Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
SciFiGal777
SciFiGal777 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Formerly had Jetbook Lite
Jetbook vs Jetbook Lite vs Aluratek Libre

I'm considering buying an e reader, and I think I've narrowed it down to the three choices above. I'm aware they don't support DRM books yet which is okay, but I might want DRM support for borrowing library books. I'm not sure which of the three is better.

Jetbook - $180 + $6 ish for 2gb sd card. Comes with holiday pack, but I don't really care for the book light. I'd rather have some sort of clip on one than one for my ear. Still trying to decide if I want mp3. How is the sound quality? Is the battery user replaceable? I'd rather not have to send it in if/when the battery fails.

Libre - ~$177 at amazon comes with 2gb sd card which I plan to get anyway. However, I've heard the Jetbook may support some DRM in the future, and I don't know if that's the case for the Libre. Same battery question as above. Also it supports up to 32gb card, where the Jetbook is listed at 2gb card. Will the Jetbook support higher storage later on?

Jetbook Lite - $150 + $6 ish for sd card I'm sure I want to spend 180 when I could spend 150. I feel more comfortable with AA batteries, yet I'm not sure I'd want to take them out to recharge all the time. The Jetbook seems more convenient for charging. Doesn't come with a pouch, no mp3 player support but I'm not sure I want that. Does it support Barnes and Noble books yet?

Thanks
SciFiGal

Last edited by SciFiGal777; 11-23-2009 at 02:46 PM.
SciFiGal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
hamfitz
Enthusiast
hamfitz began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre, sony prs 650, nook
hi i bought an aluratek libre at frys for 149.99. It was on sale a month ago but I just checked the website and now it is 159.99 down from 169.99 So far I really like it but it took awhile to figure out how to remove drm from books so I can read them on it.
I haven't tried it but I've read on these forums that you can basically put the ectaco firmware on it (because they are basically the same device). I think this might be good if you are concerned about possible ectaco drm support in the future. Also I think the aluratek firmware is basically the same as the current ectaco firmware.
I don't think ectaco has drm support yet.
The aluratek brand seems rather generic so I'm not sure if they will be having drm support but its possible. I hope this helps you make a decision. If you look up aluratek in these forums you will learn more about how to reflash it with ectaco firmware and etc.

Last edited by hamfitz; 11-23-2009 at 03:37 PM.
hamfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The libre is the Jetbook. I bought a libre, and then updated it with the latest Jetbook firmware.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Jetbook...Still trying to decide if I want mp3. How is the sound quality?
You know, I've had one for many months, and I've never tried the MP3 player. (note to self... try it sometimes) My music is all on my cell phone.

The battery is apparently a fairly standard one, and (IIRC) there have been disassemblies, so you can buy a battery, open the case, and replace it. I doubt anyone has had one long enough to make that a common event.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-30-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Well, I tried the mp3 player. It didn't suck completely, but you can get a better one in bubble pack at CVS for $20. Since for $49.99, you can get a Sansa Clip+, I doubt the jetBook will get much use. Especially since I have 2 PDAs, a cell phone, and a laptop that can play both .mp3 files and .wma files (which the jetBook doesn't play). In retrospect, the jetBook Lite without the mp3 player and $30 less looks like a good deal.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
Speedy eReader
Speedy eReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch Reader
Hi Jack:

Would you be interested in reviewing the Jetbook for me?
Details if you contact me at ross202@live.ca

Thanks
James
Speedy eReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
NewEgg.com offer jetBook on sale for $159.99 (free shipping, no tax outside of CA)
now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723004

It has 32GB SD card suppport (with new firmware) but it has no DRM support. It comes with a pouch and AC/DC adapter.
If you need DRM and don't need puch I can recommend jetBook-Lite for $149.95
Both models have SD card support and preloaded dictionaries.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
NewEgg.com offer jetBook on sale for $159.99 (free shipping, no tax outside of CA)
now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723004
I see that that's for the white.

Has there ever been a consensus formed regarding whether a white or a black device is easier to read on?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I see that that's for the white.

Has there ever been a consensus formed regarding whether a white or a black device is easier to read on?
I have both - black and white color units. I like Black color more but my wife likes White color jetBook. I didn't find any difference during the reading.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
SciFiGal777
SciFiGal777 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Formerly had Jetbook Lite
I've decided to wait until Black Friday, possibly Cyber Monday to see if I can get a better deal. I also have a few more questions:

I read some reviews on newegg that said the Jetbook got terrible battery life (5 hrs instead of 20) and had to get a replacement. Has anyone here experienced that problem?

What format displays the best on the Jetbook/Jetbook Lite and about how fast does it take to load ebooks?

Will the Jetbook Lite be sold elsewhere besides the main site?

Thanks
SciFiGal
SciFiGal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
I read some reviews on newegg that said the Jetbook got terrible battery life (5 hrs instead of 20) and had to get a replacement. Has anyone here experienced that problem?
I'm on about 10 months now and have no problem with the battery and it definately lasts longer than 5 hours. I've sat reading all rainy weekend day. I haven't measured but my gut is that it'll go about a day and a half of almost non-stop reading before I have to plug it in (so... 15 hours ish.) No problem for me since I need to sleep at some point.

Quote:
What format displays the best on the Jetbook/Jetbook Lite and about how fast does it take to load ebooks?
I like ePub (and I think RTF). I've found other format sometimes have margin/wrapping issues, extra spaces, extra carriage returns, font funkiness (`, " and -- sometimes having issues in translation), or the pain of font size vs. displays size and scrolling. IIRC ePub flows fine every time.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiGal777 View Post
Will the Jetbook Lite be sold elsewhere besides the main site?
I emailed Ectaco Friday asking that question.

He said that newegg was shipped some last week. Also SuperValu stores.

You can also find it on eBay, where the seller will apparently accept a lower offer than $149.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I have both - black and white color units. I like Black color more but my wife likes White color jetBook. I didn't find any difference during the reading.
Thanks, Kris!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I have often put in 5 hours of use in a single afternoon on my Jetbook. Worst I've seen, I was into a series of very good books. I'd charged overnight, read for the next 2 days pretty much nonstop. I was going, "Huh? I just charged it" till I stopped and added up the hours. I was actually closer to 22-23 hours of reading time in those 2 days. (yes I am a kept man, no I don't get out much, Author was David Drake )

Normal for me would be a recharge every 5 - 6 days. Ohh and I've been pounding away at this Jetbook of mine for almost 6 months now. Have taken it everywhere except the bath.

As to format, RTF or plain .txt are what I use most often.
I have a lot of books that I've converted from the .lit format, those I mostly save as rtf.
PDF's I tend to convert to .txt as the pdf's require a page scroll. They really are not formatted for most screens. Rather than scroll up and down every page I just convert to straight txt and avoid the hassle. I really should get a better pdf converter, as my free version does .txt only.

Last edited by GhostHawk; 11-25-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: adding more information
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
NewEgg has the Libre for $137 -- sounds like a great deal.

EDIT: Looks like you'd get:

* eBook Reader PRO
* USB Cable
* Power Charger
* Hand Strap
* Earphones
* Carrying Pouch
* Quick Start Guide
* Warranty & Registration Card

I wonder what the firmware is like. Nate?

Last edited by Kralik; 11-25-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote