Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Jerry
Edge User

How do you switch off the tablet and still use the reader

I can't find any reference to switching off the tablet and leaving the reader on , yet this is one of the advertised features to preserving battery life.

Is this possible ?

Old 11-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

It's just the LCD backlighting that's turned off, which does save a lot of battery life.

First, add the Power Control widget to your LCD home screen (tap-and-hold an empty area on the LCD, select "Widgets", then "Power Control"). To turn off the LCD, tap the Lock symbol (the one on the far right).

You can also set a screen timeout using Menu - Settings - Sound & Display - Screen Timeout. For longer timeout options, you can install the "MySettings" app from SlideMe.org.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Jerry
Edge User

Thanks Borisb , I worked that out but had hoped there would be a minimal to 0 zero power use setting.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
sladwig
Edge User

Screen lock to turn off LCD

I would never dispute anything BorisB says :-) but the screen lock will turn off the LCD.

So will the procedure Boris suggests, of course.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Thanks Borisb , I worked that out but had hoped there would be a minimal to 0 zero power use setting.
The LCD and eInk are two displays on the same device (CPU), so turning the power off on the LCD side completely would render the eInk "dead" as well.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladwig View Post
I would never dispute anything BorisB says :-) but the screen lock will turn off the LCD.

So will the procedure Boris suggests, of course.
I've always assumed these two are actually the same thing/function...

Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Jerry
Edge User

If I leave it screen locked after a while the Reader locks up . If say I m reading a book, then nip off for a few hours when I get back the Reader is frozen, I then have to unlock the Tablet.

It would be great to have areader only mode and minimise on activity.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
keng2000
Edge User

I wonder that in HSN web said Pocket Edge has Android 2.2 for LCD and Linux for Reader.....

If you can get the program to capture information on Power status during the LCD off you can see How much battery usage for LCD, for Battery on, it shows at least 45%,

Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
I wonder that in HSN web said Pocket Edge has Android 2.2 for LCD and Linux for Reader.....
Retailers sometimes get confused about the technical details. In this case, the Pocket eDGe ships with Android 1.6, and since Android is a version of Linux (like Ubuntu, for example), they're essentially the one and the same. If you want to write an app for the LCD side, you have to write an Android app. enTourage hasn't released the technical info yet about how to write apps that run on the eInk side, so it's not clear yet if they'll be Android apps or if you have to write them at the lower Linux level.