Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #46
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
And Robert E. Howard, had some outrageously funny western parodies. See the Breckenridge Elkins stories here on MR as well.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #47
Bompa65
Connoisseur
Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thumbs up

The "Bindle" series by Hebert Jenkins.

You have to like British humour.

Reminds me of some of the wives on "Last of the Summer Wine"
Bompa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #48
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I've really enjoyed "The Tent Dwellers" by Albert Bigelow Paine. It's a humorous account of a canoe-camping, trout-fishing trip through Nova Scotia in 1908.

It's very interesting, and laugh out loud funny. The little illustrations are excellent as well. It's free on Amazon.

I reread it occasionally, because it's also a wonderful tribute to a whole generation of men who have since passed on.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #49
layers
layers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
Spike Milligan's war memoirs, starting with "Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall".

/JB
I found Spike Milligan's memoirs funny, and educational (it's so easy to start making his stupid jokes in your everyday life). But it gets a little too sad for me at Mussolini.

Anything else in the style of Spike Milligan? ... and I read 30 pages of the Complete Pratt - not funny at all so far(my brain can't cope with intelligent humor).

Last edited by layers; 10-21-2013 at 10:26 PM.
layers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #50
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Bill Mauldin's _The Brass Ring_.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #51
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I've really enjoyed "The Tent Dwellers" by Albert Bigelow Paine. It's a humorous account of a canoe-camping, trout-fishing trip through Nova Scotia in 1908.

It's very interesting, and laugh out loud funny. The little illustrations are excellent as well. It's free on Amazon.

I reread it occasionally, because it's also a wonderful tribute to a whole generation of men who have since passed on.
I felt the same way about Eric Newby's A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #52
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Mark Leyner's Tetherballs of Bougainville. Just rediscovered his works recently, but as I remember them, his works probably haven't aged well.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #53
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
I'm just going to answer the first question. The funniest thing I've ever read is still "Yes, But Can the Steam Engine Do This?" by Woody Allen. It's a short piece, originally published in The New Yorker, about the Earl of Sandwich's invention of the sandwich. When I read it in Reader's Digest as a teenager, I ran to the computer to type it up so I would have it forever. It was collected in Allen's book Getting Even.
I still laugh till I hurt just thinking about it.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #54
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by layers View Post
Thanks to all above, my bucket list keeps growing.

would it work if I have never read them
Bored of the Rings is somewhat dated. Does anyone younger than 35 remember Good Gulf?

Last edited by BenG; 10-30-2013 at 10:03 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #55
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bompa65 View Post
The "Bindle" series by Hebert Jenkins.

You have to like British humour.

Reminds me of some of the wives on "Last of the Summer Wine"
I always thought if they made a Hobbit TV series it would be "Last of the Summer Wine" all over.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #56
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I felt the same way about Eric Newby's A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush.
It looks great - thanks for the lead!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #57
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
The funniest book I've read in years is The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. A total spoof on history and prominent political figures from pre-WWII to present. It was a 'laugh-out-loud' book for me - probably because I've lived through most of it!
It's available as ebook - I got it from the library.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #58
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Anything by Robert Rankin

Armageddon Trilogy features Elvis & Barry, the time travelling Brussel Sprout
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #59
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I thought this was very funny:

The Evolution Man: Or, How I Ate My Father by Roy Lewis
Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #60
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabana View Post
The funniest book I've read in years is The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. A total spoof on history and prominent political figures from pre-WWII to present. It was a 'laugh-out-loud' book for me - probably because I've lived through most of it!
It's available as ebook - I got it from the library.
I loved this one, also. Sarah Caudwell's books are hilarious. Begin with Thus Was Adonis Murdered. Tom Sharpe is very funny. I also loved Three Men in a Boat and, of course, anything by P.G. Wodehouse. All of these, except Jonasson, are British, but clearly one is not required to be British to enjoy the wit. I therefore take issue with the many BBC podcasts taking a condescending view of the supposed inability of Americans to grasp irony.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote