Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
What bugs you

So there you are enjoying a good book and suddenly there it is, A BIG GAFF.

And you thought that the author was such a great writer. How could he put that in his book!!!

One of mine is when someone shoots another, and the person shot is hurled back. Sometimes through a door or a window. The problem with that is physics. Maybe if you had a thick steel plate on and a REAL SLOW cannon ball hit you? Cause if that cannon ball is moving fast - SPLAT.

I just read in my current book where this guy just leans under the dashboard and "hotwires" a car. At least use a safety pin! Hay (big name) author, did you know that the wheel can't turn until the key is turned?

It's easier for me to believe that Scotty can be beamed up.

Any others?
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Ups stuff up :-)

Last edited by Katti's Cat; 05-16-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post

I just read in my current book where this guy just leans under the dashboard and "hotwires" a car. At least use a safety pin! Hay (big name) author, did you know that the wheel can't turn until the key is turned?

It's easier for me to believe that Scotty can be beamed up.

Any others?
Must be an old car he is describing - they didn't need keys and could be hotwired without any help.

I hate mysteries that string me along for hundreds of pages only to be solved on the last page without rhyme nor reason
Old 05-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
So there you are enjoying a good book and suddenly there it is, A BIG GAFF.

And you thought that the author was such a great writer. How could he put that in his book!!!

One of mine is when someone shoots another, and the person shot is hurled back. Sometimes through a door or a window. The problem with that is physics. Maybe if you had a thick steel plate on and a REAL SLOW cannon ball hit you? Cause if that cannon ball is moving fast - SPLAT.
I have seen police video of a ballistics expert propelled backwards through a plate glass wall from the force of the recoil of the shotgun he was testing.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
It bugs me when the word "hay" is used instead of "hey".
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Stop it! You're making me think of TVTropes! And TVTropes has a way of eating away your time...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...nAcrossTheRoom

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...fInverseRecoil

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...dAcrossTheRoom

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...antDeathBullet
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must read books by the worst authors around! No one else notices anomalies in the books they read?

Now I'm not talking about standard conventions like the guy that turns into a werewolf on a full moon. I'm talking about how Superman will grit his teeth as he bends cold steel with his bare hands. And then can stop a locomotive with one hand. Or the guy that knows he has 60 (or 90) seconds to go from one airlock in a total vacuum to another airloch. Like he isn't going to have just a few MORE problems than holding his breath?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
I have seen police video of a ballistics expert propelled backwards through a plate glass wall from the force of the recoil of the shotgun he was testing.
Any video link?

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 05-18-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Quote:
I must read books by the worst authors around! No one else notices anomalies in the books they read?

Now I'm not talking about standard conventions like the guy that turns into a werewolf on a full moon. I'm talking about how Superman will grit his teeth as he bends cold steel with his bare hands. And then can stop a locomotive with one hand. Or the guy that knows he has 60 (or 90) seconds to go from one airlock in a total vacuum to another airloch. Like he isn't going to have just a few MORE problems than holding his breath?
I just call that artistic license and move on with reading. If I worry about all these things how could I concentrate on the big picture. The books would never end.

You are not reading the worst authors - you are just very attentive. Can be a good or bad thing .

I do notice these things sometimes but usually just shrug them off and move on with the story.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:47 AM   #10
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
How about those mysteries that string you along for hundreds of pages and then are not solved at all? I'm thinking of Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg. I felt cheated when I finished that one.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I too dislike mysteries that have 499 pages of red herrings, and then one page wrapups where the murderer is someone who was in three paragraphs on page four.. and there were NO CLUES that would have led to him.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
It bugs me when the word "hay" is used instead of "hey".
Not if you're a horse.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Zetmolm: Yes, I felt totally cheated when reading Smilla's sense of snow too.

Things that bug me off: totally inaccurate physics stuff in science-fiction books, and I'm not talking about artistic licence. One that comes most often is authors confusing acceleration and speed: The ship was accelearating at 10% of the speed of light or something like that. 10% of the speed of light is a speed, and an acceleration is a change of speed!

It won't ruin a book for me though.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #14
SameOldStory
My True Self

There was a TV series in the '70s (?) where they measured time in parsecs.

"It won't ruin a book for me though."

Same here. But I like words. And sometimes how they are used makes me flinch.

Examples -
A plastic cased radio on sale "Titanium Radio". Titanium sounds good, so it must be a good radio.
Grand Opening is supposed to be a special event. Special discounts, food, entertainment. Something of a celebration. Instead it now means - "We're open".
Even the word "special" has lost the meaning of "better than ordinary". It can now mean mentally handicapped or physically disabled.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Any video link?
Nope, it was presented during a panel about real CSI at a con back in 2003 or 4. The only other detail I can provide is that the man making the presentation worked for the US Dept of Wildlife as a forensics scientist. It's possible that in that particular context the gun was for hunting larger game.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote