Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
rudysplif
rudysplif began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad V2
Bypassing iDS

Hi, I should be getting my iLiad anyday now...

I'm looking to use it as a standalone device, I'm not interested in managing its contents with a pc. After unlocking it, I would like it to be simply another linux box (that I use for reading).

How tightly is it tied to iDS? Are the updates that iRex ship out simply pkgs/scripts/tars that I can apply myself?

Are there certain parts of the OS that are locked down, or could have it boot to terminal if I choose.

Thanks,
rudy
rudysplif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The IDS delivers software updates in a few ways depending on the scope of the update. Sometimes it is a single file or files untarred to replace specific files. Somtimes it's a file system image, sometimes it's a custom installer with scripts to update the boot loader and/or kernel. But in every case, you'll need to download the updates via the IDS connection on your iLiad. You choose when to initiate the update, so you could choose to never update the software if you like. But it's probably best if you let IDS perform the update if you want it.

The OS is pretty open, you can do whatever you like with it. If you want it to boot and only launch a terminal, you can do that (although, I don't know what you'd gain...).

Short of building a new user interface from scratch, using what's provided by iRex is the best choice as of now. I think things will make a lot more sense when you get your iLiad and start tinkering with it.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
rudysplif

Thanks for the reply Adam,

It's true, no point in booting to terminal. But looking at the current content lister (from what people say about it), I would like to scrap it, get it out of memory and code up something simple myself. I'd rather a simple text list over clunky icons.

Also, I'm not too interested in surfing the web on it, but I do want to read all my news on it. I'm writing some python code that can strip out all the news text from my favourite sites.

I've read that the iLiad can power up-sync-power down. I'm hoping that I can rig my iLiad to pull down all my papers/blogs into text/simple html articles for my morning read.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudysplif View Post
It's true, no point in booting to terminal. But looking at the current content lister (from what people say about it), I would like to scrap it, get it out of memory and code up something simple myself. I'd rather a simple text list over clunky icons.
Good luck to you if you do. However, keep it mind that the contentlister does more than just listing content. It also handles button presses, connectivity, etc. I think there was a thread on it at some point.

Quote:
I've read that the iLiad can power up-sync-power down. I'm hoping that I can rig my iLiad to pull down all my papers/blogs into text/simple html articles for my morning read.
Unfortunately, it can only do this to connect to IDS. Hopefully they fix that with a future update.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
rudysplif

Thanks again Adam, I'll probably be asking you a bunch more questions in the future.

However, for now I think you're right, I should actually get my iLiad and play with it a bit before cooking up too many ideas.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Unfortunately, it can only do this to connect to IDS. Hopefully they fix that with a future update.
Has anyone tried to set up a local DNS server to re-route the iDS connection to a server of their choosing - ie a local server whose logs can be inspected closely?

This might be a way to get the auto-connect feature to work with a server other than the offical one...
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
jatqceer
jatqceer began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocelet View Post
Has anyone tried to set up a local DNS server to re-route the iDS connection to a server of their choosing - ie a local server whose logs can be inspected closely?

This might be a way to get the auto-connect feature to work with a server other than the offical one...
Have they released their iDS protocol yet? If not, you are probably asking a reverse engineering job.
jatqceer is offline   Reply With Quote