Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #61
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
10. If an app crashes, it doesnt crash the whole system (one up on linux and windows)
I use windows 7, and a program crash does not result in a total system crash. The offending program simply closes and I can just move on, computer still chugging away...

I'll let a linux user speak for themselves as I don't use it.
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #62
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figwit View Post
What's more, thanks to HarryT for providing the information, I can play my old Infocom text adventures on it. Coolness personified.
Text Adventure / Interactive Fiction was part of the reason I chose the Kindle. I realize the keypad may be cumbersome, but it'll probably be the easiest of all of the ereaders currently out there.

I imagine playing IF is a pretty good experience on the Ipad. It'd probably be really swell with a mapper, like GUEmap.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #63
HealyHQ
Friend of a Friend
HealyHQ is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW2112 View Post
I use windows 7, and a program crash does not result in a total system crash. The offending program simply closes and I can just move on, computer still chugging away...

I'll let a linux user speak for themselves as I don't use it.
Linux user here (Ubuntu), and I can safely say, I have never had my entire system crash because of one malfunctioning program. And in fact, the only time I've ever even had a malfunction at all was some random Flash hiccup that crashed the browser. But I just clicked on the Firefox application and it was back up and running again, no problem.

Just goes to show how unreliable Flash can be sometimes. Luckily, I've only had that happen once, and it was quite a while ago.
HealyHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #64
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
10. If an app crashes, it doesnt crash the whole system (one up on linux and windows)
Have you ever used Linux?

Linux offers many choices of distributions, some are ultra stable and some are ultra cutting edge (i.e. not ultra stable). But the popular distros give you a good stable desktop that doesn't crash when (if!) an app crashes.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #65
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
While I won't deny the existence of an "Apple cult", I'm starting to think there is also an "anti-Apple cult".
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #66
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
While I won't deny the existence of an "Apple cult", I'm starting to think there is also an "anti-Apple cult".

Nah, we're just anti-Steve Jobs.....
Old 12-24-2010, 11:09 PM   #67
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I wanted to make sure I got an iPad before they decided to come out with a version with a camera. A camera function would have meant I couldn't carry it to work.
Which is why I have a PRS 350 now. I cannot bring any device with any kind of access to the outside world without bells or whistles will going off.

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 12-24-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Gremlins
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #68
RW2112
Connoisseur

Yep, IT dept techs and bosses kinda frown usually on that....
Old 12-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #69
dapriuk
Enthusiast
dapriuk doesn't litterdapriuk doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Lenovo X61 tablet PC, Advent Vega Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
The real top ten reasons not to buy an iPad:

1. No USB port(s)
2. No SDHC card reader built-in
3. Relies on iTunes
4. No file browser, no copy/paste
5. No Flash
6. Proprietary port instead of mini-USB
7. Can only install apps from one place
8. Way overpriced, Apple TAX in the extreme
9. Glossy screen instead of matte finish
10. Device has to be “authorized” to function
My reasons definitely include 1-7 and 10, but I welcome the iPad pricing if it forces down the price of proper tablets - those that support a stylus and handwriting input on a professional grade environment.

So while it is of no use to me I am happy for the iPad to do well in the market to help improve the products I can use - ie a pen-based not touch-based Windows platform.
dapriuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #70
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I certainly am in that I don't like the way they do business. Over-priced hardware, selling the name and the controlling nature of all their activities such as iTunes and the OS (dating from Apple II days) and as exemplified by the so called walled garden.

I think the hardware such as the iPad is good stuff, but would never purchase it due to the software and corporate restrictions that are part and parcel of it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Have you ever used Linux?

Linux offers many choices of distributions, some are ultra stable and some are ultra cutting edge (i.e. not ultra stable). But the popular distros give you a good stable desktop that doesn't crash when (if!) an app crashes.
Even my Vista system keeps running when one app crashes (which is pretty rare). And when I re-start the app, all is well.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #72
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Which is why I have a PRS 350 now. I cannot bring any device with any kind of access to the outside world without bells or whistles will going off.
I can understand that. A 350 wouldn't work for me, though, because I tend to annotate everything I read. That's why the Kindle is the best reader for me.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #73
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
For me, an iPad is a device that would allow me to do more of a leisure activity I really do not need to do more of, like a portable device that injects cupcakes directly into my mouth.

If I'm away from the computer, I'm away from the computer. I don't even use the internet features on my phone.

It's a cool toy and from what I've seen it's really nicely designed and built. I'd take one if given to me and use it so I could websurf and email without getting off the couch, or out of bed, hence my original point.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #74
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Marking 3, 7, 9, 10 as "annoyance" I think reasons 1, 2, 4, 6 sum it up the best way.
with the latter I can counter every fan's list of things one could do with an ipad, since said reasons allow me to expand the list of things i could not do (and would like to, with a non-single purpose-device) into being damn long.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #75
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
For me, an iPad is a device that would allow me to do more of a leisure activity I really do not need to do more of, like a portable device that injects cupcakes directly into my mouth.

If I'm away from the computer, I'm away from the computer. I don't even use the internet features on my phone.

It's a cool toy and from what I've seen it's really nicely designed and built. I'd take one if given to me and use it so I could websurf and email without getting off the couch, or out of bed, hence my original point.
You wouldn't know where I could buy one of those cupcake injecting devices, would you? That sounds cool as all get-out!

With one of those and a box of Depends®, I wouldn't have to get off the sofa for a week!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-25-2010 at 10:46 AM.