Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
awx
Connoisseur
awx is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650 & PRS-600
ePubHub, an open-source eBook assembly app for Windows

I'd like to introduce ePubHub, an open source program that I've been working on for several months. It is written in .Net but only runs on Windows. There is no Linux or Mac OS X support because the cross-platform .Net runtime Mono doesn't support Wpf.

Download the installer:
setup.exe

To get started using ePubHub, right click on the eBook or Metadata icon and Add any of the available items from the menu.

My goal for ePubHub was for it to be an ePub assembly tool - the last part of an ebook workflow. I wanted it to be a very technical program, giving access to the fundamental parts of the ePub format while also working in a language that is familiar to books (chapters, paragraphs, etc.).

Here's a screenshot of the current development build:

This is a preview release that is far from complete. There are a number of limitations, including:
  • The Open/Save feature does not work (exporting to ePub works).
  • Only .jpg images are supported.
  • Audio not implemented yet.
  • A few of the eBook item types are not implemented and will appear to crash if you try to export them into an ePub file. Do not use the Notes, Sidebar or Endnote controls.
  • A few of the eBook items are rendered incorrectly and will cause the ePub file to be invalid. Do not use the Underline control.
  • The source code will throw unhandled exceptions in a few places (mostly when using the unimplemented controls such as Sidebar). These will appear to crash the program if you do not have a debugger installed. These issues are known and will be addressed in due course.

Note: Do not worry if you see an item whose icon is an image of an exclamation point inside a red circle. This does not indicate an error. It's simply a placeholder icon being used until a better icon can be found.

Source code is available at the Sourceforge website, on this page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/epubhub/

Please give feedback on this preview release.

Thanks,
Art

Last edited by awx; 12-27-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: new image
awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Looks interesting. Unfortunately, there isn't anything to download in the files section .
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
awx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Looks interesting. Unfortunately, there isn't anything to download in the files section .
Read the 1st post again. Here's the link for the installer again:
http://epubhub.sourceforge.net/clickonce/publish.htm
Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by awx View Post
Read the 1st post again. Here's the link for the installer again:
http://epubhub.sourceforge.net/clickonce/publish.htm
ClickOnce doesn't work in FireFox (at least not with my security settings). Finally managed to get it to install with IE, but a simple downloadable installer would be simpler.

Is there any way to import xhtml that's already been prepared, or is that still in development? I managed to create a few empty pages and paragraphs, but that's about it. Are there any plans to allow touch-up editing on the content?

BTW, I see you allow <a> tags to have both an 'id' and 'name' attribute - this should be fixed, as the name attribute is deprecated on <a> tags in xhtml.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
awx
Connoisseur

There is a ClickOnce extension for FireFox and a plugin for IE. If you have those disabled then you can download the ClickOnce setup.exe file:
http://epubhub.sourceforge.net/clickonce/setup.exe
This .exe is the same file that non-FF/IE users will receive when they go to the ClickOnce page.

BTW, once there is a release that could be deemed relatively stable and feature complete, I'll post a .zip in the Sourceforge file releases.

I changed the anchors to use id instead of name. You'll get an automatic update of the program after you've launched it twice. Thanks for pointing this out and please look for more errors like this.

The import feature is at the #2 spot on my to-do list. First is to add support for Css stylesheets, which I hope to complete or at least start today. Importing probably won't get started until next weekend.

Touch-up editing of imported text & html should work without any restrictions. There certainly needs to be better editing tools added to ePubHub.

Last edited by awx; 02-23-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Too many hoops to jump through to get it downloaded. Sorry. I may try it once you have the downloading/install process fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I'm sorry too, but agree with JSWolf. I really don't like the download format either, but I'll be happy to try it when I can download and run a true install program though!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
awx
Connoisseur

This setup.exe won't work for you?

If it doesn't work, tell me what happens and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by awx; 02-25-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #9
blak4dr
Zealot
blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 623, Kobo Glo HD, Aura One,Aura H2O2
setup works well.

Still too early at this stage to give an elaborated opinion. Looks good though. But I agree hat importing chapter files already prepared would be a plus.
blak4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
awx
Connoisseur

Thanks for the feedback on the setup.exe.

I'll start working on importing text/html today as that seems to be the most pressing requirement.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
This looks like a cool project. I was considering writing something like this myself, but never really got to it. I'll be sure to check it out soon. Perhaps there's something I can help out with. =) (Though I'm only a hobbyist programmer.)
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #12
awx
Connoisseur

I've pushed out a new test version that implements a rudimentary Xhtml Import function. The file is currently not validated against any Xhtml dtd but it must be valid xml with the Xhtml default namespace (i.e. <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">).

As always, the autoupdater will offer to download the newest version the 2nd time you launch it after the update is published.

Only a small subset of tags will be imported (div, span, p, h1-6, b, i, img). Any other tags and their contents will be ignored. All attributes (class, style, etc.) are currently ignored except on the img tag.

Imported img tags should also create an empty Image in the Images folder with the correct file name. But you would still have to import the corresponding .jpg file for this to be useful.

Please try importing a few of your Xhtml documents and let me know if they come through.

Right now all imported items are dumped in a generic page. There isn't any convenient way to move these in bulk to another page or chapter. I'll be working on that next.

@quillaja: thanks for checking this out. If you'd like to help, there are plently of programming and non-programming tasks that need to be done. Feel free to PM me through this board if you have time to help.

Last edited by awx; 03-03-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Downloaded the version with the setup link you provided here. Still, I would have much more liked a downloadable version from sourceforge...

First impression is good for a first version. Could you please indicate if bug reports or feature requests could be best placed here or on sourceforge?

I have a few that came up before really testing:
1. Language metadata is currently restricted to English, German, French and Swedish. Since there are more languages , could you please either add them (for me personally dutch) or tell us how to add them ourselves?
2. Cover page, is this just an image or via svg?
3. import of an epub to make quick edits?
4. Save in-between work?

Perhaps some more will come up.

Since this is a nice tool (at least it looks like it), could someone make this thread a sticky?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
How do you download the program?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by awx View Post
This setup.exe won't work for you?

If it doesn't work, tell me what happens and I'll see what I can do.
The link is mentioned earlier in the thread.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote