Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
epub3 and kf8: What happened to the "book" in e-book?

So epub3 and Kindle Format 8 are out, and are supposed to be the future of ebooks. As a Bookeen/iPad/Linux user, I don't own a Kindle or any Kindle-reading software, so I haven't seen anything in KF8 format. However, a week or so ago I downloaded Azardi 7 and InfoGrid Pacific's three sample epub3 ebooks.

My initial reaction -- to be very impressed with the flash and dazzle of the, well, flash and dazzle -- was quickly replaced with something more visceral. Under whose rules is this a "book"? I really felt like I was browsing a Flash-laden website, long on animated sprites, fly-out text and interactivity up the wazoo, but conspicuously short on "book".

At what point does a book cease to be a "book" and transmogrify into a multimedia presentation? From embedded video, to read-aloud features, to sprite animation, will the next Stephen King offering be a novel, a Hollywood-mogul-directed feature-length cinematic event, or full-fledged computer game?

So what do you think? Is the future of books not books at all?
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
DEAD HORSE THREAD ALERT.

Can we just cut to the point where half the posters point out that flash-and-dazzle can be highly convenient for specialty/minority needs and the other half can ironically yell Get Off My Lawn?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think I see the fnords.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I learned a new word!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
I'm pining for the fnords. / Norwegian Blue Illuminati
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I got an award. For Norway.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I guess the point is that a technology which permits such things as embedded audio and video allows people to create "enhanced" eBooks where the enhancements add value. I can certainly see the value, for example, of video clips in travel books, or of audio clips in a book on bird identification. Most books don't benefit from such things, but it's nice to have it there when it does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I guess the point is that a technology which permits such things as embedded audio and video allows people to create "enhanced" eBooks where the enhancements add value. I can certainly see the value, for example, of video clips in travel books, or of audio clips in a book on bird identification. Most books don't benefit from such things, but it's nice to have it there when it does.
That... and I don't believe my favorites authors are going to be tied down and forced to include audio/video in their works, just because the tech makes it possible.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
I don't believe my favorites authors are going to be tied down and forced to include audio/video in their works, just because the tech makes it possible.
You'd think, wouldn't you?

Just wait till Macmillan 'encourages' Mieville to include little snippets in his ebooks so they can justify hiking prices.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post

Just wait till Macmillan 'encourages' Mieville to include little snippets in his ebooks so they can justify hiking prices.
For Mieville it may be worth it.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post

Sure, enhanced versions will be available for a higher price—we have that now. But they exist alongside the normal version. I really don't see text-only ebooks going the way of the dodo anytime soon, regardless of the technology.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-21-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Haven't we figured out yet that this always happens with new technology?

The first round or three of epub3/kf8 books will have all of this "look at me!" flashy stuff because they can, just like the first (modern) 3D movies all had to have at least one "It's coming right at us!" scene to show off their 3D-ness, the first CD-ROM computer apps and games all had to have full-motion video, etc.

Just wait it out. The novelty will wear off, publishers will stop trying to embed videos, animations, games, whatever, and in the end we'll have better looking books thanks to the improved layout capabilities of the new formats.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
That... and I don't believe my favorites authors are going to be tied down and forced to include audio/video in their works, just because the tech makes it possible.
Mercedes Lackey: No! NOOOOO! No, Tor, I don't want to include an audio teaser of my tie-in filk songs with the next book! STOP MAKING ME RICH AND POPULAR!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I woner, is someone obsessively interested in Norwegian geographical features a fnerd ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
This posts in this thread have strayed far from the OP's original question. Please refrain from making off-topic posts.

Thank you.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote