Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
Has anyone tried pdfs yet?

Hi guys - I'll probably be buying the kobo vox shortly. It certainly looks like a nice ereader/tablet.
I have a question about pdfs - I have a lot of pdf documents that I scanned and I'm not sure how well they would display or even how to load them.

Have you tried them yet? Any info appreciated....
Thanks.
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1959 View Post
Hi guys - I'll probably be buying the kobo vox shortly. It certainly looks like a nice ereader/tablet.
I have a question about pdfs - I have a lot of pdf documents that I scanned and I'm not sure how well they would display or even how to load them.

Have you tried them yet? Any info appreciated....
Thanks.
the color books/cookbooks/travel guides that come with the device are pdf's. they load a bit slowly, but they do display very nicely. both tap and pinch zooming works well on it. you should be able to import your own pdf's into the kobo app (will try that later), but if not, you should be able to find another reader that can handle them in the app store (will also check this later.)
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
They look great, but they do load friggen slow...even once you've opened a .pdf book, you get the the moving circle while each 'section' of the book loads.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Hmmm. What am I missing? When I try "Import Content", it doesn't find any PDFs (even non-DRM) ones, and if I tap on a PDF in DropBox, the list of apps able to open the PDF don't include the Kobo Reader...

Meanwhile, I use RepliGo Reader for PDFs on the Vox. Great pan/pinch-to-zoom/gesture support.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

I've only read .pdfs that were in my Kobo library. I haven't imported any files yet. I need to run out and buy a micro sd and test the file mgmt/import functionality with Astro. That should be fun times!
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
ron1959
Connoisseur

ok -thanks for the info
Old 10-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox
Just tried to import a pdf the same way as I import ePubs (usb connection and then put the files in the KoboPegasus folder) with no luck, anyone know how to do this?
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic

I tried the same thing last night and it didn't work...
Old 10-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

I don't think you can with the kobo app.
Get repligo, I was able to read even my biggest pdf easily.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
I don't think you can with the kobo app.
Get repligo, I was able to read even my biggest pdf easily.
Where can I find repligo? Cant see it in the getjar android market...
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
It's in the Android Market only. Ditto EZPDF Reader. Perfect Viewer with the PDF plugin works fine though. Google RookieStudio. It's free, too.

Also, smaller PDF files look good in 7" if they're not meant for A4 sizes.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
emo_mike
emo_mike began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
I'm considering buying a vox as I've had an ipad and it was just too big. However, the ipad was great at reading pdf files. I've got quite a few pdf's that I'd like to upload, so my question is how laggy are we talking? And not just the native kobo or dropbox app. But if you're reading them from a dedicated pdf app is the experience still laggy?

My dillema is right now between a vox and playbook as both are the size that I'm looking for and both can be found at a reasonable price. Would I be better off getting a playbook or a vox for reading pdfs?

Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
emo_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #13
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

I read big PDF with repligo and it's as smooth as it can get.
repligo is the fastest from what i've read.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

I use the Adobe pdf reader but I will check repligo out.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #15
ron1959
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
I read big PDF with repligo and it's as smooth as it can get.
repligo is the fastest from what i've read.
Well that's really encouraging to hear. I have a lot of pdf documents & books that I scanned myself.
Will the vox display pdfs in landscape mode?
I imagine then there would be just scrolling down rather than across the page..?