it is 10" and certainly not cheap.
kidslumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Yes the asus transformer prime and the new tf700 model also can, they have super IPS screens that when in super ips mode they are about 50% brighter than other phone and tablets, but both models ARE more expensive than the first generation transformer and is replacement the tf 300, there are 4 models of transformers, the TF100, TF200,TF300,TF700 only the TF200 and TF700 have the Super IPS screen.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:13 AM   #8
TonyGamble
Groupie

Thanks,

I have looked at those Asus machine specs. I'd be reluctant to pay the cash required without seeing one demonstrated in the sunlight. E-ink I know works.

Tony
Old 08-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #9
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Tony, have a look at the enTourage eDGe sub forum of this one and if you can find a pocket edge (PE) you will end up with the best of both worlds - an e-ink reader and an android tablet combined.

OK, having two screens combined does make it heavier than a single tablet, but what the heck.

I have the larger model (10") and find it ideal for use here in the sun.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
TonyGamble
Groupie

Thanks ivanjt,

I had wondered about that one. I don't think they have found their way to the UK yet - but no doubt someone in the US will be prepared to ship to the UK.

I guess that with the Edge in Android mode one could download books in pretty well any format and convert them into whatever format the e-ink handles best.

Tony

Tony
Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
Quote:
I want to read as many of the book formats as I can.

Naturally I start with Kindle as it has the biggest library.

I gather a lot of other titles come as ePubs.

Am I right in thinking that magazines, if I subscribed to them, would be PDFs?

I realise that internet browsers are sluggish with e-ink but it would be nice to know it was possible to find and download fresh titles if needed.

Tony
I have a rooted Sony Reader PRS-T1, and I can do everything you mentioned, and more. It's great!

However, rooting and modifying the PRS-T1 took quite some time and nerves, and definitely is not for the fainthearted. Some prior experience with Android is recommended. If you're confident, these pages should get you started:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ing_and_Tweaks
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141

The other Android-based e-ink reader that has an active development community is the Nook Simple Touch. It has development forums here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1201

Good luck!
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
TonyGamble
Groupie

altru,

Thanks for that pointer. I must admit that I have no experience of doing anything with Android other than making a small mod to my Toshiba Thrive.

But I guess that is the way I need to go. Maybe if I look I can find a pre-rooted one in the UK.

Tony
Old 08-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The Nook Simple Touch is android. If you root it, you can "dual boot" desktops. I even played Angry Birds on mine. You can get rid of the full screen flashes by changing the screen drivers to use pure black and white instead of grayscale. There is a youtube demo showing Angry Birds with smooth "no flicker" animation on the NST.

The NST runs a rather old version of android, but it is still interesting.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
TonyGamble
Groupie

altru,

I've now had time to read that rooting Wiki.

I've also seen some more complicated ones on the Sony threads but the one you pointed me to requires nothing more than one simple .bat run. Am I missing something but I'd not call this nerve testing? Or maybe it was more complicated when you did it?

Tony
Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #15
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Dear Tony, I think something really big is happening on the background of the markets, so I am waiting
I think your and mine exigencies are really common in the market, but in some ways are ignored. Thousands times better an eink with refresh than...nothing!!! If one wants a portable device THIS IMPLIES should be readable on the sun, otherwise I prefer my 22 inches at home!

I would not encourage you to root the Sony, that is a great device but still if you miss something you are out of guarantee, and you can damage it indeed! this is not fair.

I will wait for a mirasol dispay with Android, whatever it takes. Do you know the mirasol technology? It is with colour, you can read also comics...

I disagree also with the reccomendation you received in this thread, really expensive solutions,hacks, dual screens really old and heavy for a solution that could be available in the market as there are all the potentiality to do.

it is not possible thatwith houndreads of tablets and ereaders with all these models do not offer a color eink with android..... really unaccetable for my view, it is a shame. Mirasol was available but...... the project has been retired, but.... all the models on internet were super soldout and for a bigger price( Clear sign that people love it). Now went out the new prs t2 model from Sony, it is not with colors, but if it it is possible to access to the android market and the hardware is fast, I will buy, otherwise, I will wait if there are not sales, the companies will definetely made mirasol with android available.

Quote:
altru,

I've now had time to read that rooting Wiki.

I've also seen some more complicated ones on the Sony threads but the one you pointed me to requires nothing more than one simple .bat run. Am I missing something but I'd not call this nerve testing? Or maybe it was more complicated when you did it?

Tony

Last edited by trocchietto; 08-20-2012 at 06:36 AM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote