Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs505
Brave New World - Aldous Leonard Huxley

I am still a neophyte at creating books for the PRS505. I have done some experimentation with BookDesigner - but as a Mac person I found it a bit on the cumbersome side and it did not always do what I expected it to do. In fact I never did get the linking of chapters to work in the manner I would have expect - namely whilst I got a perfectly usable TOC for the PRS505 I never got to the point where the lines in the "Contents" page worked at all. I follow the direction in the tutorial uploaded by Harry T. And it just did not want to work.

Moreover I wanted to do all of the editing on the Mac side and then create the final file with libprs500. My first approach was to break the file into seperate HTML files for each chapter and title page and to then create an index page with links to the individual files. I then imported the files into a PDF file wiht Adobe Acrobat and fed it to libprs500. This gave me a basic good file and using the imported file bookmarks in Acrobat I was able to get a pretty good TOC. But some of the text was not formatted to my liking.

I took another look at the ouput file from BookDesigner and noticed that it was nothing more than an HTML file generated from Microsoft Office. So I decided to edit file in Adobe Go Live creating the necessary links to the chapters for a TOC. This file looked quite reasonable when converted to ,lrf with llibprs500 with the exception that there was no real break between chapters. Sooo...... I opened the file with Micrsoft Word and put section breaks between the title page, contents page and the various chapters. The resulting book is in the attachment. It is pretty attractive, at least I think so and it was created enirely i the Mac enviroment.

My research shows that Brave New World is in the public domain in the US. I live in Arkansas so it is my belief that I can upload the file. if the forum monitors believe otherwise they may delete the file and write it off as the result of ignorance.
Deputy-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I removed the ebook because it is still in copyright. It was published in 1932 and Huxley died in 1963. Only public domain books, those that have fallen out of copyright, or those specifically granted permission may be posted.

The US copyright will terminate 01 Sept 08.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs505
Were do you find this information? Did a google search on the search string:

"Brave New World" copyright

And turn up nothing.

This is embarrassing as I am know two for two. There must be a source that can be trusted. All I have found is:

"The copyright on this work has since expired, and since no renewals have been found at the U.S. Copyright Office, it is in the public domain in the United States."

Which was associated with the source file I used. I would rather not like to cause any more trouble.(eg the question is genuine)
Deputy-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
When it comes to copyright, it's best to err on the side of extreme caution. If it's not on Project Gutenberg, I don't touch it.

A good rule of thumb, if you feel adventurous, is to not touch anything between 1923 and 1950. Before 1923 nothing is still in copyright, and after 1950 records can be found online at www.copyright.gov.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is the search from the Copyright Office.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BraveNewWorldCopyright.pdf (43.5 KB, 1780 views)
Advert
Old 12-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Cori
Book freak
Cori began at the beginning.

Note: IANAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I removed the ebook because it is still in copyright. It was published in 1932 and Huxley died in 1963. Only public domain books, those that have fallen out of copyright, or those specifically granted permission may be posted.

Could you explain this..? By my understanding, the copyright for this one ends in the US 95 years after first publication, which'd be 1st Jan 2028 (the start of the next year after lapse.) No books at all come into the public domain in the US before 2018 ... all that can be worked with is stuff that's already there (pre '23 publications, and books first published in the US, between '23 and '78 which weren't copyright-renewed as required by the law at the time.) Or works that people enter into the public domain voluntarily, as you say.

UK copyright ends 1st Jan 2034. Arrrgh, it's a long wait.
Cori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
Cori
Book freak
Cori began at the beginning.

Of course, it helps if I READ the attachment before posting.

The termination referred to isn't the end of copyright ... it's about a transfer of copyright. http://law.justia.com/us/codes/title17/17usc203.html explains it in legal terms, but my brain's not taking it in this evening.
Upon the effective date of termination,
all rights under this title that were covered by the terminated grants
revert to the author, authors, and other persons owning termination
interests under clauses (1) and (2) of subsection (a), including those
owners who did not join in signing the notice of termination under
clause (4) of subsection (a), but with the following limitations...

If someone could explain, I'd appreciate it, since it looks like the sort of thing I need to know...
Cori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer

I'm still confused by a lot of the US copyright law. This is one area where educated minds disagree -- and with good reason, it is a complex area in the best of times and a minefield most of the time.

Most of the world operates on a life plus 70 for copyright and a few line Australia and Canada have life plus 50. Some have never signed the treaty while others have signed but never enforce it.

If we err, we would rather err on the side of caution. We do not want to have copyright infringing materials posted.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori View Post
Could you explain this..? By my understanding, the copyright for this one ends in the US 95 years after first publication, which'd be 1st Jan 2028 (the start of the next year after lapse.) No books at all come into the public domain in the US before 2018 ... all that can be worked with is stuff that's already there (pre '23 publications, and books first published in the US, between '23 and '78 which weren't copyright-renewed as required by the law at the time.)
I am not a lawyer, but this is my understanding:
Under the 1978 US Copyright law, works which were in their renewal term were granted a total length of 75 years from year of publication. Works which were in their first copyright term were granted life-plus-50. Both of those terms had 20 years added on under the Sonny Bono act (nicknamed the Mickey Mouse act since Disney corporation had such a huge lobbying role in getting the terms extended). So only works which were copyrighted between 1923 and 1950 (inclusive) were changed to fixed-length terms, and anything copyrighted in 1951 or later were converted to life-plus-x terms.

In any event, unless the copyright owner specifically places something in the public domain in the U.S., the next time anything will enter the public domain will be 2018, when the 1923 works with the 95-year terms will have their copyrights expire.

But of course by then the U.S. Congress (the best money can buy!) will have extended the copyright terms again and I bet we'll be able to kiss any new additions to the public domain by expiration of copyright goodbye!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Moved because it does not contain an actual book any longer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm still confused by a lot of the US copyright law. This is one area where educated minds disagree -- and with good reason, it is a complex area in the best of times and a minefield most of the time.

Most of the world operates on a life plus 70 for copyright and a few line Australia and Canada have life plus 50. Some have never signed the treaty while others have signed but never enforce it.
Actually Australia has "life + 70" too these days. They USED to have "life + 50", and those books which entered the public domain under that law remain in the public domain, but it now has "life + 70" like most other countries do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
sunlioness
Enthusiast
sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS - 350
Quote:
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I have to ask, has Brave New World entered public domain yet?
sunlioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlioness View Post
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I have to ask, has Brave New World entered public domain yet?
It is in Canada! (God bless my former homeland!)
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
It is in Canada! (God bless my former homeland!)
No, I don't believe so. Huxley died in 1963, so the book will enter the public domain in "Life+50" countries such as Canada on 1st Jan 2014.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I don't believe so. Huxley died in 1963, so the book will enter the public domain in "Life+50" countries such as Canada on 1st Jan 2014.
www.archive.org has a copy uploaded. Isn't everything there public domain?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote