Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Value Tablet for Kids

I'm looking into a tablet for kids.

They like to play games, so I figure on a 10 inch screen. Being into games, I think it's important that it has a reasonable processor and a fair amount of RAM. At the same time, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I am looking for value.

Wireless capability will be important.

They are kids (6 and 8) so the more robust it is the better, but I suppose all tablets are equally fragile. The location is Spain if that makes a difference.

I don't really want a very proprietary format (Amazon, Apple). The more open the platform the better. I think Android would be the best way to go with a greater offering of software. Thanks.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would not let any 6 or 8-year-old use a tablet. They are not toys, and will not stand up to rough treatment.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Firstly, I agree with what Harry T said.

Secondly, I do not think Android has a better tablet gaming app library than iOS. I own an Android tablet, and though I didn't buy it for gaming, I was disappointed to see that many games I wanted to play were iOS exclusive. (And there were also some available for Android, but not for my specific tablet.) However, this does depend on what kinds of games you like. If I were buying a tablet for gaming, I would buy an iPad. (Unless I were emulating)
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Less bang for your buck though, no?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
@Rizla - How about the Google Nexus? Just $199 (although.. it doesn't fit your size requirement)

(*The kids in our home prefer the IPad though and they're very careful with it - 5 years old and 10 years old)
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
For games, I think, 7 inch tablet is more apt.. Try playing temple run on an android 7" and a 10" and you'll know. However, iOS is a better platform for gaming, and iPad does not have a 7 incher....

But, overall, I would suggest an iPad over any other tab for gaming.. This is coming from a guy who uses ASUS transformer and the only apple product that I have is an iPod nano.
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
My 8 year old niece uses my tablets all the time and is more careful with them than I am . She prefers my Asus Transformer TF101 as it has a larger screen. "Older" models like the TF101 (or similar Acer models) can often be found as refurbs now for less than $200, although I don't know about shipping outside the US.

She also has an iPod Touch and there are a few games that she plays that just can't be had on Android, but it hasn't been any real problem so far.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Re: Bang for the buck.

When it comes to larger tablets, there isn't that much of a difference, especially when you compare the updated iPad2 they are also selling.

The Google Nexus 7, though, is currently the Android tablet most recommended, but it is 7".
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired

I'm surprised people are saying that 7" is >= 10" for games. I just assumed 10" was better.

I find tablets confusing. They all look the same to me

What are the options / issues re: CPU and RAM? Should one get one which allows memory expansion via SD-card? What kind of CPU is quick and what kind is looking slow these days?

Last edited by Rizla; 09-21-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My kids use my and their dad's iPads all the time and we've had no problems. The older one (10) has her own Nook Tablet with a N2A card and has had no problems. I have no problems with kids using tablets.

I think Apple is better than Android, but of course iPads are more expensive. I don't know that larger is necessarily better for games though. Everything is just smaller and it doesn't seem to bother my kids. They prefer the iPads but I think it's due to what games are available, not size. My daughter does a LOT of reading on the Nook Tablet, though, both when using it as a Nook, and on the Kindle app when using it as an Android tablet.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote