Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
draconic
draconic began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question Quotes, apostrophes, what a pain.

I have a book I'm trying to convert from mobi to epub - but in both formats, original and converted, all the quotes and apostrophes and other such items are there and visible when the epub is exploded and viewed in HTML, but they're formatted like:

-----
|00|
|93|
-----

..for quotes, and 92 for apostrophes, etc. On the nook, they just show up as question marks.

Is there any way to tell Calibre what kind of encoding this uses and to replace number x with quotes, y with apostrophes, etc?

Thank you for the wonderful program and all the help. I apologize if this has been asked before, but searching for the specific character above in question just results in me searching for an open quote.

edit: i'd be happy to post the epub here, but i'm not sure how this forum feels about copyright issues, etc. let me know!

edit2: after exploding and viewing the epub in html, in notepad, the symbols aren't visible. in wordpad, they're all sorts of crazy. in dreamweaver, they're invisible. but in firefox, they're like those numbers above.

Last edited by draconic; 06-19-2011 at 06:43 PM.
draconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by draconic View Post
I have a book I'm trying to convert from mobi to epub - but in both formats, original and converted, all the quotes and apostrophes and other such items are there and visible when the epub is exploded and viewed in HTML, but they're formatted like:

-----
|00|
|93|
-----

..for quotes, and 92 for apostrophes, etc. On the nook, they just show up as question marks.

Is there any way to tell Calibre what kind of encoding this uses and to replace number x with quotes, y with apostrophes, etc?

Thank you for the wonderful program and all the help. I apologize if this has been asked before, but searching for the specific character above in question just results in me searching for an open quote.

edit: i'd be happy to post the epub here, but i'm not sure how this forum feels about copyright issues, etc. let me know!
to MR

On Conversion Screen: Look and Feel: Character encoding: try cp1252

to set it as default:
Preferences: Common Options: Look and Feel: Character Encoding
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
draconic
draconic began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
to MR

On Conversion Screen: Look and Feel: Character encoding: try cp1252

to set it as default:
Preferences: Common Options: Look and Feel: Character Encoding
tried it, cp1252 didn't work. tried utf-8 too just for the hell of it - same strange number characters are in the exploded HTML still.

edit: not sure why cp1252 didn't work - looking at the table for it 00,93 link up to open quotes, etc. so why isn't it converting correctly?

HOT DAMN - i got it working. on a whim, i converted from mobi to lit with cp1252 - then from lit to epub without cp1252, and it's formatted correctly! AWESOME. thank you so much!

Last edited by draconic; 06-19-2011 at 07:08 PM.
draconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Thats a couple of times, when reading this forum, that problems have been helped by converting to one format, and back to another, before the final convert to the one you want. Glad you got it sorted.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I just added a book to Calibre that had one of these formatting flaws, did a convert from ePub to ePub with the cp1252 and ... it worked! Formatting errors are gone.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote