Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #31
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What spooky69 is trying to say is that he likes the silver, has not seen a blue, and feels this discussion is worthless as everyone should just be happy with the functionality of their 505 regardless of what color it is.
Well-put!
Edit: Although I certainly don't feel that this discussion is worthless! I was just sassily saying that it's not in the spirit of the more-or-less straightforward information intake that the Reader provides, and the presumed self-improvement that would accompany that, to be worrying about the color of the device! On the other hand, I know this just a sociable, light-hearted discussion topic and I was mostly hoping to offer a wacky and mildly-inappropriate aside. Were my efforts a success? That's up to God to decide, but one thing's for sure: I sure do like hearing myself type.

Last edited by spooky69; 01-13-2008 at 01:48 PM.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
activea
activea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
They're the same electronically. I think I would order a blue one over a silver one, since as you point out there is more contrast between the case and the screen, to help keep the eyes focused on the screen better.
Yes i believe contrast is most important when it comes to choose the color.
I purchased the blue one
activea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #33
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
My 2 cents worth as well:

I travelled from New Zealand to LA on business and went to a Sony Store specifically to get the blue reader. I even called from NZ to ensure they had stock! I looked at both on the store and purchased the blue model.....

Being a tad thristy after the bus trip through south central (shock horror in LA ) I wandered out of the store to find a coffee (actually a green tea frappacino which was shockingly bad!), sat down to read the preloaded books and excerpts only to find that after about 20 minutes the case's purplish tinge was really disconcerting. It looked good and blue in the shop but under natural light looked very different.

A quick walk back to the shop and one pain-free exchange later I was back outside (proper coffee this time) and more than happy with the silver - and have been since.

Of course asthetics are completely personal so my point should be moot - I think you'll love it anyway
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #34
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
How true. I got the blue because it did seem to make the words stand out a bit better but not a great deal. Very happy with it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #35
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

ditto, the blue does make the screen _appear_ to have more contrast, which is why when I first saw the kindle with its white case, the initial reaction was the sony screen looks better. then noticing the similar quality when compared sidebyside.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #36
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

The black 505 (who are they kidding, it isn't blue!) is a finger print trap.

I also figure that the colour must be some kind of paint and will start to flake off.

I would recommend the silver to anyone who asks me.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #37
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I got the silver one...it's what borders had.

All I have to add here
mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #38
prom king
Sloshed
prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sony PRS-500
I have black mask and I'm happy with it. Even that SONY logo above which is silver sometime bothers me because it reflects sun in my eyes so I can't even imagine how this silver mask readers shine.
prom king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #39
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have the blue one. I also bought the black leather case. I don't think they match very well. So from a purely cosmetic point of view, I'd rather have the silver Reader now.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #40
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 505 Has arrivedand I have to say I'm very happy with the Blue, it's charging but I can tell it'll be fine to read. The Setup was a breeze since I already had the Library software installed. The weight seems just about right. Can't wait until its charged to see the screen.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:18 AM   #41
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrh View Post
The black 505 (who are they kidding, it isn't blue!) is a finger print trap.

I also figure that the colour must be some kind of paint and will start to flake off.

I would recommend the silver to anyone who asks me.
It is definately blue when you see it in the flesh so to speak. It does catch finger prints, but I think it is much better than the silver personally.

Also: it's not paint, the case is aluminium and the colouring is anodised, which means the colour permeates the top 4 1/1000's of an inch of the metal. A deep scratch can damage the colour but it won't rub off anytime soon.
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #42
mack 120
Enthusiast
mack 120 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPad, Samsung NC10, IPhone 3GS, iMac, Sony PRS505 (broke)
Hi just to add to this discussion.

I live in the Uk and friends very kindly said they would pick an e reader up for me when they were on holiday in the US. I asked for a blue sony e reader, gave them the address of the nearest Borders store gave them the code for the blue variety. I like previous people like the contrast between the screen and the darker border. Imagine my horror when i opened the box and found a silver one. But all is well. I have had my silver reader for 1 month now, and im over the moon with it. The colour doesn't bother me. Im also so grateful to Leaping Gnome for acquiring vouchers for me to fully enjoy the experience.
mack 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 AM   #43
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom king View Post
I have black mask and I'm happy with it. Even that SONY logo above which is silver sometime bothers me because it reflects sun in my eyes so I can't even imagine how this silver mask readers shine.
The screen itself is actually much more reflective than the metal. It's more of a smoky color...I can't think of the word you'd use to describe the type of finish it has (I'd really appreciate it if someone could step in with this one since it's bugging me!), but it's not chrome-like or anything and disperses light very effectively.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:38 AM   #44
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I think the word spooky69 may be searching for is "matte" as opposed to "bright" or "shiny."
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #45
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Hello there everybody,

I found this forum yesterday (got the 505 the day before) and been reading for awhile getting some feedback about light (decidd for the bug), cases (thinking about sth diy), bookchairs (definitly diy) and chargers (psp), when I have seen this funny post and decided to open up.

I have the blue one. I wanted the silver, but considered color secondary when bidding on ebay. Blues happen to be cheaper. ANd from Spain, ther is no bettr way to buy the reader.

I liked the blue one better, but there are reasons to pick one of another for other than aesthetics.

Main reason is heating. If you pretend to read in the sun, you want to get the silver one, as it will reflect the light (for being light, not for being silver) and wont absorb heat. The blue one will absorb light (for being dark) and get hot in the sunlight. If forgotten or used in the sun for a long period of time, the risk of overheating is much higher in the dark one.

The reason (small one at that) to prefer the gray one might be that it reflects less light and therefor is less bothersome if your bed partner is sensitive to light when he/she is sleeping and you reading. Not my problem

Another funny issue is the color of furniture. Mine is pretty dark, and when you place the closed 505 on the table, it sort of vanishes. I retrieved it half a second short of my wife putting a salad bowl on top of it.

Thanks a lot for all the info gathered here. I'll probably be around.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote