Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #1606
andy88
Enthusiast
andy88 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Sure. Can you send me an email about it?
@Kris,

Thanks for your reply. What's your email add ?
Old 06-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #1607
CtB
CtB began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Re-storing MRV file into my blank book

Quote:
Exactly. The highlights and notes are "extra" metadata in calibre.

Neither the plugin not Marvin ever modify the EPUB file (this is by design). To reimport your *.mrv files into a book in Marvin, send that mrv file to yourself by email, open it in Marvin and Marvin will add the highlights, notes and whatnot to the book. Note that *.mrvi files cannot be imported in Marvin. .mrvi is just for export (for now).

Just send them as an attachment and "open in" Marvin (remember you can only do this for .mrv not .mrvi).

Yes. I made a note of this.
Kristian,
Mystery solved. I usually use GMail; it does not allow you to proceed to Marvin [you click on the attachment and it offers you to open in Chrome, etc.]. HOWEVER, this worked perfect in Apple Mail [that comes on the iPad]. Clicked on the attachment, it said "loading" for a while [long time, actually], so I clicked on the arrow on the top right and "boom" put me right into import into my book in Marvin (to merge or replace my current annotation file of the same blank book).
Reopened the book and all my highlights/bookmark were BACK. This is AWESOME - what a time saver, productivity tool, and safety net. I assume that my friend will also be able to repeat on his copy when I email him the MRV file and then he will have "my" highlights/bookmarks in his copy of the EPUB / Marvin book. He can skim in 1/10th the time and focus on what I want him to focus on.

Kristian - you are ACES in my book!!!!!!
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #1608
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@CtB - glad you managed to make it work. Could I ask how many highlights you had in the file? I'm curious as to why it took a long time to import.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #1609
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
On my iPad 2 Marvin (most recent versions) crashes out at the end of creating a Deep View Index. On returning to the app, the Index appears to have been created correctly, so it isn't fatal. Just a FYI really!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #1610
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Christopher. Could you force-quit Marvin, go to iPad settings, turn diagnostics mode on, launch Marvin and send me the email? It will help me track down the issue.
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #1611
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Kris
I shall do that, though of course, it's stubbornly refusing to misbehave now!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #1612
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Exactly. The highlights and notes are "extra" metadata in calibre.

Neither the plugin not Marvin ever modify the EPUB file (this is by design). To reimport your *.mrv files into a book in Marvin, send that mrv file to yourself by email, open it in Marvin and Marvin will add the highlights, notes and whatnot to the book. Note that *.mrvi files cannot be imported in Marvin. .mrvi is just for export (for now).

Just send them as an attachment and "open in" Marvin (remember you can only do this for .mrv not .mrvi).

Yes. I made a note of this.
I am confused now. I have a bunch of books that were put on Marvin earlier. I have highlights/ annotates/ bookmarks on them.

Now, I realized some of my library & books are inaccurate and need a fresh cleanse with metadata.

How do I export and save the H/ A/ B so that I can reimport and MAP them to books?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #1613
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@crashnburn:
If you see a green checkmark in the 'On Device' column, you can safely update metadata on that book without losing any assets.

For clarification, see the Help file in the Marvin Options tab of the configuration dialog.

G
Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #1614
CtB

Kris,
It was not Marvin [I think] that took time. I clicked on the MRV attachment in iMail; then it went to a page that said "Loading ..." for a while. I got curious and clicked on a "share" [arrow] icon on the "Loading..." page and it immediately took me to Marvin, gave me the import dialog box [quickly] and I selected Merge and it quickly did that. The Marvin part was maybe 10 sec; it was the getting there from iMail that was not immediate [without clicking the extra button on the "Loading..." page.

Thanks again,
CtB
Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #1615
kguil
Addict

@CtB - ah yes. Mail does that to me too. Ignore the "loading" page. It would have already loaded it.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #1616
kguil
Addict

Heads up: Marvin will not work on iOS 7 beta. Of course it will by the time 7 is made public (actually, before that).
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #1617
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
not sure if I should post this here but...
new version (3.5) of ABBY Lingvo appears to change URL Scheme used for calling by external apps
Marvin's default "abby.lingvo://{define}" is no longer works
their new scheme is at http://www.abbyy.com/lingvo_ios/developers/
after I corrected Lingvo button in Marvin to abby.lingvo://show_word/{define} it works again
Old 06-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #1618
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Heads up: Marvin will not work on iOS 7 beta. Of course it will by the time 7 is made public (actually, before that).
A very good reason not up update to the beta version! Thanks for the heads up Chris!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #1619
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013)
I've been playing with the new version of Marvin and the calibre iOS device driver. I have done some work with Collections, as well as the "Subjects" section that shows the various calibre tags and the associated book. That led me to wonder what other Marvin users are doing for organization.

Basically, are people using calibre tags as a way to separate out books, or Collections? I can see the benefit of both ways.

On the one hand, calibre tags come across automatically, and are listed under Subjects. That means that I can leverage the work I've done over time with tags for my books, including usage of the Goodreads plugin to get genre and other tags for my books. But the tags are under Subjects and not at the "top level", so they feel like they are buried a bit.

When I was using iBooks, I used different Collections for things like series. Obviously, I don't have to do that in Marvin, since the handy Series section shows all of my series. Other than that, I didn't use Collections for much inside of iBooks.

A good thing is that I can still manage Collections AND tags within Marvin, just in different places. Basically, Marvin is so darn capable and flexible that I can manage my books and metadata in many different ways!

So, what are others doing? All Collections? All tags? Some of both?

h.b.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #1620
CtB

Kris,
Some 700 bookmarks/highlights, so it was plenty fast once I got to Marvin.

Thanks again,
Caleb
Closed Thread