Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
sunlight reader mirasol vs pixel qi

Dear all,
I am not asking too much considering the state of the technology,
a recent android tablet or ereader, i can read under the sun( without rooting & possibly with colors would be a pre)
is that possible?
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The Pixel Qi is an advanced version of the display used in the XO/OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) computer (which I have). In sunlight, the color fades to black and white, but the horizontal resolution triples (RGB triplets become visible as individual pixels). The only downside is the shiny screen making the sky and clouds visible unless you adjust the viewing angle to minimize that. I prefer the matte surface of a Kindle eink reader outside.

From watching the mirasol demo videos online, the mirasol displays appear to get washed-out color when viewed off-axis. The current mirasol devices are being discontinued and sold at clearance prices ($87USD ?), mostly due to bad software. Changing the viewing angle to minimize reflected sky and clouds could also detract from the colors due to off-axis viewing.

The new color eink devices suffer from poor contrast and somewhat washed-out colors because they are made of a black and white eink display with an overlayed color filter. The color images are formed of a pattern of dots similar to viewing a comic strip in a newspaper. Because many pixels are NOT white (from the color filter overlay), the overall contrast suffers.

Because all three of these outdoor-viewable color display technologies suffer from different technical difficulties, which one you find least objectionable for your viewing habits is purely a subjective personal preference. You really need to try each of them indoors and outdoors in the sunlight, before making a firm purchasing decision.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The Pixel Qi is an advanced version of the display used in the XO/OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) computer (which I have). In sunlight, the color fades to black and white, but the horizontal resolution triples (RGB triplets become visible as individual pixels). The only downside is the shiny screen making the sky and clouds visible unless you adjust the viewing angle to minimize that. I prefer the matte surface of a Kindle eink reader outside.

From watching the mirasol demo videos online, the mirasol displays appear to get washed-out color when viewed off-axis. The current mirasol devices are being discontinued and sold at clearance prices ($87USD ?), mostly due to bad software. Changing the viewing angle to minimize reflected sky and clouds could also detract from the colors due to off-axis viewing.

The new color eink devices suffer from poor contrast and somewhat washed-out colors because they are made of a black and white eink display with an overlayed color filter. The color images are formed of a pattern of dots similar to viewing a comic strip in a newspaper. Because many pixels are NOT white (from the color filter overlay), the overall contrast suffers.

Because all three of these outdoor-viewable color display technologies suffer from different technical difficulties, which one you find least objectionable for your viewing habits is purely a subjective personal preference. You really need to try each of them indoors and outdoors in the sunlight, before making a firm purchasing decision.
Thank you for your feedback really professionalistic indeed. Honestly I am not convinced because mirasol ereader are sold on internet for a bigger price, please if you now where I can buy a cheap one as you mention I will be happy to buy one on line.

My point is that the eink technology despite does not have glare is not with colors, I would be really happy to read on one of that devices with android as the price and the battery look quite impressive.

I understand your point, but still milion of people cannot read ....outside...for a portable a light hardware as tablets and ereader is no sense, so I would definetely buy one, my fears is that could be, but is just an hypothesis, some major brand is doing some contract with the suppliers of pixel qi or mirasol while they are developing something better!
in marketing terms a lot of people would buy cheap, durable color readers, also if the quality and the incidence angle of the light is not perfect, as the alternative looks...nothing.

I mean after all, I am asking for an affordable android model (with the android market) I can read outside with color, is not too much and your reply implies in someways that there is nothing at the moment in the market, we are not speaking about a niche, but milion of people.....

Last edited by trocchietto; 07-24-2012 at 01:32 PM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
Thank you for your feedback really professionalistic indeed. Honestly I am not convinced because mirasol ereader are sold on internet for a bigger price, please if you now where I can buy a cheap one as you mention I will be happy to buy one on line.
If you go up a page in this forum, you will find a thread titled: "FLASH! Kyobo Mirasol ereader discontinued". Here is a direct link to that thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183963

And here are the purchasing instructions:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...#comment-47902

It has links to the korean kyobo mirasol reader that is clearance priced for about $87USD (and instructions how to purchase from the korean web pages).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-24-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If you go up a page in this forum, you will find a thread titled: "FLASH! Kyobo Mirasol ereader discontinued". Here is a direct link to that thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183963

And here are the purchasing instructions:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...#comment-47902

It has links to the korean kyobo mirasol reader that is clearance priced for about $87USD (and instructions how to purchase from the korean web pages).
Sold out for almost 10 days by now. After they dropped the price to 99,000 Won the readers were gone in a few days.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Sold out for almost 10 days by now. After they dropped the price to 99,000 Won the readers were gone in a few days.
Thanks for the update. The ebay price will probably be significanly higher than that clearance price.