Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Jackie7
Enthusiast
Jackie7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
calibre-parallel.exe on WinXP makes working impossible, why not change priority?

Hi,

this has been posted on the bugtracker several times, it has been marked as "fixed" each time, but it is not fixed!

The problem is that the process called calibre-parallel.exe is started multiple times, i assume depending on the CPU cores. Nothing bad about that, but the problem is, that it is always launched in Normal-Priority under Windows XP, which makes working on a compouter while converting 200 ebooks or so completely impossible, at least on my Intel E6600 with 4GB of RAM. Very annoying.

Of course, you can manually set the priority of calibre-parallel.exe in Taskmanager or ProcessExplorer to "Below" or "Idle", but it is reset each time a new job is started.

Why isn't it possible to select a default priority at which this process works in Calibre, thus making working with the computer still possible? Many users seem to have this problem, but unfortunately, the developers don't care, or they don't get the point, I don't know, but it would be really nice if this could be fixed.
Jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you set the job priority to Low under Preferences->Interface->Behavior?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You can control the max number of jobs run at one time as well... Check Preferences | Advanced | Miscellaneous for both max # of jobs to run AND a check box to limit the number to the number of cores..
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie7 View Post
Why isn't it possible to select a default priority at which this process works in Calibre, thus making working with the computer still possible?
Have you set the job priority to Low under Preferences->Interface->Behavior?
itimpi has pointed to the setting that does exactly what you want it to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie7 View Post
Many users seem to have this problem, but unfortunately, the developers don't care, or they don't get the point, I don't know, but it would be really nice if this could be fixed.
I've been using calibre for 2.5 years and as far as I recall that option (at least for Windows) has been part of calibre the entire time. For all of the research you did I'm surprised you didn't come across the many threads that talk about setting the job priority to low.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Jackie7
Enthusiast
Jackie7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks alot for all your hints, it looks like I somehow overlooked the options, after setting the priority to low, everything looks fine now
Jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert