Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #20251
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm on the last book of The Wheel of Time.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #20252
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm on the last book of The Wheel of Time.
Congrats! I've still only re-read the first four books.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #20253
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, that was fun. Ridiculous, but fun. On to another book from this month's Baen Bundle - Eight Million Gods. I read this when it originally released, but it was a loan, so I was glad to pick up a copy in the bundle. And it's time for a re-read.
Devoured. And enjoyed. Ms. Spencer has a very weird mind sometimes, but I quite enjoy her books.

Also, read The Martian based on recommendations here. And enjoyed it quite a bit. Thanks!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 AM   #20254
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by missimpossible View Post
Hey, thanks for this! I just finished The Shining Girls and I didn't know anything about Beukes' other works. I'm pretty tempted to check this out! I liked The Shining Girls a lot, though there were some aspect I think could have been done better (thought the ending was a little abrupt).
I really enjoyed it. Like The Shining Girls this one had me hooked and had so much to contemplate. The supernatural aspect isn't explored to the depth I'd like and leaves quite a few questions, but that's something I enjoy in her work.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #20255
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Dead Man's Folly" by Agatha Christie. This was her 58th book, and was originally published in 1956.

Famed crime novelist Ariadne Oliver is invited to plan a "Murder Hunt" at a stately home in the SW of England. She is uneasy about the situation she discovers there, and asks her old friend Hercule Poirot for help. Despite Poirot's presence, the murder soon becomes real, and Poirot investigates.

Not one of Christie's better books, to my mind. It's all a bit of a caricature of an "English Country House" murder and really didn't work for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #20256
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Just finished Fifty Shades of Grey Audiobook. My first I finished in years. No time to read, only have time to listen.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #20257
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Curse of the Pharoahs by Elizabeth Peters. The second in the Amelia Peabody series, which I picked up cheaply in January this year.
Which was fun, especially when one knows what's next door to the tomb they're excavating.

(BTW, I read Eight Million Gods a while back and really enjoyed it too.)

Next up: My most recent purchase (I think): Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross. Set in his Saturn's Children universe. Looking very good so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #20258
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've finally finished reading Inamorata. The premis was quite interesting but it took 75% to 80% of the book to get to the interesting/exciting part. It seemed to me that it was a short story that had been padded and stretched into a novel.

There's a movie called The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants that's recently been playing on several of my cable movie channels. So I've decided to read the book it was based on, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood #1) by Ann Brashares.
Quote:
Just after I started reading Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (just 10% read), I received an email announcing the release of "Second Suicide: A Short Story by Hugh Howey". So I invested the 99 cents at Amazon and got a copy. It was well worth the minimal expense and the interruption to read it. In fact I'd like to see Hugh expand it into a novel.

Now back to Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants!
I completed reading Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and was highly entertained by it. Like most books I've read that have a movie that has been based on them, the original book far outshines the resulting movie. That's not saying that the movie is not good (the one based on this book certainly was), just that the book is almost always much better, as was the novel Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Now on to another novel, but I've not yet decided which book on my TBR list to start reading next.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #20259
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
And now, since I have some catching up to do after a month of little reading time, I'm going for a double in my this year's sub-challenges (two of which were "read at least 12 paper books" and "read at least 12 Doctor Who books") and I'm reading a paperback of Dan Abnett's The Silent Stars Go By, an Eleventh Doctor, Amy & Rory adventure. Enjoying it a great deal so far.
And continued enjoying The Silent Stars Go By. Very definitely my favourite Eleventh Doctor adventure I've read so far, and one that cements my realisation that while I gave up watching New!Who mid-season six due to not caring about the season arcs and a lot of what was going on on-screen, my problems didn't stem with Eleven or his core team and I can still read and enjoy their written adventures.

After that, I read The Outlaw Demon Wails (sixth in Kim Harrison's The Hollows series) and .... well, with this book, I can finally say I'm really glad I've persisted with the series even through all the things I disliked. My favourite book in the series so far and one that gives me hope for the remaining ones. Even if it did still have too many epithets ("the young-seeming elf", "the scarred man", "the uncomfortable man", "the older rock star" all in a matter of a few pages, to refer to people we've known by name for 4-6 books and whom the first-person narrator is familiar with ... urgh, no, please).

Last night I started Heaven's Queen by Rachel Bach, the third (and, I believe, last book in the Paradox series/trilogy). I enjoyed the first two books a great deal although the second left me with some doubts as to whether I will like the third one, but so far, so good.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:16 AM   #20260
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Having finished (and thoroughly enjoyed) Tom Holt's latest, I'm starting the eighth of Simon R. Green's "Secret Histories" (aka "Drood") books, Property of a Lady Faire. From there, I'm torn. Do I proceed to his short story collection, stay in the same vein with Jim Butcher's Skin Game, or veer off onto Sparrow Hill Lane with Seanan McGuire?

Decisions, decisions...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:35 AM   #20261
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm currently reading "Shadows of Night" by Deborah Harkness, the second book in her All Hallows trilogy. I'm only about 35% in, but I like it so far.

However, I can understand the mixed reviews. The travel back in time so Diana (one of the two main characters) can learn how to be a witch has yet to happen after a third of the book. Also the search for the book Diana and Matthew are after hasn't continued, which was another reason to travel back in time. From the description it seems this book has another quest and will return to the original one in the final book.

I do like this book, but I also wish Harkness would have stuck with one quest. I hope Diana and Matthew are able to do in the past what they set out to do.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #20262
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: My most recent purchase (I think): Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross. Set in his Saturn's Children universe.
Still looking very good, but now I'm also reading a loaned paperback: Don't Panic by Neil Gaiman (2002 edition), about Douglas Adams and The HitchHikers' Guide to the Galaxy.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #20263
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Finished The Rise and Fall of Great Powers by Tom Rachman. What a fabulous book! This book was brilliant in every way; great characters, smartly written, no loose ends. A very very good book I'd recommend to anyone.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #20264
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
...I received an email announcing the release of "Second Suicide: A Short Story by Hugh Howey". So I invested the 99 cents at Amazon and got a copy. It was well worth the minimal expense and the interruption to read it. In fact I'd like to see Hugh expand it into a novel.

Thanks for the heads up . Just bought it for 77 pence from Amazon UK.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #20265
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I finished Tom Holt's Lucia in Wartime, a continuation of E.F. Benson's Mapp & Lucia series. I absolutely loved it. He captured the characters wonderfully and it was delight to return to the village of Tilling.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote