Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
harpangel36
Connoisseur
harpangel36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre won't show my books

I am at a loss! I created a 2nd calibre library. They are both stored in my dropbox folder. One is called Calibre library and the other "My Library". When I open one called the Calibre library it shows no books (even though they ll show in the dropbox folder and I have told it to search there in the welcome wizard). It will show "My library" when I switch libraries in Calibre. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre. But I have no idea how to get my 980 books to show in Calibre without reimporting every book from the dropbox folders back into Calibre.
harpangel36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Did you put the books into both libraries using Calibre? If so the should show up. If not, how did you create the second library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
harpangel36
Connoisseur

Yes I created a new library through Calibre choosing "create an empty library at the new location". I had it point to dropbox where the folder for the new library is stored. It reads the new library fine but will not find the first library. Even though the first library called Calibre Library is there with all the books in it. I tried to create a new library and add the folder with all the books to it, but it still wont recognize it.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should be able to go to the Library icon on the main toolbar and select the switch Library option. This will allow you to navigate to the folder and select the folder holding the other library and switch to it. Once you have done that both libraries should appear on the Quick Switch menu.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
harpangel36
Connoisseur

Yes I have tried that. When I go to switch library and choose that first library it says 0 books. Even though they are in the folder at that location. Is there a way to start over totally? I have tried moving the folder out onto the desktop, creating a new library folder and putting the books back into the folder, but still shows 0 books. Any other way to start over without physically opening every folder and adding them to the Calibre library?
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
harpangel36
Connoisseur

When I try to create an empty library at the new location and point it to the folder with my books in it I get the message calibre, version 0.8.54
ERROR: Not empty: The folder /Users/xxxxx/Dropbox/Calibre Library is not empty. Please choose an empty folder
Old 06-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpangel36 View Post
When I try to create an empty library at the new location and point it to the folder with my books in it I get the message calibre, version 0.8.54
ERROR: Not empty: The folder /Users/xxxxx/Dropbox/Calibre Library is not empty. Please choose an empty folder
The folder you name must either be totally empty or contain a valid Library.

If you point Inside the Library, you will get that message and try and create.

Be absolutely sure to use the USE Existing option of the Create/Switch
If you have set the Library name previously, You might select Remove Library (it only removes the Name from the List) of the INACTIVE (you must be viewing another Library).
Then try again.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
harpangel36
Connoisseur

Does a valid library mean the folders of each of the books? Each floder contains the book, the metadata and the jpg cover.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does a valid library mean the folders of each of the books? Each floder contains the book, the metadata and the jpg cover.
Not quite
The real test is: There is a matching (belongs with/to those books folders) Metadata.db in the parent folder.
The ones IN those folders are metadata backup for that single book.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard

A valid library will consist of folders for each author, and inside those the folders for each book. Also at the top level will be a metadata.db file telling Calbre what books are in the library, and the metadata associated with those books.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
harpangel36
Connoisseur

Oh boy. I'm in trouble because I trashed the main metadata.db thinking that was the problem! Looks like I'll be adding books one by one?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Oh boy. I'm in trouble because I trashed the main metadata.db thinking that was the problem! Looks like I'll be adding books one by one?
OK try this
Make a new (empty Library).
Once made. Exit Calibre.

Copy all those folders into the new Library.
Restart Calibre.
On the Library icon: Right click: Select Library Maintenance : Restore database.

(this will take some time as it reads EACH of those metadata.opf files )
Old 06-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
harpangel36
Connoisseur

That was it!!! Thanks so very much for everyone's help!!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
imstarving
imstarving began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
OK try this
Make a new (empty Library).
Once made. Exit Calibre.

Copy all those folders into the new Library.
Restart Calibre.
On the Library icon: Right click: Select Library Maintenance : Restore database.

(this will take some time as it reads EACH of those metadata.opf files )
this just worked for me too. thanks!
imstarving is offline   Reply With Quote