Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #61
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please show me a link that shows what libraries it is available from. I cannot see it as being available. A search at Overdrive show it as an eBook and an audiobook, but not actually available at any library,
You're right, sorry. I it listed on Overdrive and assumed it was available.

It's still a widely praised and awarded book and not that expensive in the context of recent non-fiction ebooks, but I know that people have varying tolerances, especially if a book is not their usual thing. Shame that Kobo no longer sells it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You're right, sorry. I it listed on Overdrive and assumed it was available.

It's still a widely praised and awarded book and not that expensive in the context of recent non-fiction ebooks, but I know that people have varying tolerances, especially if a book is not their usual thing. Shame that Kobo no longer sells it.
It is a shame. It could have been gotten for about 40% less if the code still works. The problem is that it's expensive at some shops. More then I'm willing to pay for an unknown book by an unknown author (unknown to me).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #63
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Kindle price of $13.68 is too much for me to think I'd ever read Sh*t My Dad Says.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The Kindle price of $13.68 is too much for me to think I'd ever read Sh*t My Dad Says.
I'm seeing it for $10.99 from Amazon, Kobo, & Sony.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-23-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #65
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't live in the US and I can't read epub. It's illegal in my country to strip DRM, even to move among devices now.
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #66
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Didn't notice the Anne Frank nomintion until now!
I'll third "The Diary of a young girl"
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #67
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
...It's illegal in my country to strip DRM, even to move among devices now.
Stupid freaking law.

Quote:
.....Men in general are so constituted that there is nothing they will endure with so little patience as that views which they believe to be true should be counted crimes against the laws.... Under such circumstances they do not think it disgraceful, but most honorable, to hold the laws in abhorrence, and to refrain from no action against the government.... Laws which can be broken without any wrong to one's neighbor are counted but a laughing stock; and so far from such laws restraining the appetites and lusts of mankind, they rather strengthen them. Nitimur in vetitum semper, cupimusque negata ["We always resist prohibitions, and yearn for what is denied us."].
..........— Baruch Spinoza (1623-1677), Dutch philosopher. Tractatus Politicus, ch. 10.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-23-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Add italics to Latin phrase.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #68
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...if that gets to stay, then I'd like to nominate the Bible, The Jewish Bible (old testament) by God.
Done. And that's your final nomination vote.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Done. And that's your final nomination vote.
But are you sure that it really is non-fiction?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #70
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

For purposes of the Book Club, I don't judge. It's your nomination.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #71
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I was quickly checking any recent nominations in the first two list posts and I saw

Quote:
* Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures—The New JPS Translation According to the Traditional Hebrew Text by Various Authors [JSWolf]
and I was like

and then I read the pertinent posts and I was like

I wish I had another nomination so I could second it!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #72
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll second Into Africa.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
For purposes of the Book Club, I don't judge. It's your nomination.
It's not a matter of judging, it's a matter of if it fits the category for the month.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #74
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I thought it was decided that nominations are each individual forumers responsibility and the nomination process (seconded and then passed) as well as the vote should eliminate any dubious suggestions.

I could nominate The Bible for the humour month, but I doubt that would go over well. It's also a romance, potentially non-fiction, potentially science fiction, maybe fantasy, a bit of horror, thriller and most definitely fits the open and classics months.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #75
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Jon, I didn't think your other nomination fit but I allowed it. As HIMS suggested, let the voting booth decide what is or isn't suitable for non-fiction. Saves a lot of needless debate.