Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #31
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Has to be a 5 way tie as I read the first 5 books in the A Song of Fire and Ice. I am addicted and read then all this year.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 AM   #32
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
"White Heat: An Edie Kiglatuk Mystery" by M.J. McGrath. Set in an modern Inuit community it was shortlisted for the CWA Gold Dagger 2011 you can read what they said here http://www.thecwa.co.uk/daggers/2011/gold.html I really liked the different setting and people. The crime part was good as well.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #33
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
For me it was Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I chose it as a SF&F selection, but was enthralled with the Historical Fiction/Adventure aspect of the story as it's not something I'd typically read.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #34
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
MY book of the year is the saddest book I've read:
Ivan Noble: Like a Hole in the Head
(http://copac.ac.uk/search?isn=%200340864281&rn=1)
about the fight of the author against brain cancer.
It is a collection of diary entries that have first been published 2002-2005 on the BBC sites where they can still be read
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2253201.stm).
The book is sad in itself, but greatly adding to the sadness was the fact that I knew the author; we've once worked together.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
MY book of the year is the saddest book I've read:
Ivan Noble: Like a Hole in the Head
(http://copac.ac.uk/search?isn=%200340864281&rn=1)
about the fight of the author against brain cancer.
It is a collection of diary entries that have first been published 2002-2005 on the BBC sites where they can still be read
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2253201.stm).
The book is sad in itself, but greatly adding to the sadness was the fact that I knew the author; we've once worked together.
Oh my! That must be hard!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #36
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
It was! I can still remember like it was when I've noticed the book, was positively surprised that he had written a book and all curiosity and then came the cold shower when I read the content description.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Non fiction: Rise to Greatness, Abraham Lincoln and America's Most Perilous Year, by David Von Drehle

Fiction: The Blade Itself, Joe Abercrombie (if you like "Game of Thrones" then check this trilogy out - I am on book two but the Blade is book one)
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #38
rah68
readaholic
rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Sooo many to choose from.....

Fevre Dream.....George RR Martin, Fantasy, Vampire.......

11/22/63.........Stephen King, Fantasy.....I have to admit, this was my first foray with Mr King in an eBook.....I have everything else he has written in hardcover.
rah68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #39
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Same here. Great book!
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #40
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
The best book I've read that I've completed is London Falling by Paul Cornell. However I'm two-thirds of the way through Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch and unless it deteriorates rapidly it's going to be my book of the year.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #41
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Most of my 5 star books this year were rereads, so I'll stick with the following three titles:

A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin
Okay, this is more like a chunk of a bigger story but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling. Yes, this. It was so much better than I dared to hope. Not a pleasant story, but a rather good portrait of the British middle class society in the 21st century.

The best non-fiction book I read was The Cholesterol Delusion by Ernest N. Curtis. A short book, but full of fascinating facts and it makes you think.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #42
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I first picked this up because I love anything about runners and running and bawled most of the last half and was humbled at the strength that some of the POW's had to survive such torture and deprivation.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #43
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
My best books were

reread of The Immense Journey by Loren Eiseley

also The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #44
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I read a ton of awesome books this year but my nod has to go to That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley. It's just a very atmospheric and very well done Cthulhu-mythos novel.

A very close 2nd would be the Progenitor trilogy by Dan Worth. An awesomely epic space opera series that practically had me standing and cheering by the end.

Last edited by xg4bx; 12-24-2012 at 09:15 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #45
shattler
shattler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-300
My best book of the year was 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It had history, time travel, romance, and a great story.
shattler is offline   Reply With Quote